Frustration

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cristin11, Jun 21, 2010.

1. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

I graduated from college almost 7 months ago. I've been on many different interviews that all resulted in the same "No thanks, we like you, but you don't have enough experience." So, here I am, working a desk job (and believe me, I'm happy I have a job, just not happy that I can't be in a classroom) and feeling like a failure.

I'm preparing myself for August, when, once again, I won't have a job. Most of the parishes around me (and even further west) have already hired their allotment of teachers. I believe that in the elementary department, there were only a hand full of jobs open this summer. So, my question is, what do I do?

I feel like I'm in a sticky situation. I have a good job where I'm at. I have insurance, I'm comfortable here. But, this doesn't afford me any extra teaching experience. Subbing is almost a non option, as there were soooo many layoffs in the last few years that those teachers are now subs and there is an overflow of subs in the area (we have to go through a company, we're not allowed to just go into a school asking to be a sub). Consequently, there are no paraprofessional jobs either.

I wanted to tutor, but work doesn't let out til 5, and I can't leave any earlier. I feel like if I leave this job, I won't have health insurance (and private insurance turned me down because I have asthma). Grrr! I just wish I could get a job!!!!!

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

I feel your pain! I'm right there with you except I have experience, just not in this state where you seem to have to know somebody. I've been networking like crazy lately, but there are so many districts that just don't have any openings.

Do you know anyone who's a teacher, whose class you could volunteer in? Could you get a night job so you could sub or tutor? Are you willing to relocate? If I were young and unattached, don't know if you are, I'd look anywhere just for the adventure of checking out someplace new.

Good luck.

4. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

Don't feel like your a failure! It's a crazy job market out there, I was talking to a principal of a local school and he said they are getting around 10-times more applicants this year. It is a crazy job market.

I recently was offered a job, however unfortunately the principal didn't realize I wasn't licensed for the specific position. (Long story short: I applied for an open 5th grade position. However it was changed to a Kindergarten teaching position, as a teacher decided to trade at the last minute. I'm not licensed for Kindergarten.) I graduated 7 months ago as well. The principal told me that he had never had so many applicants. There were dozens of teachers with 5-15 years experience applying for the position, this is very unusual. The principal's elementary also cut out two licensed positions, jobs that I was told I had a big chance of getting. Times are tough.

If you have been told you don't have enough experience, maybe you could figure out ways to gain more. Volunteer for a few hours a week at local schools or libraries. It can't hurt. :)

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

I was in your position last year. Other people on here have some similar experiences as well.

Could you do some tutoring in the evenings at your local library? If it's ok with the library, post a flier listing your credentials and contact information. There may just be a parent (or several) interested in some free tutoring. Not only could you list this as experience on your resume, but you may be able to get a letter of recommendation out of it as well.

Have you looked into any tutoring companies like Sylvan learning. A few teachers on AtoZ have worked for them over the years. As teaching jobs are tough, I know they may not have positions but it's worth a shot.

Could you do some training at your desk job? I took this route. I saw the current training that was done and offered to revamp/organize it so that it incorporated best practices from an educational and cost standpoint. I did all of this on my own time and then presented it to management. They were happy to have my experience. It was a way to keep my skills fresh and to also get a positive recommendation.

Just a few ideas. You can make it work!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2010

Why not tutor in the evenings??

7. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

Thanks to everyone who replied. I know it's tough right now to get a job, and I'm working my hardest to get one at this point.

As for tutoring, I have advertised for tutoring in the last few days. I'm hoping to get some interest soon. I am going to call Sylvan and a few other tutoring companies also. Did not even think about that! Thanks so much for bringing that up.

As I mentioned earlier, at this point subbing is not an option. Where I live, you have to go through Kelly Services to become a sub and they are not even taking applications anymore. My good friend who was an education major got on with them last year and she had 3 sub position in the entire year. That's how many subs we have right now.

As far as moving to another place, it's definitely an option at this point. I have tried almost all of southern LA, and most of norther LA. I guess at this point its MS and TX. Anyone know if they are hiring?? lol.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2010

Cristin,

Write/ call all the local elementary schools . (Public, private, charter...) WIth the budget cuts, I bet a LOT of them are not offering summer school. Let them know of your qualifications, and ask if they'll keep you in mind in the event that any of their kids need summer tutoring.

And advertise! Try the local library, and the bulletin boards in the supermarkets and laudrymats.

9. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Jun 21, 2010

Cristin I am in the same boat as you :( I think many of us are. This is the worst job market to be in and the worst time to be an elementary graduate. I guess we just have to try to make the best of it. I'm in Texas and it is just as bad here as everywhere else. Try looking into charter, private, and catholic schools as well as public schools, that's what i've been doing. I can't believe I am in this situation right now but i'm going to keep my head up and keep trying. I don't know what other choice I have.

10. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

Alice, that's a good idea. The schools are mostly closed down here (school ended May 27th I believe), but I'll putting signs up. In fact, I'll try that today. Anyone know of how much I should be charging? I'm thinking between $15-$20/hour. Does that sound about right?

tgtbtj, I've put in my resume in with most of the elementary and charter schools around my area (within about a 45 minute drive). I live near New Orleans so we have an enormous amount of charter schools. Still haven't heard back from them yet. I think I'll start emailing them tomorrow. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this too :(. With only a month to go before school starts here again, I'm starting to feel a little bogged down. I'm going to keep trying (just sent in another application and a few emails today) and hopefully it pays off!

11. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Jun 21, 2010

Yes I think it will pay off, just keep thinking positive!

12. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

I volunteered for the local library's reading/activity hour. They are all outside of normal work hours, so working parents can bring in their children. My local parks and recreation office is always looking for volunteers; they have many educational activities that occur on the weekends.

13. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2010

We're not allowed to tutor anystudent who attends my schoo, whether or not we teach that student. It's considered a conflict of interest, since that same student could get extra help for free. I had to explain this to a parent about 2 weeks ago. I had taught her son 2 years ago as a freshman; now he wanted SAT prep tutoring over the summer. I recommended the summer course I teach (but don't run) and told her I could give him extra help every day from the start of school until the SAT, but could not tutor him privately.

15. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Jun 22, 2010

We are not alowed to tutor students who attend our school either for the same reasons. The emails I was talking about are from parents whose children attend other schools in the area who are looking for teachers to tutor their children. That's why I think tutoring is a good way for less experienced teachers who might not be employed by a school to build expereince because they are free to tutor whichever students they can.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2010

Absolutely!

17. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010

After thinking about it last night, I'm also going to apply for a teaching license in Mississippi. They are looking for so many teachers right now. I really didn't want to make this move (I'd rather move west), but if it's what I can get, then I'm taking it. Now all I have to do is apply for the license. I'm going to send out cover letters and resumes ASAP.

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2010

cristin~I have no advice for you. I just wanted to say that I hope that all works out for you.