Frustrated

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by plain jane, Oct 24, 2007.

1. plain jane

plain jane New Member

Oct 24, 2007

I am so frustrated! I am an IA in a self contained behavior class and the teacher in the class allows one kid in the class who has horrible behavior to basically do whatever he wants. He is considered autistic and very low academically, but we all believe that he is capable of learning more. He pretty much chooses if and what he is willing to do in the classroom. He is allowed to curse, hit, throw things, and run through the school.(we try to redirect him or correct him-but we don't do much else-he is a very big 10 year old.) If any other student in the class acts this way they would be reprimanded, lose privileges, or if a danger, restrained. I respect my teacher, but I am fed up with this situation. I don't even want to work with this kid. He can be endearing but his current behavior is so out of control and I think he recognises that we arent doing anything about it and he is pretty much running the show. I have told her how I feel but she hasn't said much to me. I think I hurt her feelings. Anyone out there with advice?

3. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2007

LOL, she probably has no idea what to do with him either... I'm there. Do you and the teacher have administrative support? They should help you develop a behavior mod program for this kid. Perhaps someone here can recommend some light reading about ABA that could be useful to you. Applied Behavioral Analysis is the behavior management method most commonly used with autistic kids.

4. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Oct 27, 2007

Has anyone tried a reward system with him??? This might be an option.

5. plain jane

plain jane New Member

Oct 29, 2007

The whole class is structured on positive reinforcement and consistancy. We have also tried ABA behavior with him. I just feel like a jerk on the days that we use ABA techniques to try and get him to do something (he either cries or his behavior becomes violent) and then I am really frustrated when the next day we are told to let him have his space(and he walks around the room disrupting class and saying and doing whatever he wants- which can really upset the other students in this class) It has been hard because we have his parents insisting that we try certain things for him, we have the school psych reccomending different ideas and in the middle I see a kid whose bad behavior is working for him(no work and he doesn't have to follow any rules)I just think if everyone would be consistant and use the same techniques we would make some progress with this child who is capable of learning.