Frustrating Voice

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ms.rene, Nov 7, 2005.

1. ms.rene

ms.rene Rookie

Nov 7, 2005

This is my 2nd year teaching and I noticed that since last year I always get a very hoarse voice during the week. It's fine on the weekends and during breaks but horrible during the week. I went to the ear, nose and throat doc to see what could be done after trying every homemade remedy/tea and found out I have nodules on my vocal chords. I started going to speech therapy once a week but feel like it is no help. The doctors tell me the only cure is to rest my voice and change my lifestyle(I'm just plain loud by nature!). Anyway, this is really getting annoying now and I'm thinking maybe I should change careers and see if my voice gets better. I love teaching but I can't keep struggling with my voice. Any suggestions????

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 7, 2005

On some days I realize that I have talked all day long and I simply lose my voice. I keep water at hand all the time to drink. It doesn't always stop it, but it helps. When I first started teaching I had a bad habit of trying to talk over the kids. When they would start talking while I was teaching I would get louder and louder. I learned the hard way not to do that. Now when they start talking I stop. It usually only takes a second for them to get the message and stop. It saves the voice!

4. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

I too have nodules and do what Christy said
    When the kids start talking, I stop or drop my voice very very low where they HAVE to stop talking to hear me
    I WILL NOT talk over them.. I just refuse.
    I enjoy teaching too much to do anything else

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 7, 2005

I'll pass on advise from my University Supervisors "drink lots of water during the day. She said it will protect our vocal cords..because once they are damaged they can't be fixed."
    Why I'm now going to listen to her: I am soft spoken so I tend to try to talk louder when I'm teaching. I don't feel much like talking after teaching a lesson. The last one I taught I started to talk over the fifth graders, I was practically yelling. My throat was so sore for the rest of the night. I need to remember to bring water and drink lots of it, I hope that helps.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2005

My doctor told me to use a lot of sore throat spray- I like Cepocel the best. I use it every morning and before bed, and during the day when I need to. It really helped, I was losing my voice all the time!
    I also had to start telling the kids, "Miss Bre's voice is very very tired today. So all of you need to be my special helpers and be very quiet so you can hear me, because my voice can't go very loud this morning." They all wanted to help me out and be quiet(er).

7. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Nov 9, 2005

I've never tried it, but I read in all the teacher publications that you should sing. Sing out loud! Like in the shower on the weekend or over breaks, you should sing so your voice is used to being used.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2005

My co-worker has this same problem. She is a very loud person and talks too much. I would enjoy her company much more if she would talk less and softer, as would the kids. Her loudness works them up. I notice the difference the minute she steps into my room and starts talking. They get very loud.

9. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 9, 2005

Thanks for the tip. I'm very tone deaf. My singing is worse then nails across a chalk board. But I think I'll try that, I definately need to get used to projecting my voice.

Also I tried the water tip my supervisor gave me, it did help. But I drank my hot chocolate more than the water.

10. ms.rene

ms.rene Rookie

Nov 11, 2005

SD...how long have you had the nodules?
    I do notice that my voice is much better the days that I drink plenty of water. I started using a wireless mic during the day and do a lot more books on tape or have the kids read more passages.

11. teachfirst

teachfirst Rookie

Nov 11, 2005

I always have this problem in the beginning of the year also. I find that drinking water helps, but throat losengers help even more. Also, there is a type of tea called Throat Soothers by Celestial teas. I put some honey in it and it also seems to help.;)