frustrated with praxis 1 math and reading

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by lbritt, Mar 15, 2006.

1. lbritt

lbritt New Member

Mar 15, 2006

:eek: I am a senior at UNC-Pembroke. I was suppose to graduate this May, but until I pass the Praxis 1 Math and Reading, I cannot take my Senior Level classes. I only have 4 remaining and my student teaching. Every single time I take this test I miss it by a few points. HELP!!!!!

3. GoCO06

GoCO06 New Member

Mar 15, 2006

When I took the Praxis II last year, it had been many MANY years since I had taken such a test. I bought Math Review For Standardized Tests (Cliffs Test Prep) by Jerry Bobrow. Spent a bit of time each night working through the chapters and all the problems. It was a huge help.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2006

If working by yourself from a prep book isn't helping, you're by no means alone. See if your university has any kind of tutoring program that can help you, or see if you can find a classmate who'd like to practice being a teacher with you as the guinea pig.

Are you finding that there are particular types of test questions that seem to trip you up?

And have you peeked at the Basic Skills Tests subforum under Examinations for Teachers? The Praxis I exams cover very much the same skills as California's CBEST exam, and there might be some useful information there for you.

Best of luck, lbritt.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2006

I am curious. How did you do in high school in reading and math? What English and math have you had at UNC? Do word problems in math give you trouble? Are you taking the paper form of the test or the compter form?

I checked the Test at a Glance document on the ETS site. The math is roughly equivalent to what is on CBEST here in California. This is stuff that everyone should have mastered by the time they graduated from high school. That said, over half of the students entering the California State University system apparently have to take one or more remedial math or English classes. And many teacher candidates in California stuggle to pass CBEST.

Like TG said, I think it would help you to check out the threads on CBEST in the appropriate forum. As far as math goes, there once you have a grasp of the concepts, nothing beats doing lots and lots of problems similar to those that will be on the test.

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. You are within a few points of passing. Just resolve to do what it takes to pass and do it.

6. lbritt

lbritt New Member

Mar 17, 2006

I did very well in reading and math in high school. I think I must suffer from test anxiety.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2006

Um, lbritt, people who say they THINK they suffer from test anxiety generally don't. There are, broadly speaking, two groups of people who struggle with basic skills tests like CBEST and Praxis I/PPST: the people who really don't have all the skills, and the people who have the skills but overthink the test questions because, given all the terror that the T-word ('test') inspires in the ranks, they can't believe the questions really are that simple.

Do you tend to choose an answer on a test and then change it, and later find out you shouldn't have changed it?

8. jdf142

jdf142 New Member

Apr 4, 2006

IBritt,

I was in the exact same situation as you. I go to Penn State and needed to pass the Praxis Math to student teach.

After failing 3 time, I took all the practice tests at

PraxisMath.com

they have 10 practice tests that are TIMED! That was my main problem, I could do the problems but not it the amout of time given. Their practice tests allowed me to get better at that.

I passed by 4 points last month. I know you can do it too! :)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2006

If you haven't checked out the Basic Skills Test subforum, under Examinations for Teachers, please do so.

10. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Apr 4, 2006

I am amazed at your colleges...I go to Coker College...and they required us to pass ALL parts of the Praxis 1 before we could even declare ourselves as an education major. They feel that if you can't pass that test then there is no need in wasteing your time in EDU classes. I feel that is a good policy. I mean...if you don't pass these parts then you have just basically wasted 4 years of your life right? However, If you cannot pass it then you may want to get a tutor or as stated before...you can use books...they even have sample tests online at ETS.org. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and i'll do my best to help!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2006

If you did well in reading and math in high school, and if you did all right on the SAT, then take your mind back to high school: Praxis I exams really aren't testing anything more complicated or advanced than that.

Your score reports may contain some diagnostic information that can help you figure out how to improve your performance - whether, for example, your issues in math involve computation itself, or geometry and measurement, or estimation, or whatever.

Please be sure to visit the Examinations for Teachers forum - look for Basic Skills Tests, and feel free to post questions about the material you're studying.

12. bjboothman

bjboothman Rookie

Apr 4, 2006

13. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Apr 4, 2006

I found it to be extremly simple...no offense meant. It really wasn't any harder than the SAT or high school exit exams. I just don't see how any college would let you go that far into your education and not have passed the entry level exams. I can't go any further after next year until i pass the Praxis II. I will be a junior. I mean if you can't pass the praxis I then you will most likely have difficulties with the second one. I have heard it is more difficult. I don't blame the students....I blame the college. There is no way that a college should let a student get to their student teaching and still not passed the Praxis I. As said before we have to do it before we are education majors. I'm just really shocked by this.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2006

The difference between Praxis I and Praxis II isn't so much a matter of difficulty as it is a matter of emphasis. Praxis I and tests like it (such as CBEST), are tests of basic skills. (It happens that there ARE legitimate reasons to struggle with it - and that most of the reasons are fixable.) Praxis II exams and tests like them (CSET, for one), in contrast, are tests of knowledge and of your ability to recognize, identify, and apply the principles of the domain.

15. Kaitibeth1

Kaitibeth1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2006

I totally Understand

I understand exactly what you are going through. i was a junior at a school in VA and had not yet passed PRAXIS 1 which put me at a stand still for the program, it was awful, i missed it every time by a max of 4 points and i was ready to rip my hair out. Math is just not my strong point, the writing and reading i did fine on, but the math killed me. I finally ended up transfering to another school, and while it stinks because I started at a new school as a second semester freshman it was absolutely the best move i ever made. Yes, it will have taken me 6 years instead of 4 to graduate but i have learned so much in the past 4 extra years. The only advice i have is to stick with it, you will get those extra points and will end up doing very well. Have you tried books and study programs? Have you tried taking it on the computer? I did that and while i still missed it by one point it did imporve my score, just by taking the test a different way. Good Luck and just keep at it you will make it!!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 5, 2006

Here's a good choice for math help: Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day, 3rd ed., by Judith Rabinovitz (LearningExpress, 2005, ISBN 1-57685-485-X). This is a LearningExpress book, and like LearningExpress's other offerings, it's quite well thought out. Should cover all the math you need for Praxis I and then some.

17. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Apr 16, 2006

I thought the Praxis I was a requirement in order to get into most teaching programs. I didn't think you could take education classes until you passed the Praxis I.

Keep in mind that the Praxis II is much harder than the Praxis I. The more practice you get and the more you focus less on your test anxiety the better you'll be. Sometimes I think that people use text anxiety as an excuse for their poor studying skills or memorization skills. If you think about it, if someone asked you what the 7x5 is or who the first president of the US was, would you experience text anxiety? If not, then this means you really have to focus on your studying skills and learning to remain calm under pressure.

I passed both the Praxis I and Praxis II tests on the first try. I also thought I had test anxiety, but the more I realized it was just my studying and memorization skills that were lacking, the more confidence I had in the material I studied...therefore passing both tests.

Just something to think about! I wish you the best of luck.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2006

JNewbie, part of your point is that attitude is a huge factor in success on tests, and that's absolutely true.

19. NewsWatcher1978

NewsWatcher1978 New Member

May 11, 2006

lbritt, I was nervous when I took the math portion of the PRAXIS I. I have terrible test anxiety and math has never been my strongest skill! I passed the first try by studying out of middle school math books. It sounds silly but for a lot of people it has been a while since seeing that type of math. You should look at your scores and see which areas are giving you the most trouble. I did not study too much for the reading portion but I would just make sure that you are reading the entire passage and don't over think it too much.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2006

Middle school math books sound just about right. Try the Know It All! Math series from Princeton Review; they'll be in the education section where the kids' workbooks etc. are.

21. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

May 25, 2006

hey there! I go to UNC-Charlotte and I'm student teaching in the fall. In our program, they will not even let you enter the program without passing the Praxis, that way no one will be in a situation like you are in now. I would suggest taking the praxis test over the computer. I heard that it is a lot easier. Also, before I took the test I looked over a lot of my old SAT prep stuff. I thought that the SAT and praxis were very similar. I hope this helps!