Frustration

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1gdteach, Aug 3, 2008.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I know ya'll are going to get frustrated with me, but I am stressed and I am drawing a blank. I am doing my Language Arts practicum this summer in order to Student Teach starting in Aug. I am in a 1st grade class for Teaching Language Arts. Does anyone have any fun ways to teach punctuation and capitalization. This is the email my CT sent if ya'll have any help I would appreciate it:

We are still doing getting to know you activities. Also we are doing literature activities based on books to build self esteem. We are working on sentence structure-capitals and punctuation.

Tiff

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 3, 2008

When I taught punctuation, I used a childrens book called Punctuation Takes a Vacation. It is such a cute book and there are a lot of activities you can do with it. The kids really enjoy the book.

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I make my kids punctuation police badges. We practice with sentences as whole group, small group and then in partners. Some of the students totally get in character acting like a police officer. It is a riot!

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

That is so awesome love that idea.:)

6. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

In the past I've had the kids make puntuation cards and I'd read a sentence and on the count of 3 they'd have to hold up the correct punctuation card. I'd do a quick scan and we'd discuss which is correct and how the sentence would sound using the other punctuation marks.

7. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I wish I had a video of my class last year when they were punctuation police. I'm laughing right now thinking about it. :lol: