FTCE English 6-12

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TheConspiracy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. KATeach

KATeach New Member

Feb 17, 2013

Thanks so much TeacherGroupie! I found the Myers-Schaffer's book on Amazon (my new friend) for ONE CENT plus shipping under five bucks total!

Heading for Wiki and in a month I will have the results!

2. amw55

amw55 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013

FTCE Help

First, I would just like to thank everyone who has posted helpful suggestions on here.

That being said, I am creating my own study guide right now. I will be taking the test on April 22. I am looking at the first set of skills that I should know and I noticed that the very first is "influences on language" which would include things like social influence and cultural influence.

Where would I begin to prepare for this portion of the exam?

My other question relates to literature. Should I be focusing on pieces of literature that are well-known? Or did the exam ask questions about less popular authors/works? This is the part that scares me the most. I do not want to go into this test thinking they will be asking about famous authors and then finding out that I have no idea about the authors they have questions about. Literature is so broad! Surely, there is at least some sort of idea about what types of literature pieces to be familiar with.

Thanks!

3. KATeach

KATeach New Member

Mar 17, 2013

update...

drum roll please......... NAILED IT!!!
    Not going to say it was easy, but all the resources recommended were of GREAT benefit. As test time grew close, I didn't have as much time as I wanted to read the summaries (Sparks Notes Lit 101), but because I organized my reading using the Cliff Notes Prep Book, I could match some of the authors/books. (imagine that!) The Principles of Lit (Myers-Shaffer) was especially good for the poetry/prose information.

I have another Praxis 4/13 that I'm going for a perfect score on, but after that I'm going through the Lit 101 book.

Thanks for the assistance and motivation!

4. aam

aam Rookie

Mar 18, 2013

Hi DramaLady, I know that these post are pretty old but do you still have the study guide. I would really appreciate the help!

5. aam

aam Rookie

Mar 18, 2013

Does anyone here have any good study guides for the English 6-12 exam.

6. amw55

amw55 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013

I've used the Elmer's link to study a little bit. Other than that I've got the XAM practice test 1 and another book by Alicia Mendoza. I'm hoping that those will be of help. I couldn't tell you if the books I have are good sources to study from because this will be my first attempt (and hopefully my last). I have a job that I would love that is depending on me passing.

For the most part, I've been using the practice tests that come with my study book. I am going through each answer and looking up anything that I do not know. I think that this has been the most helpful for me.

When do you take yours? I take mine April 22nd.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2013

I missed some of this on the first round; my apologies.

amw55, good for you for looking up material that you don't know. Are you also looking up terms in incorrect answers with which you aren't familiar? Let me recommend Answers.com as a look-it-up tool: it will serve up material (not links but information) from Wikipedia and other sources, and it is well and truly the test taker's ally.

Be prepared for the test to differ from what the prep books say. There are reasons for this, but the one that's most salient to the test taker is that the test makers issue each test in different versions: this makes it impossible for any source to prepare you for all and only the questions on one particular version (and that mindset misses the point anyway).

If you get stuck on a question during the test, try thinking about how you'd get a favorite advanced student through it.

8. aam

aam Rookie

Mar 20, 2013

exam study guide

DramaLady: Hi do you still have the study guide? I'm freaking out and anything will HELP!!! :)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 20, 2013

aam, hugs. Have you taken this test before?

10. aam

aam Rookie

Mar 21, 2013

No I haven't :(

11. aam

aam Rookie

Mar 21, 2013

TeacherGroupie- No I haven't. I am freaking out with the essay.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 21, 2013

Breathe, please.

What has you most concerned about the constructed response?

13. aam

aam Rookie

Mar 21, 2013

TeacherGroupie-when it comes to timed essays its as if I completely blank out. I've been studying a whole lot. I hope that the study guide I have helps. I have the REA book, do you know if this book will help?

14. Tehescmarts

Tehescmarts Rookie

Apr 4, 2013

Passed the test!

Yay! Took test mid-February 2013. Study method, the sample exam pdf, and links I put on my English Literature glog that I made. When I study I look up every distracter in the practice tests and the other info on the sample test. I found some great Quizlet flashcards. I found A to Z site with Elmer hints. Also, I went through Education Portal's English course. And it probably did help that I subbed as an English teacher for a month. There was really no way to know every single possible book. That was my most difficult part. The essay time went quickly but it was somewhat fun tearing apart a poem. I never did buy anything. Good luck all, you can do it!

15. amw55

amw55 Rookie

Apr 15, 2013

Hmm...

I took the test this morning. I really do not have any idea of how well I did on this test. I am really hoping that I passed. For those of you who took the test recently, did it take the full six weeks to get your score report? I find this to be a ridiculous amount of time, especially considering the price of the exam. Hopefully I will find out sooner than that.

16. Tehescmarts

Tehescmarts Rookie

Apr 18, 2013

It took about 5 weeks. Best wishes!

17. Tehescmarts

Tehescmarts Rookie

Apr 18, 2013

Social Science Test

Also made glog to study for social science test and passed that also. It has links to sample tests and study guides. And to Quizlet cards. Yay! Good luck to all. I think I am done studying now! Hopefully for a long long time. :)

18. amw55

amw55 Rookie

Apr 22, 2013

Thanks! :) Well I am still waiting for my results (it's driving me crazy!). I have actually had two schools that have contacted me. I've had one interview already, and I have another Friday. All I'm waiting on is to know if I passed!

I looked through the threads; is there a link to your English glog somewhere?

19. Cme10

Cme10 Rookie

Apr 26, 2013

Okay I took my test March 9th and five weeks later I PASSED! I got the book from my county (Santa Rosa) and looked up a lot of the things it said it would be testing for. I also picked apart several English teacher's brains. They all said the test was easy but I had to wonder if that is because they majored in English. I majored in Elementary Education K-6 as well as Exceptional Education K-12. There were very few questions that were author specific. Most of it as far as I am concerned is teaching strategy. I did not buy any books for the test because the reviews were horrible. I also was not able to use any resources here because I forgot my log in! Sure enough after I pass the test I remember my log in from 7 years ago....>__> But if anyone wants to chat in detail I'll be happy to help as much as I can!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2013

Congratulations, Cme10!

Discussing the test in broad outline is fair game, but please don't divulge actual specific test questions: the test companies can and do monitor this site for that sort of thing, and I hate to see anyone in trouble for it.

21. Tehescmarts

Tehescmarts Rookie

Apr 26, 2013

My glogs for the FTCE English and Social Science can be found by looking up Tehescmarts, eduglogster, and either English literature OR social science. Make sure you click on the bat, bird, and fly up in the title of the English literature glog. It is a lot to know. I do not think either of these are easy tests--the amount of information is so broad! I found doing a search for Quizlet and FTCE and English or Social Science was very helpful. I really like the practice flash cards. And Education Portal (the best!) and Annenberg Learner are amazing resources.

22. amw55

amw55 Rookie

May 14, 2013

Great news! I passed! :D Thanks so much to everyone on here.

By the way, Tehescmarts, I believe I saw you were in Santa Rosa county. I'm right next to you in Escambia! Small world. :)

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2013

Congratulations, amw55!

24. klbb

klbb New Member

Jul 7, 2013

Does anyone have any word document or internet resources that have summaries of literary works? I am taking the Praxis 0041 in two weeks and am starting to feel unprepared, despite studying multiple hours a day. I took the practice test on the ETS site and I scored really well (an 80% I believe,) but I know I can never be too prepared.

25. lovelysolovely

lovelysolovely New Member

Jul 9, 2013

I am taking the Praxis II 5041 is there any specific reading material that are a must have. Any tips? I was told I should by A Glossary of Literary Terms by M.H. Abrams

26. ametag

ametag New Member

Feb 12, 2014

HI!!

I am so glad to have found this website. I have only gone through half the posts and am feeling better prepared to take my test. I am looking to take 2 at a time and was wondering which I should pair up. I am not an English major but have always done well in the subject.

Thanks for any help!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 13, 2014

Welcome to A to Z, ametag.

How to pair up the subtests can differ from one test taker to the next: there's no right pairing.

Some test takers like to combine one multiple choice subtest with one constructed response subtest; in that case, Subtests I and III pair pretty naturally, because they cover the same domains (literary and nonliterary analysis plus composition and rhetoric); Subtests II and IV have somewhat less in common, though each does touch on argumentation and logic.

Other test takers like to lump the multiple choice subtests together and the constructed response subtests together; my one hesitation with that is that Subtest III features two of the CSET program's longest written responses at 300 to 600 words each; the Subtest IV responses are shorter, but there are still four, and the combination can be rather hard on one's writing hand. But test takers do combine the two successfully.

28. Cassie88

Cassie88 Rookie

Mar 24, 2014

FTCE English 6-12 HELP!!!! Feeling Frustrated

Hey everyone!!
    So I have taken the FTCE English 6-12 Exam 3 times.
    The first & second time I received a score of 181. The passing score is a 200.

The 3rd time I received a 191, again the passing score is 200. (I missed passing by 3 questions):(

I have been studying between 2 books & writing practice essays on my own free time. I also have a sister & her husband who are both English teachers who have been helping me study as well.

I was very disappointed when I received a non passing score the 3rd time around.:confused: I am studying a lot and doing everything in my power to make sure that I am fully prepared for the test. :thumb:

I had called my testing center & they said next time around there will be a score delay of an extra 2 weeks. So instead of getting my results in 5 weeks it will take 7 weeks & they are also revising the test as well & adding new content to it.

I feel at a loss and I don't know what more I can do to pass this test.

Any Advice will be helpful:thanks::D

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2014

Scores typically do get delayed when a new test or substantial revision of a test is first given. The increased wait isn't fun: you have my sympathy.

I'll guess that the test is being revised because the state standards have been revised, probably in the direction of Common Core standards. A good approach for you might be to download the current state standards for English/language arts and use them along with the new version of the Competencies document to identify what it is that you need to know, then look up every term or phrase you don't know cold - and I mean, Every. Single. Term - on the Internet. Then make a point of using those terms with your sister and brother-in-law: you want them helping you to sound like you've got university-level smarts in English/language arts.

30. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Mar 25, 2014

Have you thought about doing a score verification? According to exam website, if your score was within 10 points of passing then you can do a score verification session and review the questions you wrong. However, they will not tell you the correct answers nor will they inform you how to improve your responses. It's more so to see maybe if there were an error that the exam counted it as wrong.

The only problem is it's 75 dollars and the locations of where the sessions are held are very limited unless you live in or near Jacksonville, Miami, Tallahassee, or Orlando.

Also, you only get 2 minutes to review each missed question and the incorrect answer. So if you missed 3 questions, you only get 6 minutes to review them all and then you can challenge your responses by writing up a statement that will be reviewed by a committee or you can walk away with a better understanding of the questions you got wrong.

It's worth a shot because if you want to know which handful of questions you keep missing because even if they don't give you the correct answer of the question, you can remember them, identify the competencies of those questions, and study more material that way. So the next time you take the test, you won't have to worry about similar type questions again.

You seem to know your material very well though. I wish you the best of luck.

31. OutlawJesieJane

OutlawJesieJane New Member

Apr 24, 2014

English 6-12 Subject Matter Exam: FTCE

Can anyone give me more recent guidance on how to approach studying for this exam? I took it over 3 years ago and didn't pass. I need to take it again this summer and I heard it's been updated, but I don't have any specifics. Anyone willing to share some help?

Eternally grateful for any help you can provide...thanks!

32. OutlawJesieJane

OutlawJesieJane New Member

Apr 24, 2014

Yes, I would love some help. I need to take this exam this summer and hear it's very difficult.

33. Gricciardi

Gricciardi New Member

Apr 25, 2014

Any advice on what to study now that the test format has been updated???

Took the exam 2 mos. ago and did not pass... Waited for about 5wks. for my results (scored a 179 and needed at least a 200)...

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2014

The first place to start with any state's teacher test is the official free online guide to that test: what it says can be tested, can be tested.

After that, the goodies posted on the first page of the thread "Elmer's English resources" may be helpful. Teachers of English need to know and be able to use at least the technical terminology of literary analysis, rhetoric and composition, and linguistics.

35. Gricciardi

Gricciardi New Member

Apr 30, 2014

FTCE English 6-12 UPDATED exam!

Thanks so much for your advice and help! I will certainly look that up at the beginning of the thread :).

I took the exam about 2mos. ago and got a score of 178 out of the minimum 200 necessary to pass :(. I did not study as much as I should have but, I did go by the state's free study guide that you mentioned and also studied a correlating book by Mendoza which did help me.

However, they have now released a new version (go figure!!!!) of the state's study guide (the 5th edition to be exact) and since this study guide is SO new- there aren't any study test books available to go along with the study guide :((. Anyone have any advice and/or any guidance regarding this?!! I want to take the test ASAP but not too sure what to study from!!!

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for ANY help!!! :))

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 30, 2014

Pay attention to the differences between what the previous version says and what the new version says; if any new terminology is introduced, use the Internet to help you get a good grip on it. Other than that, it's broadly the case with secondary teacher tests that having a good enough grip on the subject matter to be able to reason with it will get you farther than practicing a particular test's questions. You might want to have a look at threads on relevant issues raised by other states' tests for English teachers.

37. Future Teacher

Future Teacher New Member

May 9, 2014

I've been doing research on how to study for this CSET! Can't wait to totally take advantage of the resources! Wanted to avoid the Cliff Notes books because I used one for my MS CSET and felt like it didn't have enough content...and this test is definitely a bigger deal than the other! Thank you for posting all of that information!

38. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

May 16, 2014

I'm pretty much in the same boat. The study guides won't be available until 2015. That alone has me super nervous. The Cliffs study guide was SO HELPFUL for the GK test. The format and structure of the questions were spot on, and it helped me zip through the test with time to spare.

I'm trying to compile my own study materials, but I honestly have no idea if they'll be exactly what I need.

So far I have:

Online-
    FTCE English 6-12 competencies 5th edition
    http://www.fl.nesinc.com/PDFs/English 6-12_TIG_5thEdition_DOE100913.pdf
    Elmer's English Notes (Amazingly detailed and in the forum)
    FTCE English Study guide Glog by Tehescmarts (forum member)
    http://tehescmarts.edu.glogster.com/english-literature/
    Sparknotes

Books recommended through forum-
    Norton Anthologies-English, American, African American
    How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster

Books included in FTCE competencies bibliography-
    Essentials of English Grammar by L. Baugh
    The English Teacher's companion by Jim Burke
    Reading and Responding in the Middle Grades by Lee Galda

Hope this is helpful. (Note: I didn't include any materials on teaching essay writing or linguistics. I teach ESL and Writing classes at a college, so I'm pretty comfortable with those areas.)

Does anyone have any solid recommendations on resources that will help with identifying what is grade level appropriate for English students? Also, any recs for a listing of secondary level educational terminology and application (i.e. thematic units, literature circles, think-pair-share etc.)

39. Future Teacher

Future Teacher New Member

Jul 9, 2014

so i'm hoping this forum isn't totally dead and can pull advice/info from people!

looking at the content breakdown, the first part of subtest II asks "recognize nature of human language, differences among languages, universality of linguistic structures, and change across time, locale, and communities." the study book i have doesn't provide much info on the first 3 parts and i don't see that it is covered on the study guides included on this thread.

does anyone have any suggestions on study material that provides the info?

thanks!

40. tdt_115

tdt_115 New Member

Aug 12, 2014

Any prospective future teachers in San Diego?

I'm looking for a study partner in the San Diego area for the CSET English. I have several great study guides, willing to share.