frustration!!!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by liz, Sep 23, 2005.

1. liz

liz Rookie

Sep 23, 2005

Hi. I don't expect a reply--I just want to vent. I teach a self-contained class for children with emotional disabilities. I have 7 children. I am supposed to have 4 paraprofessionals. No one has applied for the positions. I am alone. It sounds easy but it isn't. I am soooooo frustrated I could just cry. I can't get any momentum going with this difficult group. Next week will be the 7th week of school.
    I just had to get this off of my chest.....have a good week-end.

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 23, 2005

that is terrible. I don't blame you for being so angry. I would talk to my union about your situation if you have difficulty.

Troy

4. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 23, 2005

Yep, i agree with Troy, but it is hard to get paras who don't get enough pay for what they have to put up with when they can make more at Target or Menards with a lot less abuse!

5. liz

liz Rookie

Sep 24, 2005

I totally agree!!! I hate to talk with my union because they don't always put the child first. I am trying to. It is difficult because the administration is supportive but forgets about me. I need to go to the bathroom!!!!
    I am going to try to hang in there but Monday will start the 7th week of school......

6. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Sep 25, 2005

Oh Liz I feel for you! And no, many do not understand. Spe ed is a unique place, one year you can have 10 kids, 1 para & teacher & have an ok time. Next years 5 kids & 3 paras may not seem nearly enough! But ED, now that's tough because it is not just day to day but minute to minute that thing can change. How about your spe ed director? Could this also be a compliance issue? In the mean time are there any other spe ed classes on campus? Could maybe you borrow a para for part of the day? Sending you lots of positive vibes~~~~~ & hugs! :love:

7. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Sep 25, 2005

Have you suggested that they use a substitue to at least releave some of the stress. Some school districs will do that. At least then you could have one body..... But def. talk to your union they may be able to help.

8. liz

liz Rookie

Sep 27, 2005

Good Morning--
    Thanks for all of your good thoughts....
    I have tried substitute paras as well as substitute teachers. One teacher fell asleep. The others were terrible. They set off the kids or just weren't appropriate with them. The class is so hard that people just don't want to be in the room.
    They don't return for a second day and lately no one has even picked up the job. There is another ED class in the building. I have tried borrowing the paras but they too have refused to come into the room.
    I just have to hang in there and hope it gets better.
    talk to ya soon

9. nicy

nicy Rookie

Oct 1, 2005

hi, i am currently substituting for an in class support special ed teacher who is about to leave her old school, though I have been a teacher for 9 years. This one class I was assigned to was pretty hard to deal with, but I have found that a lot of kids usually act out due to really low self-esteem. Stop trying to teach a subject for a little while and work on character building. For example, they can start with a journal topic in the morning about 10 things they can do to make today a good day. Another topic can be a personal narrative about "I am Wonderful" where they can write about why they are wonderful, they can then make a collage with personal pictures that define them. Maybe once they start to build a community in the classroom, teaching can resume. I suggested it to the teacher I am working with in the special ed class and we tried it. It worked better with one class than with the other, but the kids did respond. Good luck.

10. Eki75

Eki75 Rookie

Oct 11, 2005

First of all, I believe you should go to your district SpEd coordinator as your school is out of compliance by not providing you at least one para.

Secondly, don't feel bad about the momentum thing. With ED classes especially, I have found the first MONTH or more needs to be setting behavioral norms and community / self esteem building. I was feeling guilty for doing that and not teaching much content, but my mentor said something that stuck with me--In the real world, are my kids going to get farther because they know how to behave in a socially acceptable manner or because they can tell you why the Earth has seasons? I have come to the conclusion that if I don't teach my kids anything else this year, I will teach them how to be respectful to themselves and others. After about 3 weeks of establishing a learning environment, we are finally doing content and my kids are having a lot of successes that would have been impossible had I tried to start the year with standards. JMO.