Frustrated with classroom management :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher_cc, Apr 22, 2009.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

I'm a first year teacher in 3rd grade. I've got two problems and I'm not sure what strategies will work. I've tried numerous things, but if anyone else has any ideas PLLLLEASE share! For the most part I feel like I'm pretty stern and the students KNOW what my expectations are; however, I have a few boys in my classroom that either constantly call out, and one who has ADHD that cannot sit in his seat whatsoever. I am in dire need of ideas......

3. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

Seeing as how it's almost May, and school ends in 8 weeks, start thinking about next year :)

Starting properly, with a good set of expectations and consequences will make the rest of the year much easier. In the interim, in my class calling out repeatedly = name on board, and then 45 minutes after school if they continue. The ADHD child should be given time to work, and time to move around - he finishes a few questions, he gets a bit of a break, etc.

All that being said, start properly next year, remember your mistakes this year, and you're good :)

4. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

Actually, I think you can make some in roads this year. Look into Power Teaching. It is right up the alley of your problems.

5. darkangel

darkangel Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Its April and I started 123 Magic and love it! It's kind of what I already did but more clear to the kids. I am loving it. I also started a little Power Teaching and the kids love it! When I saw it online I thought it looked chaotic but the kids are so involved its great. It makes me want to do more of it. I figure try it out now so I can work the kinks out for next year.

6. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Apr 23, 2009

What is 123 Magic?

7. darkangel

darkangel Companion

Apr 23, 2009

1-2-3 Magic for Teachers by Thomas W. Phelan and Sarah Schonour
    It was originally a discipline system for parents. It's pretty basic. They get 3 chances until there is a 5 min time out. It talks about "stop" and "start" behaviors. You only count "stop" behaviors (yelling, disrespect, arguing, teasing, out of seat etc). You simply say "thats one" calmly with no emotion and without reasoning with the student. Start behaviors are a different category that require motivation techniques. It really fits with my personality and basically what I did already just not as systematic. I swear I am enjoying my students so much more now. :haha:

8. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

It, too, is my first year teaching. It took me a while to find the program that I liked, but about one month into the year I began Power Teaching. It was a saving grace, my students are now the best behaved in the school. The program worked so well for me that I was asked to do a training for my district. Quite a few from my school, and many others, have picked it up since.

9. MSMath29

MSMath29 Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

Tools for Teaching is working great for me in 3rd grade. Kids will do anything for more PAT minutes...including behaving.

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 23, 2009

seconding Tools for Teaching. It has changed my whole outlook this year. I am much happier and calmer

11. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

I think the keyword darkangel used was "systematic". As long as you have a discipline system you use and you follow through with that's the most important thing. It could be Tools for Teaching, it could be a system you've devised. The main thing is for the children to be able to understand what the consequences will be if they break the classroom rules. I have my own discipline system that works very well for me but may not suit somebody else. It all comes with experience.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 23, 2009

That's my biggest concern with going with a system like Power Teaching. I know me and I'm not sure that I would ride it day in day out with my high schoolers.

I also know them.....I know I can make them get in the routine and grudgingly do it, but if I don't get religion with my holding to it...it will totally fail.

I also think this reflects on other aspects of my classroom management. I need to be better at strict enforcement of a my core rules.

At the moment, the kids are tired and so am I. In my judgement, I lightened up way too early and now I'm having to work to rein them back in.

Live and learn.....Fortunately, I have great students this semester!!!!! They are very forgiving of my weak points.