Frustrated over adminstration's discipline

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by abby1966, May 23, 2007.

1. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

May 23, 2007

Is anyone else out there frustrated over their administration's discipline? I've had a couple of students who have repeatedly been to in-school suspension for being disrespectful to me as well as other teachers, constantly being disruptive in class, suspended off the bus numerous times, etc. All these students get is 1/2 day in in-school suspension so naturally the behavior continues because these students laugh at this type of punishment. Is this the norm at most elementary schools?

3. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

May 25, 2007

YES!! I am too!! Which is the MAIN reason I chose to transfer to another school. The administration has a bad reputation all over our area. Except when we send a child to the office for being disrespectful or disruptive or any horrible situation, the office allows those students to stay in the office helping the secretaries. They run errands for the office, stack boxes, file papers, cut things, tape things, COLOR PICTURES... I mean, what student wouldn't want to be sent to the office?!!! I certainly would rather be COLORING than doing math drills... wouldn't you?!!?!

The students know they can get away with bad behavior. So it makes it more frequent. Also I've had several parents tell me how their child has gone home HAPPY about being sent to the office because it was FUN! errr.....

Sorry... I'm still mad! ha ha

4. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

May 25, 2007

If we sent students to the office for being disrespectful our principal would complain and tell us we weren't effectively handling our own discipline!! So I just didn't do it b/c it never did any good. They'd much rather go to ISS than get a paddling from me.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 25, 2007

I'm still mad about an incident three years ago. A student threatened to stab me in the stomach with a pair of scissors. His punishment? He had to wash tables in the cafeteria for three days.

Excuse me???? What????? I was very happy when the AP who assigned that "punishment" was demoted and transferred to another campus. I'll see her every once in a while, and I really still do not like her. I hope I don't get her son next year.

6. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

May 25, 2007

I posted about this about a week ago. We had a group of 4 boys repeatedly hit another student while a 5th boy videotaped it. Their punishment - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Not even lunch clean-up. Principal didn't even call the parents of the boys involved.

So to answer your question, yes, I am extremely frustrated over my principal's lack of discipline for students.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 26, 2007

I once sent a child to the principal for hitting. She came back 3 minutes later with a piece of candy from the principal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 26, 2007

Funny the way that came out! I once sent a child to the principal because she was hitting others.

9. Salpy

Salpy Rookie

May 26, 2007

My principal is the patron saint of poorly behaved children and bad parents. I don't even bother sending kids up to her anymore, including bullies who beat up other kids. She either blames me or the victim, or both.

A couple of years ago, one of our second grade teachers had a very manipulating child in her room. One day during lunch he went to the principal crying and saying he hated doing spelling sentences in class. The principal called the teacher from the lunchroom, reprimanded her in front of the child and told the child he didn't have to do spelling sentences anymore.

So a while later the boy did the same thing again, this time over homework, I think. The principal again reprimanded the teacher in front of the student. At that point the teacher just stopped expecting anything from the boy.

I really believe teachers should be able to periodically evaluate their principals. It is not going to happen, though.

10. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 27, 2007

What's a paddling?

I hear you on ineffective administrative backup! I understand that I need to take care of classroom discipline, and I do 90% of the time. When I need help, I get the "this never happened last year" or "you need to better manage your class!"

11. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

May 27, 2007

I sent two for fighting and I was told, quote "I am not here to babysit your kids." I learned real quick to discipline myself. It is not worth sending anyone up.

12. Aida Poo

Aida Poo Rookie

May 27, 2007

Are you kidding? The comments I am reading are ridiculous!!! I would have to quir or transfer if my principal got onto me in front of a child! That is totally unprofessional, and unjust. Is there anyway you guys can be transferred to another school in your system? I have to say, my administrators do a great job, and he has told me he would back me up on anything. I WOULD SO COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS!

13. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 27, 2007

Aida, yes it is ridiculous. I am transfering to a new school in July :)

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

There is absolutely no discipline in my school. For in school suspension the students get sent to another class, and when they start to disrupt in that class they get sent to another. Kids walk out, talk back, hit teachers-no consequences. Next year they want me to (are forcing me to) move from second grade to sixth grade because they think I will be able to handle them. I am in the process of looking for another job now-even if I have to stop teaching for awhile. I would hate it-but I can't imagine another year at my school.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 28, 2007

We now have a fabulous administrator. No matter what, he backs up the teacher. I have even seen him backing up a teacher who he totally disagrees with - so do all the other staff members. But he sees his #1 job as supporting his teachers. Yeah! He has taught me so much about discipline and how to get kids, even 5 year olds, to figure out what the problem is and figure out how to fix it. He won't do it for them! He is super. But we have had some doozies here!

16. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

May 28, 2007

Well, you're lucky if you have one that will discipline the kids. I'm so over it because ours will not.