Frustrated

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, May 28, 2008.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 28, 2008

Do ADHD students pick up on visual cues? I was working with a child after school today and pulled up a chair for him to sit on. When I got the materials he was STILL standing. I had to tell him to sit!!!!"John have a seat...unless you want to stand the whole time." I honestly think he would have stood there. I'm losing it, from the interrupting to the talking. HELP and/or comfort me...

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2008

As an ADHD 'kid' myself, he probably spaced it. I find myself spacing it more and more. My husband or boss will motion for me to do something, and I'll just stand there, staring off into space. I'm especially bad on elevators-I'm thinking about something else and I'll get off on the wrong floor or just stand there when the door opens. My mind is always wandering off, so the daydreams get in the way a lot. Doesn't help a whole lot when you're the teacher, though...

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 28, 2008

He may have not picked up on the visual cue because he was comfortable with standing so his brain did not pick up on the chair being pulled up for him. A lot of ADHD/ADD students enjoy standing while doing work. I don't have and have never and ADHD/ADD, but I like to stand at times while working.

5. MrL

MrL Companion

May 28, 2008

Absolutely. I suffer from that all the time. My perception is only good through deliberate practice.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 28, 2008

I agree with the others. He could have just spaced the fact that you'd pulled the chair out or been more comfortable standing, or both.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 28, 2008

I know that a lot of ADHD children like to use their chair as a prop. They lean into it. Or they drape their bodies over it. Just because we as teachers think that they should sit, that is not the best for all children. In fact my ADHD child (my personal son 15 year old) has trouble sitting still. When he has had teachers that expect him to sit still, he focuses all of his energy on just staying in his seat. Don't expect much out of him. The classes that he is allowed to sit on his knees or swing his legs in, he does much better in.

8. MrL

MrL Companion

May 28, 2008

Yeah, I can't sit still either. While I'm doing parent contact at home, I'm constantly fiddling with Transformers and Marvel Legends figures. It prevents me from turning the house into the Hell of Constant Pen Clicking ("Chinese got a lot of Hells.").

I wonder what the parents would think if they knew that every time I talked to then, Bullseye is strangling the Scarlet Spider.

9. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 28, 2008

I'm ADHD and pulling up a chair or indicating a book does SFA for me. I'm auditory, so you need to tell me. Otherwise, I'm lost. In fact, as a dyslexic, I didn't need notes - I needed tapes of lectures in University to keep me focused.

Each ADHD child is different. Treating ADHD kids like there is some cookie cutter formula for what they do/understand and do not do/understand is a big mistake, because the abilities/disabilities of each child differ based on the severity of the disorder.

10. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

May 29, 2008

I read somewhere that in the history of yeshivas (intense Jewish boys' schools) they had some desks that were tall so the boys could stand to do their work instead of sitting if they preferred. They KNEW some students couldn't sit all day. It makes sense to me. They also gave them a chocolate to begin their studies so that they would associate learning with something sweet. That sounds like a plan. :2up: