Frustrated...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LMichele, Aug 2, 2011.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 2, 2011

I'm so frustrated right now and I don't know who to talk to.

I was put on the hiring list for a Catholic Diocese on Saturday & sent a printout of available jobs as of last Thursday. I was feeling pretty confident because my screening interviews went so well, & there seem to be more jobs with a smaller applicant pool. I drove my resume to the school with the position that I was most interested in today (they were closed yesterday) and was told by the secretary that it was filled about 45 minutes prior to me getting there.

I didn't really have high expectations, but just hearing that combined with everything I've been going through caused me to breakdown and cry in my car the whole way home. This is my third year searching for a teaching job. I've sent out over 200 resumes/applications this year alone. That's in addition to 100+ sent out the previous two years. I went back & got an additional certification to make myself more marketable.

I've been in a building sub in a wonderful school for the past two years. I consider it great experience, but by me subbing doesn't count as experience at all. I can't get leave replacement jobs because I don't have leave replacement experience. I can't get a classroom job without leave replacement experience. I'm stuck in my sub job which I love, but it's in a district that looks over their subs for teaching positions. I've built up excellent references from my co-workers, but what good is that if they're not getting called on my behalf for a reference?

I don't know what to do anymore. I financially can't continue to sub while looking for a job, but if I leave subbing to go to a job where I can actually make a decent pay, then I'm that much further behind in the search for a teaching job. I've been pretty optimistic the past three years up until this point, but now I just feel broken.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 2, 2011

What subject and grade levels are you willing to/can you teach? Are you willing to relocate?

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

Are there more jobs in the archdiocese available? i would try the other schools on the list too. Are any there any good sections of NY that has more jobs than other? Are there more jobs available in the rural or urban areas?

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

That really is an unfair situation. I would def talk to HR and some of the Ps that you work with and say that you love substitute teaching for them but you are going to have to go through the process of finding employment elsewhere because you cannot afford to continue subbing. THAT might get them thinking about you in a new way... Just saying. A little incentive goes a long way. Just stay professional and state the facts. Think about it.

6. BioAngel

Aug 2, 2011

At the same time, doing that might really upset the principal and she/he might take her off the subbing list. Not sure if I'd want to burn bridges, especially if I was unable to find a permanent teaching position-- at least I could continue to sub.

:2cents:

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

I guess you are right. The only thing I noted though was that she said that she cannot continue to sub anyway because she is not making enough money. I would reconsider (I guess )if she planned on remaining a permanent sub. No, I don't think I would. It would make me too mad that I was good enough to be there everyday when they needed me, but not good enough to even be interviewed for a teaching position. I would definitely have that talk. Having said that, I must say that is MY take on the situation. (And I HATED subbing!!!!!!) So, that is an individual decision that she must make with her family.

8. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Sorry about that, LMichele. It seems like NY is a very tough market for teachers right now, but it seems like the Diocese still has other jobs. I hope that one will work out for you.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 2, 2011

SC and Bio..I have a very good relationship with my principal. Last summer he called got me in for an interview with the district for a few openings late in August. The position at my school ended up going to someone who had been doing leaves in the district for at least 5 years. He came up to me personally to say that he felt badly but it wasn't just his decision. He's been trying to find me other openings in the district & sends me any job openings in other areas that he hears of. He's wonderful & understands my situation completely. I will go back to the perm. sub. just because it's a steady paycheck and try to find a 2nd job as well.

I'm also mailing out resumes to every school in the Diocese today & tomorrow. I spent 3 hours on them earlier today and am finishing up tonight.

10. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 2, 2011

try the archdiocese. it pays more :) and has less applicants

11. BioAngel

Aug 2, 2011

I've used a company to land both my jobs working in private schools-- which is why I was asking what subject and grade levels you can teach. My second job is in an independent Catholic school in NJ.

One thing that I did to try to stand out is I asked my priest-- he actually knows me and my husband well-- to write me a recommendation. It wasn't necessary-- you don't have to be Catholic to work at the school, but I thought it would be helpful to show the principal my personal and spiritual sides.