FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. tdt_115

tdt_115 New Member

Aug 12, 2014

Karen McDermott has great study guides.

2. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Rookie

Sep 5, 2014

Thank you for this! I only hope its still relevant since the test is now digital. ;)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2014

Welcome to A to Z, Prof. Chaos.

(I posted about RICA: bad me.)

CSET English has changed a bit in coverage with the shift to the digital format - and the shift to Common Core standards - but my sense is that there's simply a shift in emphasis toward nonliterary texts and analysis, and perhaps more stress on savvy consumption and production of media.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. Darwin Capit

Darwin Capit New Member

Sep 26, 2014

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

5. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Oct 17, 2014

Hi Elmer,
    I have to take the English 5038 test. I am not in California. I live in TN. What test were these from exactly? The notes are very thorough and some seem like they would be relevant to my test but I always double check everything lol. Thank you.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2014

5038 sounds like a Praxis test number. Experience suggests that these glossaries should work perfectly well for Praxis - one might see less of theatre in 5038 than in CSET English, but a grasp of the terminology for theatre shouldn't hurt.

7. gradschool92

gradschool92 Rookie

Oct 18, 2014

Hello,

I was a BS Psychology in college, planning to go for a MA Teaching/Cred. in English. As far as my background in English goes, I had my English classes in high school and during college, took a handful of English courses. Unfortunately, I am in a panic, especially when I recently gleamed over the CSET English subtests. It has been a while, so some of the terminology and literary information is foreign to me. I already downloaded Elmer's resources (so thankful); I am also wondering what books to buy off Amazon. I am planning to take the test in 2 months, so there is not much time. I definitely need to pass!

Any advice on what to do? I would be so thankful.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 18, 2014

CSET English comprises 100 multiple choice questions, four of what Pearson calls "focused" responses (150-300 words), and two of the longest "extended" responses in all of CSET (or teacher testing, for that matter); if one takes the thing in one go, the test appointment is five hours, though most takers split the subtests up in order to get more time. The focused responses in Subtest IV cover ground that most other states' English tests don't because those states don't lump speech/communications, journalism, and theatre arts in under the English credential/license. If you prep as though you're taking CSET English (wave at Subtest IV), you should be nicely overprepared, and with luck you'll have knocked the rust off your high-school and college English course while exploring ways in which your BS in psychology can be leveraged for teaching and learning English.

For now, breathe, please.

9. gradschool92

gradschool92 Rookie

Oct 21, 2014

Thanks so much TeacherGroupie!

Are there any particular books that you would recommend? I have bought one so far (CSET English Subtests I-IV Book + Online (CSET Teacher Certification Test Prep of REA).

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2014

To be honest, gradschool, I tend not to recommend any of 'em. Remind me what domains 5038 covers and I'll make a couple of suggestions.

11. wayne123

wayne123 New Member

Dec 16, 2014

Hello,

I am new...I took the 5038test 5 times and have not been able to pass 157- 158...what can I do.. I tried exam edge ets book and endless hours of studying...HELP!!!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 16, 2014

Your official score reports should give some diagnostic indicators in addition to the scores themselves. What part of the subject matter seems to be giving you the most grief?

13. nmoureaux

nmoureaux New Member

Jan 13, 2015

Hello All!

Im new here, and hoping this thread isn't completely dead...

I just took subtests I and II of the CSET this past Saturday. I don't have my official scores back yet, but since everything is electronic now, I got a printout with pass/not pass immediately. I passed the subtest II with ease, but I failed subtest I :(

I was an English major in college and graduated with honors a couple years ago. I thought I would be okay with subtest I, but obviously I was not! I am shocked at how difficult that test was. I have always been "good" at literature analysis, although my strongest areas by far are composition, grammar, and linguistics. I don't feel extremely confident with literature, but I do have the REA book, and thought it gave me a decent review of literary periods, genres, and elements.

I almost felt like a lot of the questions were trying to trick me... It seemed that many of the questions had 2 answers that were obviously incorrect, but then 2 that could be correct. Did I just overthink it? Im not sure. Any help anyone can give me would be very appreciated. I'll need to retake the test in the next 6 weeks for my credential program... AHHH!

Im also taking subtest III and IV in about 3 weeks and I am now very worried about those.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2015

Hugs, nmoureaux. How are you generally as a taker of multiple choice tests?

15. nmoureaux

nmoureaux New Member

Jan 13, 2015

I wouldn't say I'm great, but I have always been able to get by. :dizzy: I have definitely always been more confident with short answer and essay responses.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2015

Try treating each multiple choice question as a little baby constructed response: cover the possible answers, figure out what YOU think the answer is, then map that onto the possible answers.

17. team_trevino

team_trevino New Member

Jan 14, 2015

3RD Time reataking CSET 1 &3

I agree with nmoureaux!
    I have taken cset English subtest 1 & 3 3x times each and Im beginning to feel frusturated. Im near the end of my credential program and need to pass these asap. I feel the same way when taking the tests I feel like a lot of the questions were trying to trick me as well. I agree with these previous response each question literally has two very good responses. I was also curious if the tests have changed since Nov of 2014 due to the changes in the csets because of the new CCCSS? It is interesting that the results print out automatically is that the new method as of 2015? What did you use to study for CSET 2 because both that one and 1 are giving me a hard time? As far as subtest 3 and 4 I passed those on the first attempt and just used the exact study guide off the cset practice guides it was the same exact format. Hope this helps because I am getting really discouraged? :(

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2015

There's a greater emphasis on non-literary texts (and the production and comprehension thereof) than there was in the pre-CCSS Subtest I, and the last task in Subtest IV has been reconfigured slightly (though it will still respond to the same tools), but changes to the content overall seem subtle rather than slight. What's really different is the format: with the computer-based test, one no longer has the luxury of spending five hours on just one or two subtests.

19. nmoureaux

nmoureaux New Member

Jan 17, 2015

Thanks TeacherGroupie, I'll try that next time. I have been volunteering in a HS AP English class, and I think some of their multiple choice test prep strategies will actually help me. Keeping my fingers crossed for next time. I have decided that I am definitely not a fan of multiple choice!

team_trevino, I used the REA book to prepare for the subtest II, and I thought the ESL portion of it was pretty good, but the linguistics/grammar portion could use some work. The content on subtest II was my main area of study as an undergrad, so I didn't need a ton of review in that area. Hopefully I can help... is the linguistics or the ESL portion giving you more trouble?

20. team_trevino

team_trevino New Member

Jan 22, 2015

Yes agreed I am currently studying that right now as I type the ESL portion is helpful, but it is the linguistics part that I am struggling with! I passed 3/4 with a breeze because that was my focus as an undergrad as well but 1/2 are difficult because my anxiety of taking multiple choice tests gets in the way :(

21. OmahaTim

OmahaTim New Member

Mar 5, 2015

Hi, I'm new. This is my first post. I'm taking the Praxis II 5039 exam later this month. Any advice would be welcome.

A little background -- I'm a career switcher, and I'm looking at getting a teaching certificate to teach high school English. I already have an MA in English (I largely focused on American Lit.) I've taken an ETS practice test and I wasn't thrilled with how I did. I'm going back over trouble spot areas, but I'm not sure what more to do at this point.

Thanks.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 6, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, OmahaTim!

First, breathe. Second, don't panic. Third, breathe.

If you ever were a TA or tutor for freshman composition, you're probably in better shape than you think. You may need to bone up on language structure and literacy issues, however; for the latter, let me recommend rummaging through Nebraska's English-language arts standards - start with the kindergarten standards, please - and using the Internet to research any technical term you don't know cold. You can also ask questions here.

23. OmahaTim

OmahaTim New Member

Mar 9, 2015

Thanks for the advice on Praxis 5039

Thanks for the advice. I plan on giving ETS more money so I have access to an additional practice test prior to taking the real thing.

I think I'm largely okay on lit. and I came out okay (mostly) on grammar during Praxis I. The things I'm worried about -- education/classroom terms and jargon and the two essays at the end. With the two 15-minute essays, I have to fight my real-world experience of being a careful writer who revises (there's simply no time.) Also, my brain is likely to be jelly after three hours of multiple choice testing . . .I know I won't be at my best for an essay.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2015

As for the jargon, reread the 5039 "About This Test" description" and test specifications, please. How many lines are given to education/classroom issues, compared to language and literature content?

As for the constructed responses, you have half an hour for both. Please read and take to heart the discussion at the beginning of page 25.

25. OmahaTim

OmahaTim New Member

Mar 10, 2015

I looked again at my 5039 prep materials. It's a half hour for both CRs as I read it. I'll check out page 25. Thanks.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2015

Half an hour for both, yup. Don't over-polish your prose, please.

27. team_trevino

team_trevino New Member

Mar 12, 2015

I wanna cry updating this post :( I still cannot pass CSET English subtest 1&2! I am two months away from student teaching being over and having to submit my scores :( If i cant pass this stupid multiple choice test I will not get hired which sucks. I used the REA book and that helped me at all? I also tried looking for a tutor and online workshops and it seems to be a dead end.

28. hogue_97

hogue_97 New Member

Mar 21, 2015

Just wanted to say "thank you" for these awesome resources! I decided on Thursday 3/12 that I was taking Praxis 5038 on 3/17 so I basically had four days to prepare! I'd taken lit classes in HS, but since I graduated in 1994, it has been over 20 years since I'd taken a lit class.

Thanks to these resources, I passed with 191/200! I took the ETS practice test and two others that I paid for online, but these resources were a huge help!

Mary

29. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Mar 21, 2015

Any suggestions on what to focus on? I have a social studies certification and have been reviewing the information for the 5038 Praxis. My last literature class was in 1975. Poetry seems to be my biggest weakness.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 21, 2015

31. hogue_97

hogue_97 New Member

Mar 22, 2015

The study companion from ETS really helped me quite a bit. I focused on that and the English and Grammar resources that Elmer has shared and was very pleased with my score. I was also concerned about my poetry knowledge. I do okay with figuring out the meaning and theme, but struggle with knowing the feet based upon accent and unaccented syllables.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

33. raltine

raltine New Member

Apr 14, 2015

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post on. But I have been really thinking about transitioning from elementary to middle-high school. My patience is growing very thin with the little ones. The crying, the constant ridiculous fights, and how they easily forget directions. lol.

I'd like to work with older students because I figure at least they have the attention span to remember directions or at least can read them. Are there any pros and cons with making this switch. I know both age groups have their differences?

People tell my the little ones are more motivated and are respect authority more whereas the older ones have teenage hormones and get really disrespectful. I'm at a title one school, and this school is as title one as it can get. I deal with all hormones, attitudes, disrespect from parents and students, plus more. There isn't much of a difference to me. lol. I am from the area so none of these things really bother me. I know how to handle these things which I am very thankful for the experience and opportunity. It really made me grow as an educator. But now, I'd like to try something different. If anyone has made this move can you please share your experience? It would be greatly appreciated.

My strong areas are reading and writing. I've always been able to move my students to at least a years growth or more. I minored in English so I thought maybe becoming an English teacher would make sense. I am taking the FTCE English 6-12 in the next month. I don't know where to begin my studying. I downloaded the materials from Elmer's but is there anything else recommended?

I know this was a lengthy post but any response would be sooooo greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, raitine. Your posts have been consolidated: forum rules strongly discourage duplicate posts in multiple threads, on grounds that it dilutes the discussion. Reading through the posts on FTCE English 6-12 might serve you well to figure out more specific questions you have about preparation, and you're more than welcome to post those.

35. stevena305

stevena305 New Member

Apr 14, 2015

Hi very new to the board, taking the English subject area examination grades 6 through 12 for the state of Florida (in may). I'm taking it for the second time in as I study I noticed subtle differences in what they're looking for most appropriately grade level and competency of student. The teaching method questions still get me if I can get any advice on though that would be great. Additionally, I am disabled and get extra time but my writer for the essay portion is critical because I don't want to spend my entire essay spelling full words what's the best way to avoid this problem?

36. raltine

raltine New Member

Apr 15, 2015

TeacherGroupie,

I am so sorry. I did not know that, I would never purposely break any rules on here. I just wanted some feedback. Thank you, I will look on the posts. But can you please tell me how do I filter through and find those posts? I am very new to this site and there are tons of ins and outs I'm still trying to grasp.

Thank you!

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2015

First, pose your questions about test-taking and about classroom management separately: those are distinct issues, and you'll get better results dealing with each issue in a thread that's about that issue. I'd recommend the Single Subject Tests and General Education forums - not that it much matters, since veterans of A to Z tend not to search forum by forum for new posts: instead, they use one of the two "NEW:" links at the top right of the page, just under the "Welcome, raltine" message, to bring up a list of threads in which there have been new posts since the last time one signed onto A to Z.

I'll counsel against succumbing to the temptation to look only at threads on FTCE English itself. There may be differences in coverage among the states, but most of the concerns of secondary-level English are found in all states' tests, and a discussion prompted by a different state's test can prove enlightening. Of course, it's up to you to know what your test covers, and that's what the outline of competencies is for.

See the blue menu bar at the top of the page? It has a Search function, third from the right. You can use that to look for threads and posts relevant to your concerns.