Frustrated

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nangel78, Jun 11, 2011.

1. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jun 11, 2011

How do you stay positive sending out resume after resume and not hearing back? If you do hear back, then the position is filled. Grrrrr.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

Oh, it becomes frustrating all right! It's just, you gotta keep sending them out. EVENTUALLY, you'll hear back. The problem is that the job market for teachers is very bad right now. And, there is not much that we can do except polish up our resume, make sure our cover letters stand out, and shine at interviews.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 11, 2011

You remember why you're doing it... I would not want to do anything besides teaching!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

Think of the scene from Finding Nemo, where all the fish repeat: "Keep on swimming, don't stop swimming."

It's like playing lotto: You've got to be in it to win it.

It just takes ONE resume, but it's got to be the right one. Who knows, maybe the very next one you're planning to send will be the one that gets you the job.

6. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jun 11, 2011

I am also a new teacher coming in with a year of subbing and student teaching. I completed my cert in April.

7. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

I know it's frustrating and at times depressing. Just a tip, for me sending out resumes is not good enough. I had to make contact for each position that was posted. I would e-mail the principal explaining that I was interested in the position and I would love to be considered. Sometimes I never got a response, other times I got a response that the position had been filled and a lot of times I get a phone call to set up an interview.

This summer I'm having more difficulty with frustration because I can't keep busy since nothing is posted to even inquire about!!! Just keep swimming!

8. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jun 11, 2011

I sent out a lot of follow ups today and got a response the position had been filled. It is very frustrating. We all have worked so hard and then to have this stupid job market to contend with. :(

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 13, 2011

It took me a year to get my position. To keep myself motivated I read a lot (PD, pleasure, etc), worked out 2 hours a day, and kept repeating "It's not personal." Some people get lucky and some take longer. Remember its not you!

This bears repeating: Its still VERY early. My district will not open to outside applicants till July.

10. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 14, 2011

Got another rejection letter today :(

11. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 14, 2011

I feel your pain and can totally relate to your frustration. I just keep chugging away and keep believing that something good is going to happen. Have FAITH!

12. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jun 14, 2011

I definitely know how you feel. I've received multiple rejection letters and a few interviews that didn't work out. Keep sending out! The ones that didn't happen just aren't meant to be and the one for you will come along!! When you send out a lot of resumes, a lot may come back saying they've been filled. However the more you send out, the more job possibilities you have out there. Keep on trying to be positive! Also, many times I had to hide and cry it out before I could feel even remotely positive so if you need to, let it out!

13. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jun 14, 2011

Thanks! I am working my tail off trying to get an interview even! I have started a good rapport with this lady in HR at one ISD that is hiring a new principal for the elementary school I applied at. So that might work in my favors. The rejections I am just deleting and moving on from at this point.

14. Ptycast

Ptycast Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

I really feel your pain. Every interview is costing me daycare with 3 children, gas expense, a free lesson demo, I sometimes get ask to observe for an hour while the teacher makes a break out the door, endless questions and some interviewers are just plain rude. All for my dream.

15. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jun 15, 2011

I feel like I keep spinning my wheels. I got more notices that positions were filled. I feel like I am doing something wrong. I have posted my resume and cover letter in another thread to get feedback. I do not know what else to do.

16. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 15, 2011

I've cried so much to let it out, that I've actually become quite numb when it comes to job searching...:(

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 15, 2011

Remember, it just takes one school to see your potential. Hope you find THE one in the near future. :D

18. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 15, 2011

It is incredibly frustrating when they put off the rejection call. I have gone on 4 interviews and so far only one had called in a timely fashion. The principal actually made the call and thanked me for interviewing but they had choosen someone else. The others send their generic letters. The one that annoys me is the one that said they would call me personally with a decision and they didn't.

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

Same here.

20. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 16, 2011

A friend once told me, "Newbie23, if you don't get a job, it won't be because no one would hire you." Basically he (an economist, not familiar with the interview process for educators) was telling me that I was worthy and that if I failed to get offered a position, it would be because I didn't do everything, absolutely everything I could to make it a reality.

I tried my first summer out of college to get a job. I hesitate to even use the word try. I just assumed that like many other things in my life, something would work out. I only applied when I saw openings and although I had two interviews, I wasn't as prepared as I hsould have been.

The next year, after receiving my friend's advice, I honed my resume, cover letter, etc. I sent out packet after packet and each time I got a rejection I thought, "Well at least I don't have to wonder if that was the position for me and I just hadn't applied for it." That helps me still today. If I see a posting and I wonder if I should even bother, I try to think that if I don't, then I have no hope of being hired there and that could be my one-in-a-million (ok, not that desperate) shot.

21. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 16, 2011

Saw today that a school in my area has finally posted positions! Just on Tuesday they were listed as internal applicates only.

22. rtucker23661

rtucker23661 Rookie

Jun 17, 2011

Thanks everyone. This provided very helpful information to me. I hope to start my first year of teaching in September and have been worried about the job search. I haven't seen many openings and the ones I do see, I don't hear anything back from. I will "keep on swimming" and hope to find something soon. Teaching is what I have always wanted to do so it's worth the wait.