Frustrated with kinder!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newkindermom, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Jan 6, 2016

Hi all,

I am extremely frustrated with my class this year. I have students that seem incapable of listening to instructions and following them. I went over procedures extensively at the beginning of the year and they still don't follow them and seem like
    they can't even be bothered to even try and remember!! For example, when students finish work they place it in the finished work.. I have about 2/3 of the class that still does not follow this simple direction. I feel like I can't keep taking time to go over it when we are already missing so much learning time due to inability to listen or follow directions. I also get very frustrated with lack of care for class materials (glue sticks, white board markers, books) because I purchased most of these things and it makes me crazy they don't take care of them! Is this normal in kinder or would you expect your kinders to have these skills by now!? I feel like I can't move past the most basic of tasks and can't do any fun projects bc they can't listen and honestly don't put a lot of effort into anything they do. Ready to quit!! Any advice is appreciated!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2016

How much teaching experience do you have? Is this your first year?

4. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Jan 6, 2016

This is my second year, I had similar issues last year but definitely not this bad!

5. tulip

tulip Rookie

Jan 10, 2016

i had the same problem..but then i made a group chart for reinforcement ...and make groups compete even on small things like the first group to put all the materials on table will get a star..and so on...at the end of the week we choose the winner group and they get presents candy stickers or anything that make them smile..it doesn't have to be expensive..also i made an individual reinforcement sheet...they stick it in their excersice book and it has criteria like behavior, participation ....etc ..at the end of the month who gets the highest number of stars will be the king or queen of the month..they get a present and i write their names on a chart that has a picture of crown on it.. this helped a lot in my classroom

otterpop likes this.
  6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 10, 2016

I would expect them to know better. I taught Pre-K for the last few years and they all took care of the classroom (toys, books, supplies, etc).
    This year I'm in a new school with a different population and I've been having similar problems (but they are preschoolers & are new to school), so what' sometimes works for me is taking that thing away (eg., if they don't remember to put the playdoh back in the cartons & it dries out, I take away the playdoh)

7. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Jan 12, 2016

Tulip, I have so many reinforcers. I actually feel like my students focus way too much on "what do I get for doing this" rather than "I should do this because it's the right thing to do." Which is such an important, although difficult thing to understand. I have students that constantly ask me "who won?", "do I get a prize for this?", I just want them to do what I ask of them without expecting a prize for showing somewhat acceptable behavior! I have been in other classrooms (in other school districts) where no prizes were ever given and the behavior was excellent, but not where I am working (urban, very diverse, very low income).
    Back to my original point, I don't feel like I should have continue to remind students constantly about procedures I have been teaching since day 1 of school. I am just so tired of feeling like "is it just me?? Why won't they do what I've asked??" It's definitely not defiance (except for one or two students), it seems like the students just simply do not care to do the right thing.

8. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Jan 16, 2016

I work as a sub, and have worked in all grades. I know what you mean about the students just not listening to instructions, or not following them.

When I am in a class, and know that the full-time teacher expects students to turn in work I have only one way to make sure that all work is turned in. that is to collect the work myself. I usually tell the students to place their finished papers on the teacher desk, or on one of the group tables. Then either at a prep period or during lunch I put the papers in order guided by the class roster. Then I IMMEDIATELY make any student who did not turn their paper in properly bring to me at once,. That also helps me with students who just fail to do the very first thing they should do with a paper, put their name on it! It takes a few minutes to do this, but it takes a lot more time to constantly have to tell the students over and over to put their work in the completed basket! I also do this any time I am required to administer any kind of test, to be sure that each student finishes and that I have every paper ready for the teacher to grade.

If I know the papers are to be taken home in their "take home" folder, I call them by group or table to place their completed papers in their mailboxes for take home.

At dismissal I have a similar routine. I call them by table or group to pick up their items from the mailboxes, get their backpacks and coats, and return to their seats. Then I observe them to be SURE each student places the take-home items in their backpack. This is a little time consuming, but works very well and is especially valuable when notices etc from the school must go home with them.