Frustrated!

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Samothrace, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jun 7, 2009

Ugh! I just got my summer break started..well I have a half day tomorrow to finish packing up stuff and what not.

My district is kind of different. Teachers have collaborative time when their kids have art, music, pe and library. Resource teachers also get this 'planning' time at a differnet building on friday afternoons. There are 8 art, music and pe teachers..and we are made up of teams that go to our different buildings together.

We all have at least two buildings, and I think there is one team that has three.

The maximum classes we can teach in a week are 33. If we have to go between two buildings in the same day..we are supposed to have 40 minutes of travel time.

And I'm newbie..only my 2nd year in, so I'm not burnt out as all my fellow resource teachers are. The art teachers were talking on friday..that we should kind of set up a date for all the resource people to meet in August to pair up our buildings when the schools have a better idea class numbers etc. (our urban district is very flighty and we usually don't have things ironed out for a few weeks into the school year mostly due to poor planning on the districts behalf and the way they allow open enrollment at differnet buidlings. Typically the resource teachers meet a week -a week in a half before the school year starts to hash all this out (it's a HORRIBLE meeting..b/c the numbers are always stupid and chaotic) Well.....when we asked pe and music they want to meet the half day before the school year starts, they are sick of doing it on a day they don't get paid.

I'd rather take a day unpaid knowing I can be more prepared about what buildings I'll be at...guh! I sure hope something changes, it's a dreadful feeling NOT knowing where you'll be teaching in your district.

sorry for the confusion of this post....I'm just already worried about it. I feel like I get outed by the other art teachers b/c I had a really stressful above normal first year teaching, and got really emotional when pairing the buildings this year b/c of my evaluation from my first year and wanted to proove what happened then wasn't who I was as a teacher. I just think they have looked down on me since then. booooo.

3. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

First off, ... I'm quite jealous that you're already out.

Second of all, I just don't understand some of the mentalities of people in general. Your situation stinks and I'm sorry.

I too would be very willing to try and work out the scheduling situation, why wouldn't they?

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

We had our half day today to finish packing things up or whatever....and now it turns out PE wants to meet the day before the school year starts, music wants to meet about a week before..which is ideal, knowing the day before wouldn't be enough. and some people are like...I don't want to go to this meeting unpaid..but I also don't want someone making changes to my buildings/classes/team without me knowing about it. One of the art teachers is a union rep and says..strictly union it goes beyond the scope of our contract.

Basically..damned if you do, damned if you don't. One day of pay...honestly! Is it gonna completely change your finances for a half day worth of pay for a meeting. A lot of the people i work with treat it as a job and not as a profession/career.

As a group we should be supporting eachother, and it's like a self imploding nuclear waste. lol

5. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Jun 8, 2009

Wow that's crazy. I'd LOVE to know my schedule sooner than the day before the first day. I get so anxious about it... I'd come in as often and as long as needed if it meant starting the first day prepared!!

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jun 9, 2009

Sorry about that. My commiseration is that I won't know what grade-levels or how many students I'll have until a good week and a half into the year in August. There's no one to discuss it with and those in charge of it dictate. What comes is what I get.