Frustrated with Job Search

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jun 5, 2012

I am getting so frustrated with the job search. I have emailed and mailed my resume/cover letter to countless private schools and catholic schools with no response. I wonder if they even look at it, or if they'll consider my application. I know its only June, but I am getting worried I won't have a job for next year.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2012

What part of Texas? The principal at my old school is worried about filling all her openings with quality teachers.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2012

Are you willing to relocate?

5. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jun 5, 2012

No, I want to stay in the Houston area but am willing to move to suburbs. I have family in this area and although I am single and could move, family is the most important thing to me. I don't want to move anymore than an hour or two away if I can help it.

6. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 5, 2012

Don't give up hope. Something will turn up.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2012

Too bad. I'm on the interview committe two and a half hours from Houston.

Good luck finding something closer.

8. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jun 5, 2012

teacherintexas, where in Texas are you?

I'm looking for something in the San Antonio area. I taught 4th grade in Houston, and I hated to leave, but I had to. =(. I moved to SA because I'm getting married. Fiance lives and works in SA as a HS teacher.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2012

Not San Antonio.

10. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jun 5, 2012

ok thanks.

11. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jun 5, 2012

Emmy, I know it's frustrating. I went through the same thing last year. I got hired 15 days before school started. I was a nervous wreck most of the summer, but persistnace paid off. Don't give up. I'm on the same boat this year. My principal asked me everyday up until the last day of school if I would stay in Houston and she'd help get my fiance a job, but he's been teaching 10 years and didn't want to move from where he is. Now I'm looking and although worried about not finding something for the upcoming school year, I know I have to be patient, as frustrating as it is.

12. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Jul 26, 2012

Have you found anything yet? I'm getting discouraged too, and have pretty much given myself the summer to find something, or I will have to find something in a different field. I've been looking for years, but just certified this past year.

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

I feel the same way. Getting nervous. Thinking well, maybe I've got to move on and look in another field. My DH has been supporting us since we had children. I need to start contributing some serious money to our bank account. Subbing won't cut it forever.

14. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 27, 2012

I'm kind of at that point myself. I don't know if I should stick with subbing, or do something else that will make us some money. Trying to plan a wedding on this budget is just way too hard! :(
    Nervous!!

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

This is the really tough time of the year. Winding down, jobs still appearing, but we all know time is of the essence. So the pressure is on.

I know lots of people who got jobs in Aug., and in fact I got my first job in August. Signed my contract three days before school started!

I keep trying to remember this...but it's so hard with so few jobs out there.

16. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

Well, you seem to have made some progress in your job search and you might have actually gotten that job in VA if you had the certifications. I wouldn't give up just quite yet. Just make sure you have all the necessary certs before you apply since it is too close to the beginning of the school year to get it in time.

17. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

I've pretty much given up on getting my own classroom this year. Many district start this coming Wednesday, so there's no time to hire and train a new teacher. Plus, even though the state has had my information since May, my teacher license has not been completely processed - it is only showing that I am pending review of my transcripts/Praxis scores.

At this point I feel that I worked my tail off in college to earn an excellent GPA, invested multiple hours (probably days/weeks/months) of time to research teaching methods, and have no job to show for it. I want to get my Masters, but again, I wonder if I'm wasting my time with an Education Masters if I can't even get a job yet.

I've had numerous interviews, so I look good on paper, then principals who don't hire me tell me that it was a difficult decision and they just opted to go with someone else, it was nothing that I did wrong that factored in their decision.

18. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 28, 2012

It's definitely not a waste of time. You will learn a lot, gain an additional degree AND certification, and will be more marketable! Plus if you can't get your own classroom, you can sub/TA and focus on classes in the evenings. Once you get your own classroom it will be harder to do that.

19. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

Don't give up!! I got my job last year 2 weeks before school started! You can do it! :)

20. bet3

bet3 Companion

Jul 28, 2012

I am frustrated too. It took me 2 1/2 years to get my first teaching job and then I was laid off in May due to budget cuts. I have had 4 interviews and 4 rejections. School will be starting next week in my area, even though there were a few positions posted Friday.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2012

Keep hunting! My district has 117 jobs posted and the kids don't go back for more than three weeks. There are opportunities out there.