Frustrated with late work!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by really?, Feb 23, 2010.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 1, 2010

What about those kids who finish early? My son is involved with many activities. He has a research paper due on Friday. This weekend we made him do it. It is completed except for the reference page. He will miss school two days this week for school activities. He will be out until 10 or so three nights this week--also school activities. So for him, it made sense to finish it this weekend while he had time. That meant no time for girlfriend this weekend. And he was stuck home with mom all weekend.

He went to this class today. He downloaded it onto the program that they are using for their paper to check for plagiarism (turnitin.com). The teacher became upset that he was 75-80% done. She did not want him to submit it yet because she said anyone that was finished already either cut and pasted it or didn't have the word count. He was two paragraphs over the assigned amount. He told her she was wrong and please check. The site stated that he had 7% plagiarism. I don't agree with that, because the 7% was quotes and he sited that in his paper.

Now my complaint: Here is a 4.0 student, with a high A in the class being threatened with a lose of points because the teacher didn't want him to work ahead. If he hadn't worked ahead, he would not have it turned in on Friday and she wouldn't have a chance to do the proofing that she told them that she was going to do for them. But she told him she should take points off because he worked ahead. Is this right?

2. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Mar 1, 2010

There's a lot wrong here---too much to even bother to address---except for to say that I apologize on behalf of our nation's educational establishment.

3. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Mar 1, 2010

Students must do their homework on time. However, I do give three "freebies." Homework is important, end of story.

I've had students choose not to do their homework or not turn it in on time, and that's their choice. It lowers their grade only a few points, but that's ASSUMING they get 90% or higher on everything else. I give five exams per quarter (each 100 points), at least one project (100 points), tons of debates and other discussion based activities (100 points), and homework (5-20 points). The homework ends up making up a considerable part of the grade.

Furthermore, aren't we supposed to be preparing them for college? Granted they won't have professors giving them dittos for homework, but just getting used to time management and reading/writing is important.

I design my class so that anything that lasts more than an expected 30 minutes is given two nights to be completed. I think that's fair.

For instance, the homework this week:

(Honors U.S.)
    Monday: Take notes on Chapter 8.1
    Tuesday: Handout (political cartoons)
    Wednesday: Handout (practice questions)
    Thursday: No homework
    Friday: Tkae notes on Chapter 8.2 and study for quiz

(Honors World)
    3/1: Read Glencoe pp. 284 - 295 and complete packet for 3/3
    3/2: See 3/1
    3/3: Study for Unit Exam tomorrow!
    3/4: No homework
    3/5: Read Glencoe pp. 302 - 307 and complete handout for Monday

Because my policy is fair, I do not except more than three late homeworks. Projects, essays and other long-term assignments, are not accepted. I agree with Alice that life happens. However, I give more than ample time to do long-term assignments so I don't accept them late.

4. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

In my district we have to accept work whenever it is handed in, without penalty. We also have to send home an enormous amount of paperwork to let the family know of the incompletes, gather again and send home all necessary materials for them to get it done, and then give another end due date for everything or there will be an "I" on their report card. At that time we have to go through the above process all over again, and if then not turned in they receive an "F".

As for late assignments, we have to accept them. To me it doesn't teach much about deadlines or personal responsibility.

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 3, 2010

My general policy is to accept late work, but penalize it 5 to 10 points (depending on the size of the assignment) for each day late. I do this because I frequently have students rush me at the end of the quarter trying to make up all the work they've missed to bring up their grade. If they do an assignment I gave them 2 months ago in a big rush to cram in missing work, they aren't learning and the assignment is pointless by that time. If it is 2 months old, they are also out of points possible to earn.

If students were absent, or have a big home issue and take the initiative to meet with me about the problem, I will let them have an extra day with no penalty.

This being said, I also have students who are plain lazy and don't complete class work despite all my proding. I don't let them make up class work they were in class for, and were too lazy to do the first time.

6. oldgreyhorse

oldgreyhorse New Member

Mar 10, 2010

Late work

I am an education student still in college, and your post caught my eye. While not having the experrience of a classroom teacher yet, I can only offer my opinion. I think your expectations of your students getting their work done on time is certainly within reason. Even in college, I listen everyday to teachers complain about late work, even with reminders and dated assignment lists, students still turn work in late. If it is not stopped in high school, or even in elementary school, when will it be stopped? How will this effect these students latter on in the marketplace? My son is in fourth grade this year and his teacher sends home his homework and a calander of tests and assignments and their due dates. If a fourth grader can do it, why can't a junior or senior? It is the students and parents who are dropping the ball here, not you. As long as they have enough advance notice of when an assignment is due, it is not your fault. The last thing we need to encourage is another generation of procrastinators. Stand your ground and explain to your students that turning in their work in a timely fashion is a life skill best mastered now than later. Good Luck!