Frustrating to watch others get jobs...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherGrl7, Aug 13, 2007.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

Just a vent...

I am so frustrated!! I have been teaching in a Universal Pre-K for the past year because jobs are tight here. I am an "independent contract" which means although I am in a school I am not on tenure track, have zero benefits, and don't get paid nearly what a salaried teacher would make, plus no personal or paid sick days. I love my job and not to brag, but I'm good at it.

One of my best friends just received a call yesterday from the district that she permanent subbed in for a period of time last year. They need a UPK teacher for September and she automatically got the job. She signed her contract today and is now on tenure track with starting salary of the district and benefits. Doing the same exact thing that I have been doing for a year.

She is one of my very closest friends and we have known each other for well over 10 years. I am so very happy for her but at the same time I am so upset and frustrated that this opportunity just fell into her lap (I should mention that she got into the school district initially through a family member) and she is getting all of the perks that I so desperately need (healthcare!) and want (better money and job security of SOME sort) all while doing the same thing that I do, that I could do in that district, and could do well. I know so many people that I graduated with, that I am friends with, and that I work with now that are all searching for jobs. I feel like an awful person because anytime someone gets an interview or lands a job a part of me feels so awful that it's just another position slipping away in this already tough job market. It's frustrating me to no end and just disheartens me when I learn that a lot of these people are getting jobs through other people when somehow I cannot find any contacts!

I hate hate hate feeling sorry for myself and I know that I am lucky to have what I have, but I can't help it- this is making me crazy. I can't exactly vent to my friends so I figured putting it into the cosmos here might help me feel better and get over this so I can go back to working on my September plans. Let's hope it works!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2007

Do you think it might be time to consider relocating? Is that an option for you at this point? Lots of schools in lots of districts are in dire need of good teachers.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

I just can't. My entire family is here on Long Island and I love it in New York, I am not interested in leaving everyone that I know to go somewhere by myself with no support system. If there was another state that interested me I might consider it, but there is nothing really pulling me and I truly feel that if I moved away alone to get a job I would only end up resenting my job for making me so far away from my family. And I only graduated last year, I think that I need to send out resumes more than 2 years before throwing in the towel. It's just frustrating that there is no forseeable light at the end of the tunnel- it doesn't sound like there will be a shortage of teachers here anytime soon.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2007

What about a Head Start? I think we are unique in Chicago in that we run out of our public schools 5 differnet pre-k programs. Though I know there are independant Head Starts and State Pre-K classrooms in the city too. I think (and I'm not 100% sure) that they pay isn't great, but that some of the Head Starts do offer benefits.

I am curious as to why your program is "contract" in the school, but your friends is full time with benefits. Are you doing a leave position? I almsost took a leave that was going to end up permanent at a really nice school until I was informed it would bump me off the tenure track. Then I said no way jose!

6. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Have you applied in nyc? A lot of teachers on Long Island start out in the city for experience.

7. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 13, 2007

Hey, your not the only one who feels that way, and it does not make you an awful person. I posted recently about my friend and I both making it to the 2nd phase of a very tight interview race, and she got a call to move to phase 3 and I didn't. That really sucked. The worst part is, her interview is tomorrow, and she's been emailing and calling constantly since Friday (what to wear, what mini lesson, interview questions, etc). I am really really trying to put on a brave face and help her as much as possible, but it really hurts. It's a tight market here right now and I don't have the option of moving either. My husband is well established in his career and my I have 1 daughter in middle school and a son in elementary. They are doing so well academically and socially that I'd hat to do that to them. So, I sub and take what I can get. But in all honesty, I've cried every day since Friday.
    Best of luck to you.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2007

Beleive me... I know. Which is why I took a part time sub position. It's what was available... For those who say go to the city... I have to tell you... it's not that easy of a commute, nor is it worth it if you are in a school with lousy administrators.

Hang in there

PS.... I graduated about 13 years ago... so giving up after 2 years in nothing. I say go for a TA position if you can or sub. You will get there.

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

I have a job as a teacher right now, but it's Pre-K. Going for a TA or subbing wouldn't do much else for me. I love love love my job I just wish I had the perks that she does. The reason for that, chicago, is that the way Universal Pre-K works is that the state gives you a grant to run it. The grant can either be given to the school district itself, or to an outside source. In her case, the school district took the grant and is paying the teachers as their own. My district doesnt have the money so they contracted out to my college to run the program, and we are not district employees.

Mrs. H, I feel for you!! In June my assistant (a certified teacher that I graduated from college and am now very close to) and I went on interviews for the same position. It was just for another preschool so we were both going just for interview experience, and neither of us got the job, but it was SO hard to compete against someone so close to me and I don't know what I would have done if one of us had gone to the next phase and not the other. It's awful. And my friend ahs just started asking what my September plans look like and how I did certain things....it's very hard to help her when I am so frustrated and jealous of her position and the selfish little kid part of me is thinking, "You have so much more than me, at least let me have the fact that I know what to do for the year!" So I totally get where you're coming from.

10. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 13, 2007

I too totally understand where you are coming from. A friend of mine found out that a principal in a prominent district is interested in her. This being a district that I was a teaching assistant for for part of last year and worked my butt off to prove myself to everyone. She wasn't even looking for a job but was told that a pervious principal she worked with 2 years ago put in a good word for her after finding out my friend's best friend from her current work (who got a job for this fall at that school she interviewed) also put in a good word and low and behold she had the interview. She was told that as long as things go well w/her references she'll have the job. She currently works in a tough school and district and I'm happy for her, but what about me? I've worked my butt off to prove myself. I did so many extra tasks for the teacher I worked with and student I was 1-on-1 with.

It's hard to hear other people getting teaching jobs so easily esp. when they weren't even looking.

Let's hope in time we will have that "good news" to be EXCITED about. Keep me posted....

For now, I accepted a intern sub job in the district I was long-term sub for last year. However, I was told I can continue interviewing and if I end up getting a teaching job I can turn down the intern job. I'm really hoping I get something last minute. Time is running out. I too have been crying since Thursday. :(

11. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I'm not sure if this is a possibility for any of you but we have three new teachers who subbed last year AND coached! One coached volleyball, one track, and the other worked with the debate team coach. All are certified Pre-Kthrough 3 but coached middle and high school events.

12. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 13, 2007

Interesting! If only I was good at sports. I should get the "sports" for dummies book if there was one. Not that I'm saying I'm a dummie, byt I really know very little about sports. Never into it nor can I play it either. I wouldn't know what to do as a coach.

Btw- I am pre-k through 3 also. If I knew what to do as a coach I'd consider it.

13. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

I agree !!!!

I agree it is very frustrating to watch other people get jobs, especially when you have been looking as long as I have. But I have decided to put a positive spin on things. I have some things that I will be doing show my continued professional growth. I will begin the process of working towards adding a licensure area to my current teaching license. I had a recent windfall and decided to use some of the money to purchase some professional development books.I am going to be revamping my porfolio. I bought some books on "Best Practices" and "Differentiation". I am also going to contact each district that I sub in to find out what professional activities I will be allowed to participate in this coming school year!!!

Mldouglas

14. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 14, 2007

DOn't feel bad, we all feel that way.
    I am a LTS for the third year in a row. I am in the same school and I started with 7 other teachers at my school. The others all have their contracts and I do not. Last year the district gave out 6.5 contracts between 30 LTSs. My principal said he is working to get me one, but it is hard.
    I got really annoyed when the one girl kept crying because she only got a .5 contract!
    You cannot help your feelings, and you should not feel bad for having them, they are normal!!
    I have them too:(

15. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

TeacherGrl,

I know exactly how you feel. I spent a full year subbing for a school district, and one of my friends spent about six months. We both did a LT placement, me in first and her in fourth. Guess who got a job teaching first grade??? It wasn't me!! She was lucky enough to have someone stand up for her. As for relocating, you could do that, but it is expensive. I was offered a wonderful job in Florida, but had to turn it down because of how expensive the trip down would be. Relocating with gas the way it is is just not feasible. I'm tired of waiting for a job that offers benefits too! But remember, unfortunately in the North East, I have been told by many a teacher, it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know!!

Good luck to you! I know you can do it!

Steph :)

16. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

I know all too well what it is like to be passed over for a job. Year after year of being a LTS for the same district gets old after a while.
    I am not a sports person either, but I am starting to look at the coaching jobs to see if maybe there would be any I could help with. I wish I would have done it earlier when I was a LTS for the district. But others get jobs without being a coach. Why can't I?

17. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 14, 2007

I'm not happy that so many of you are having a hard time, but it is nice to hear that I'm not crazy and there are others out there!! :love:

18. Xgomenara9

Xgomenara9 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I THINK YOU SHOULD STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF. FIRST, YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT OTHERS GOT THEIR JOBS. TRY TO HELP SOMEONE IN NEED EVEN THOUGH IT IS REALLY HARD TO DO RIGHT NOW. THEN, YOU SHOULD SEE RESULTS. LET GO OF THE NEGATIVITY AND GOD WILL PAVE YOUR ROAD. TRUST IN HIM AND MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS SAY THANK YOU FOR THE THINGS YOU HAVE. AT LEAST YOU HAVE A JOB AND ARE NOT STARVING FOR FOOD.

-XGOMENARA9....REMEMBER DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR ANOTHERAND YOU WILL GET REPAID.

I am so frustrated!! I have been teaching in a Universal Pre-K for the past year because jobs are tight here. I am an "independent contract" which means although I am in a school I am not on tenure track, have zero benefits, and don't get paid nearly what a salaried teacher would make, plus no personal or paid sick days. I love my job and not to brag, but I'm good at it.

Fdistrict that she permanent subbed in for a period of time last year. They need a UPK teacher for September and she automatically got the job. She signed her contract today and is now on tenure track with starting salary of the district and benefits. Doing the same exact thing that I have been doing for a year.

She is one of my very closest friends and we have known each other for well over 10 years. I am so very happy for her but at the same time I am so upset and frustrated that this opportunity just fell into her lap (I should mention that she got into the school district initially through a family member) and she is getting all of the perks that I so desperately need (healthcare!) and want (better money and job security of SOME sort) all while doing the same thing that I do, that I could do in that district, and could do well. I know so many people that I graduated with, that I am friends with, and that I work with now that are all searching for jobs. I feel like an awful person because anytime someone gets an interview or lands a job a part of me feels so awful that it's just another position slipping away in this already tough job market. It's frustrating me to no end and just disheartens me when I learn that a lot of these people are getting jobs through other people when somehow I cannot find any contacts!

I hate hate hate feeling sorry for myself and I know that I am lucky to have what I have, but I can't help it- this is making me crazy. I can't exactly vent to my friends so I figured putting it into the cosmos here might help me feel better and get over this so I can go back to working on my September plans. Let's hope it works![/QUOTE]

19. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I mentioned "coaching" because it's a way to get to know people in the district you want to work for. Keep in mind ... almost every high school extra curricular activity needs an advisor (yearbook; student council; ski club ...). Our district pays (a little) for these but the "networking" can't hurt!

Don't give up! With extremely tight budgets, I've noticed that some districts hesitate to offer contracts until after the "official state count date." It's not as neat as starting out in your own classroom but once you get your foot in the door ...

20. Teach preschool

Teach preschool New Member

Aug 15, 2007

I truly know what you mean, & am glad there are other people out there having trouble with this. I am a Head Start teacher & have been trying to get in school districts for 4 years now. I love the job I have, but I am not able to make a living on the pay I get. I have found out that it really is true when people say - "It's not about what you know, but who you know in the schools". It's not right, but you have to live with it & trust that God has a bigger & better plan for you. I am thankful for what I have, but I know I can get something better if some school districts would just give me a chance!
    It is very frustrating & I have almost given up on even applying anymore, but I really love teaching & want to get in a school with a preschool program.
    Good luck to you!:unsure: