frustrated

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachermo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. teachermo

teachermo Rookie

Dec 2, 2011

A couple of days ago I was called for an interview that could possibly turn into a permanent sub position for the rest of the year. I had the interview yesterday and one of the questions I asked was about pay. The principal said she didn't know what the pay would be. We talked about how I didn't live in the city for the job and would be commuting 1 hour each way. When she called to offer me the job I asked again what the pay would be and she said she was finding out, Human Resources hadn't gotten back to her yet. That was at 2:30 this afternoon. I got another message at 2:40 saying if I thought I would take the job to report to Human Resources Monday for paperwork to complete, then 2 days later I could start. I still don't know what the pay is an now it is 5:30 on a Friday evening.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2011

That is frustrating! Could you possibly call HR yourself early Monday morning and ask, before driving all the way there to fill out paperwork? It's still aggrivating that you have to wait all weekend to find out, but at least you'd know before you made that long commute.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

That is frustrated but I would expect to receive at least the districts sub pay. Is the experience and having a job worth the hour commute? If so, I would show up on Monday.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

Sub pay is pretty much standard...the P should know what it is. Go to the HR meeting and find out all the details of the job offer before you sign the ontract.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 2, 2011

Yes, I would go to the meeting and find out the pay. Hopefully, it will not be a waste of your time. But experience never is a waste of time. :)

7. teachermo

teachermo Rookie

Dec 2, 2011

I do know the standard sub pay is $70, and pretty much out of the question. I wouldn't be able to pay bills, not to mention gas for the commute. Is this usual for principals to not know these things? I had thought about calling Human Resources Monday but didn't know if that would be over stepping.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

Sometimes long term sub pay can vary based on experience, education, and length of the job as well as how difficult of a position it is to staff (usually high school science and math). So the principal may very well not know what the pay will be.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2011

My P didn't even know what the regular teacher salary was. She actually quoted me "I think it's something around...." and the number she quoted was actually about 8,000 less than it actually was. I was ready to turn the job down, thinking there was no way I was going to surive in this area on that salary, when the HR person called me to talk about paperwork and told me what the real salary was.

I don't think it's overstepping to call HR. I mean, you don't want to say something like "the principal won't tell me," but just say you hadn't hear and with the long commute it would really affect your decision about taking the job. If you don't want to call, as others have suggested go to the meeting and find out about the job, and then sign up if you want. I will say though, that in my HR meeting to fill out paperwork, salary wasn't listed anywhere, so I still would have had to ask if I didn't really know beforehand. I'd personally feel more awkward asking in a meeting with others than just calling someone on the phone.

10. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Dec 2, 2011

Does the county post salaries on thier website? Mine does. It lists Normal Pay and Long term Pay as well as additional pay based on degrees and certification. all of this can be found under subs on our county site. Take a look and see what you can find.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

Welcome to a to z!

Is there a number below which it's not worth your time? Would taking this job preclude you from doing other work which pays better?

If not, I would honestly just take the job and see. Yes, it would drive me insane. But I would do it anyway. It will enable you to make contacts, and build up a professional resume. If it doesn't leave you eating cat food, then it's probably a good career move.

12. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Dec 3, 2011

Here where I am in PA, long-term subs get daily sub pay (about $90) for a set amount of days and then often move on to prorated teaching salary. It's worth looking in to. :)

13. teachermo

teachermo Rookie

Dec 3, 2011

With some of your alls advice I did some more internet digging. The only wage not posted is the permanent sub position. The district decided 3 years ago to do away with 23 of the 27 permanent sub positions because of budget cuts. The next year they got rid of the last 5.

I also found that the regular sub pay would be for 10 days and then IF the principal decided to keep me the pay rate would change and be prorated. This is the rate that I am trying to find out. The assistant Human Resource supervisor makes that decision.:dizzy:

The principal has said she is pretty sure this will be for the rest of the year. I am sure that she is going to use the 10 days for evaluation.

My boyfriend said to give the principal until 10 Monday morning then call her and she if she has heard anything and if she hasn't ask if it would be ok to call HR myself.

14. teachermo

teachermo Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

Still waiting for an answer. I didn't go to HR because I was waiting to see if it was worth the time, and the two people who make the decision on the pay won't t be in the office until tomorrow

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

Hopefully you will hear something tomorrow when they get to work. I suggest calling early so that you don't pass up the opportunity for the job.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

You were told to GO to HR today if you thought you would take the job. You should have gone today to at least get the paperwork started. You may find that you've missed an opportunity.:(

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

To be honest, with all the teachers in this country desperately trying to find their way into a classroom for the rest of the year, I don't understand why you didn't jump at this opportunity.

If it's not right for you, it's not right. But it just doesn't read as though you want this as badly as so many other teachers seem to.

18. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 5, 2011

I would call human resources. The principal in probably not sure about the pay because it can be different for long-term subs depending on how long you will be working there. I accepted a long-term this year without knowing the pay. It was a 45 minute drive but I needed the experience. The principal called me about the job but never mentioned pay. I was too embarassed to ask the principal about pay so I emailed HR. They responded very quickly. The first five days was $93 and was way less than what I had been making but then it went up to $175. I also talked with a superintendent about another long-term. He told me that their long-terms are put on full-teacher salary minus benefits. I would just ask around until I found out. Meanwhile, you can probably get your paperwork done since your background check will probably take a few days. I never signed a contract for my long-term so I don't think they're expecting you to do that when you go into HR. I don't think there is any way that they will pay a long-term the daily sub rate. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised!

19. teachermo

teachermo Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

I know that there are a lot of teachers out of work. I have also been very honest with the principal and have told her why I am hesitant. I would have said yes with no problems if I lived in Columbia. I have also said here that I have finances I have to worry about. I have already had to take money out of savings to pay my bills and can't take a job just because it is a job. When Columbia had this position before they only paid the long term sub $12 an hour for 35 hours a week. With an hour commute each way the gas money causes my already limited funds to get even worse.

I love teaching, however, I cannot cause myself more financial hardship.

20. teachermo

teachermo Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

The principal and I have talked many times.

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 6, 2011

Well, hopefully things worked out. Experience though is a gift that you cannot afford to pass up. This would give you experience and perhaps an opportunity to work in the district. But I GET that you need to make a certain amount in order to make the position doable since you are driving. I sincerely hope things work out. I would have gone to HR and started the process to let them know that I was sincerely interested. BUT, you are right - why waste their time if there is a chance that you will back out of the position? I DO hope things work out for you. There are lots of people out there that will jump at this chance, so the P will have no problem finding someone to fill it. Good luck to you!

22. teachermo

teachermo Rookie

Dec 11, 2011

I took the job and start tomorrow. The principal was very happy that I was honest with her and even got the 10 day regular sub pay taken out of the equation. She was able to inform me that the job will go until the end of the school year in May, which also helps some of my anxiety.

I want to thank those of you who had good thoughts about this job..

23. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2011

Good luck and I'm glad that you got things figured out!

24. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 11, 2011

Congrats! It sounds like a great opportunity to hone your skills.

25. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Dec 11, 2011

Congrats! I'm sure that was a great Christmas present!

I didn't know that a lot of districts do just regular sub pay for permanent/long term subs. In my district as a long-term sub, I'm getting the teacher salary at my scale just for the days that I am there.

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 11, 2011

Good luck and Merrrrrry Christmas!