ftce english 6-12 essay

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by gumby611, Apr 21, 2016.

1. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

Does anyone have suggestions for the essay portion of the ftce english 6-12? I am re-taking it on Friday and so nervous.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2016

Hugs, gumby611. How well versed are you in the terminology of literary analysis?

4. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

I am well versed in literary analysis, I have a degree in English. I freeze up during essay tests, even when I was in school. I think I failed last time beccause I didn't discuss terms, and was all over the place with my cirtical analysis. I analyzed a poem, and can't even remember the poem or what I wrote! Poetry can be hard so this time I am going to choose the short story passage.
    Any advice?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2016

Take the test as though you're teaching someone else how to take it: imagine as vividly as possible that it's this other poor schlock who's on the hot seat, and you're there to give counsel.

taitinhte likes this.
  6. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

That's good advice! Thanks, I am also studying literary terms as you said earlier. Still nervous and the worst part is that if you fail, you have to wait 30 days before you can take again.

taitinhte likes this.
  7. JennyP

JennyP New Member

Apr 23, 2016

Out of curiosity, did you pass the multiple choice portion? I just took the exam today and passed multiple choice; I'm sure I will be waiting quite awhile for results on my essay. This was an extremely difficult exam to prepare for!

8. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 2, 2016

I passed the essay portion (chose short story), and I pretty much used the standard 5 paragraph format, as well as direct quotes from the story and used literary terminology to enhance my writing and strengthen the essay. I have not written an essay in over 15 years, so I was very, very nervous about this part! There are some good websites out there which will give more tips, but I will tell you that the time DOES pass quickly. My strategy was to set up all 5 paragraphs right at the beginning, so at least I would have them on paper in case time ran out. I then re-read the story, expounded on each point, revised and edited with about 4 seconds to spare! Mine was not a long essay, so don't get too caught up with length---just focus on the points you are trying to make and make them a succinct as possible.

I did not pass the multiple choice, but am retaking it this week, and ridiculously stressed over it as I've already taken once and failed. I really liked the Study Stack website, it's free, and if you type in the search engine what you need additional help with (teaching strategies, literary terms, famous authors, etc), you'll get several different options to choose from (just click on these until you find one you think is most comprehensive or suits your needs/weaknesses), and then you have many choices for learning including practice quizzes, matching, fill in the blank and several other study options. I also really liked the Spark Notes website for helping condense the plays, novels and poems I chose to focus on. It's basically a "Cliffs Notes" version of each, but I found that it gives a lot of the necessary info as far as symbolism, theme, character analysis and genre. There is quite a bit on the test pertaining to literary analysis, so definitely read up on famous literary works and their authors, including non American writers.

I'm not sure of your background, but know the teaching strategies----perhaps more importantly, make sure you understand the different strategies and know when to use each one. They will give you specific scenarios and while all answers may be right, you have to choose the BEST answer. This section was the most difficult for me as I'm a career change and do not have teaching experience or a teaching degree. These aren't something you can really "guess" on, as all the answer choices seem feasible.

Know Mass Media and technology, as there are several questions and scenarios on the test. I would suggest spending a good deal of time focusing on this section.

Good luck!

9. gumby611

gumby611 Rookie

May 5, 2016

Jenny,
    Yes I passed the multiple choice on the first try but didn't pass the essay. I recently re-took the essay and didn't finish, but it was only like the last 2-3 words. The rest of the essay I felt pretty good about. The only thing I don't know is if there was an option to double space. I didn't see one but felt like they would have wanted the essay double spaced. So stressed because I didn't even have time to go back and check my work. The essay results took a full 6 weeks last time. I found the multiple choice part pretty easy.

10. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 10, 2016

Any suggestions on brushing up on the media and technology portions of this test?

11. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 10, 2016

Hi Teacher Groupie,
    I have a question I've been stumped on. Checked online resources, the ftce study guide and asked teacher friends. Is tv the best media tool (vs newspaper, web, radio) to analyze mass media? I believe so as its audio and visual but looking for something more concrete!

Do you have suggestions on resources to review technology for the ftce English 6-12?

The Prohibition, tin Lizzie, Lindy Hop---these were social influences, correct?
    Retaking this week, so trying to tie up loose ends.

Thank you for any feedback!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2016

What do you mean by "the best media tool to analyze mass media"? Television IS a mass medium; it's a bit curious to use something as a tool - a means - to analyze itself.

If you're asking whether television is the best example of a mass medium to use in a constructed response, the answer is almost certainly no. This is a way in which a constructed response question can be open-ended: there's not one right answer, but what the scorers are looking for is (a) a choice on your part that's appropriate to the question and (b) a defense of your choice that shows a grasp of how the media in general work and how the medium you've chosen works. Think about how you could defend radio as a mass medium (YouTube carries one of my favorite bits ever by Stan Freberg). Think about the roles of print newspapers over the years, and go look up Watergate. Think about what it must have been like in the 1960s when there were just three national television channels (ABC, NBC, and CBS) to choose from, and pretty much everyone watched the news on (at least) one of them. Think about how the web differs from print, radio, and TV (hint: what are we doing here?)

Resources... I am sorry to find that the Media Literacy Project has closed down after 22 years, but the Center for Media Literacy is still with us at http://www.medialit.org and is likely to prove useful, as is the National Association for Media Literacy Education, https://namle.net. Try also the Journalism Education Association, and perhaps your state's branch.

13. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 10, 2016

Which form of mass media is the best to analyze? Newspapers? Web? Radio? TV? For example, if a teacher wanted her students to delve into a news story, which outlet would be most optimum for analyzing? I have found differing opinions online and the study guide I have doesn't say specifically. I realize that I may be over analyzing this matter, but fear is a powerful motivator!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2016

I think you don't understand "outlet". Television is a medium. ABC or a local ABC channel would be an outlet.

Look: the study guide correctly does not specify the right medium for this question because there isn't just one right medium to consume. It's fairly absurd to assume, in a world that has all these media, that anyone will get news only from one source; it follows that good media literacy instruction will teach students what to look for, both positive and negative, in each medium.

Let me set this for you as a homework exercise: Using the sites I've posted plus any other resources that come to hand, compose a response in which you deal with a news story on television. Then compose a response for newspapers. Then for radio. Then for the web.

I'll add that, contrary to most people's expectations, a question like this is not primarily a teaching-practice question, even though it's framed that way: it is intended to elicit the extent of YOUR media literacy.

Caesar753 likes this.
  15. tamanna rumin

tamanna rumin Rookie

Jun 8, 2016

Do you remember any questions from the 6-12 test?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2016

Please don't ask that.

Test takers sign an agreement, twice (when they register and on the test day) that they won't divulge actual specific test questions and that the test company can take action against the test taker who does divulge them. That action can include revoking a passing test score - and the test companies can and do monitor sites like this to make sure no actual specific questions are being shared. The test companies' rationale for being hard-nosed about actual specific test questions is partly that good test questions are darned hard to write and partly that it's not fair if one group of test takers has access to actual specific test questions while another group doesn't.

Let me add that discussing the content of the test, and making up questions to discuss here, is fine.

17. WalterGaffney

WalterGaffney New Member

Aug 18, 2016

hey..there are loads of such stuff on the net..just google it..you'll see such results as practice and study guides, practice tests and flashcards..you'll definitely get something similar on your test..just don't worry or become frozen to the spot..but stay relaxed..and if you are worried about the essay, check out these narrative essay simple tricks which you may apply to any type of essay..so basically, do your homework, leave all your anxieties and worries at home and nail your test

18. itsjustjaynie

itsjustjaynie Rookie

Oct 9, 2016

I passed this one and I failed the rest but I think I have my natural writing talents to thank for that. Not to come off as arrogant but I learned how to write through my Public Relations internships and the best tips I can give you is to zone in on the passage you choose. Choose the easiest one and KNOW HOW TO QUOTE. I think what helped me was knowing what and how to quote pieces of the test and being able to BACK IT UP with information I came up with by making inferences. It also helps that I used to teach students who needed extra help with reading competency so being able to read a text and taking information from it definitely helps. Maybe you were just nervous and needed some help focusing on what they ask of you. It was really easy it just took a lot of time and effort on my behalf. I took up the entire time to type it and edit it AS I WAS TYPING because there just isn't enough time to edit at the end. I reread it in my mind when I saw that I had two minutes left and fixed whatever I thought would sound better. It helps to practice. Find practice material online with the help if any resources you can find about poetry response essays and use that. I know that I had two poems to choose from and I picked the one I knew more about. Go with what you know in your gut and let the ideas flow freely with attention to time and detail. Best of luck!

19. English24

English24 Guest

Aug 6, 2017

Hi I know I'm super late to this forum but there's a great study guide on Amazon called FTCE English 6-12 Reference guide.It gives you a break down of the competencies you need to know and shares some great tips.

20. Jazzylanglit

Jazzylanglit Rookie

Aug 20, 2017

If you are struggling with this test get the Navaed study guide!! It is invaluable to your success on the test!!!!

DAH likes this.