Frustrating afternoon!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

Okay, I'm hoping that my vent doesn't confuse anyone. I'll try and explain it as clearly as possible while staying calm! My husband was informed that he had to go out of state to fix this insanely screwed up job for his company. Well, his company isn't that organized anyways. He was given his paycheck today when he left and he'll have to check to tomorrow to see if he can even cash it tomorrow (another issue altogether) or if he'll have to wait till Monday if funds aren't available with the company tomorrow. Well, we looked to see where a Bank of America was in Mississippi (where he had to go to work) and apparantly they don't have ANY BRANCHES AT ALL!!!! That's a totally totally different problem. We figured out that he can go to walmart and send the money to me (again, if the funds are available).

The next problem that we encountered: we only had about $100 left in our checking account and $200 in our savings. We used up the $100 and some of the savings between gas for two vehicles, food, and walmart today. Well, I had to call and find him and his work mate a hotel room where they were going. I found them a room and confirmed it with my personal debit card since I didn't have his buisness debit card. He gets there checks in and they authorize my debit card for $316!!!! So, the manager won't fix it tonight and I have to wait until tomorrow while praying that none of our pending charges go through tonight. With Bank of America, each overdraft fee that they charge is $35 per overdraft charge. There are 9 things waiting to go through!!! 9 x 35= $315 !!!! The manager has to call the bank in order to cancel the authorization on my card.

In the mean time, my husband is stuck there with no money for food or gas. He and his work mate luckily had a couple bucks on them and went to McDonald's..... My pregnant hormones have had me screaming and customer service people and then crying the next moment......:dizzy: Thanks for listening. I'm hoping all of this gets taken care of tomorrow and we don't owe all of these charges. If we do, my husband's company had SOOOOO better pay us back the $315 in fees.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

I hate those overdraft fees. Ugh!
    It does sound like you had a very aggravating day. I hope you are able to get some rest tonight. I get easily worked up when it comes to someone messing with my money too. I think your reaction was normal. Don't feel bad about it.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

:hugs: Hopefully everything gets worked out!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

I'm so sorry! Couldn't your husband endorse the check so you could cash it while he was away? I always put dh's checks in the bank.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

Oh, God - that happened to me but it takes 3 business days to clear up some holds! I pray that isn't true for you. It was really a pain in the #$%% for us - it happened when we were on a cruise and a check we deposited bounced which set up a cascading failure. Maybe another bank will cash the check tomorrow. Good luck.

7. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 23, 2009

And I'm afraid the company won't reimburse you for bounced charges. Why did he not get an advance from the company? He should have just told the power that be that he didn't have the personal funds to float the company. Hopefully the bank will be understanding that the manager was not authorized to make the debit. It might take a letter from the hotel manager though.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 23, 2009

Oh my, what a fiasco! Hopefully things get better.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

Isn't it stupid that they charge overdraft fees? I mean, if you're overdrawn, you don't have the money so they're going to charge you more money? Money that you don't have to begin with??

"Hey, you don't have any money...That'll cost ya!"
    sheesh!:p

Hope it all works out!

10. Teaching Grace

Jul 24, 2009

UPDATE:

Okay, we had the authorization off of the card however there were already charges applied and rest of the pending charges will go through tonight. The guy with Bank of America said that I can call back to the 800 desk tomorrow and they will remove all of the overdraft fees. However, my husband is still stuck in Mississippi without any money to be able to eat. He's working as hard as he can and hasn't have breakfast, lunch, or anything to drink all day. Last night his dinner was a Happy Meal!!

The company has apparantly gone to put money in the bank but it has to go through and all that. Of course it would help if anyone was available to talk to him at the office.

Anyways, it's just stressful as all get out at the moment! Add in the factor of furlough days and not nowing how they'll take the money out of our paychecks (one lump?over the months from Aug-Dec? over the moneths from Aug-July?) Who knows? Or will they even be able to take the money away from us because we signed a contract?

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2009

Is this a normal practice for your husband's company to send him out of town and not give him money for expenses? If that's the case, can he speak up and tell them "Sorry, send someone else. I can't afford it."?

12. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I was once out of town for a training conference. When I went to check out of the hotel, the credit card was declined. This was not my personal credit card mind you, but my employer's card. It is bad when a city's credit card gets declined! Talk about embarrasing. It was a week long conference at a nice hotel too. Luckily I had the funds to float the city until I got back in town. They had a check cut for me the next day. We never did find out why the card was declined though.

I agree with Becky. He should tell them to pony up the money before he leaves or send someone else.

13. Teaching Grace

Jul 24, 2009

This is the first time that he's had to go out of town for this company. He just started working for them back at the end of December. They told him they were sending him out there with money. They gave him a debit card good for $160 or so dollars on it. But that's being tied up at the hotel because they had to have a card to garuntee the room on. They're supposed to be putting more money in the account today. Who knows though, this company is insanely unorganized though.