Frustrated... (just a rant)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ShadesofGray, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 30, 2010

I hate that I never post here anymore, but I do read pretty frequently. I've kinda been in a funk over jobs this summer and tried to stay occupied to keep my mind off of it. At this moment I'm away on a mini vacation but the job seeking drama found me here this morning! I got two phone calls from friends that were going in to their schools to start setting up for school, which starts next week. :unsure:

While neither of them were calling for that specific reason, it still pains me. I hate explaining my situation over and over. I hate when people just don't understand the situation we're all in. I had a per diem position last year that was so difficult but I was so grateful for, and I'm currently waiting on a decision by the district as to whether or not my position will be continued (the principal is pulling for me and has stood up for me and the job that I did, but it's out of his hands). I had a conversation with my godmother this morning that had nothing to do with this, but in conversation she said, "What do you do? Sit on your ass." To which I got so offended and responded as any teacher would, and to which I got a reply that I'm a "part-time teacher." Because I don't have a job yet.

I know she didn't mean to be hurtful, but it still hurts... I don't know where I'm going with this. Just ranting because September will be here soon and I have no clue what I'm doing. I know I'm not the only one in this situation. I think I'm just slowly breaking down because of it. :(

3. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

Have a good cry (or two) and know that you are doing the best job that you can. There will always be better days than others; don't lose hope!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

Keeping fingers crossed on that district job....

While you are waiting, have you sent your resume to every public, private and charter school in your area? I saw 3 ed jobs in my newspaper today- there are schools that hire up to the last minute!! Don't rule out mid-year maternity leave replacements or retirements. Get your sub paperwork in everywhere...something will work out.

5. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 1, 2010

Thanks for the advice. After this post I decided (after an hour or so of being upset lol) that I'm going to just stay positive and know that I can make the best of whatever I end up doing.

That may have paid off because I got a phone call this morning from the secretary saying that the principal wanted to talk to me and wanted to know if I could come in tomorrow morning. I'm crossing my fingers that it at least means I still can continue my job this year!

6. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Glad to know you're feeling better :)

7. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 2, 2010

Thanks! I'll feel even better after I go see the principal today lol. Two hours from now... :unsure:

8. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

Good luck!!
    And :hugs:

9. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 2, 2010

Thanks everyone! The verdict is in, I got my job!

Last year I worked as a push-in special education teacher for the school, 3 grade levels. I spent most of the day in the 4th and 5th grade self-contained class, but also pushed into other special ed classrooms. Our state decided to change the score cut off limit, and it hurt our scores. All of our kids showed growth, but because of the cut off changes it looked like they didn't do any better, which in turn made it look like they hired me and it didn't do any good. The principal had told me he was standing up for me and continued to express how happy he was with the job I was doing and that the students did do better because of me.

The principal told me today they looked at the scores again and noticed the growth, so they decided to let him continue to have me. The best part is, he wants to make some changes. Instead of having me push in, he's looking into having me do pull-out work, mostly one-on-one. Which means I have a good chance of having my own little room. I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks for listening to me whine and complain lol. I truly appreciate the support. Positivity really pays off. :)

10. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

Wonderful news! Goodluck with the school year :)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

That's great news!!!!

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

Yay You! Congrats!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2010

That's great! Congratulations!

14. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 5, 2010

Thank you! :)

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 5, 2010

I'm so glad to hear you got your old job back. Great news for you as well as for those students who you are helping.

16. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 8, 2010

Thank you! I'm anxious to get started. Still waiting to find out all the details!

17. itsmejenni

itsmejenni Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

CONGRATS !!!!! I am so jealous lol

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 12, 2010

Great news!

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 13, 2010

Go you!