Frustrated, hurt, and thinking of changing careers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by koop, Aug 30, 2008.

1. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I went into teaching because I wanted to make a difference and help kids who struggle, and now here I am again trying to land a full time position after three years of trying and three full years of subbing, and one year of working as a part tinme AIS Teacher. I think I want out of this career. I hear of people getting a job right out of school with their bachelors degree. I have my masters degree and this doesn't help. I can't even get a job in a daycare teaching preschool because I am over qualified. Can anyone explain why. This is beyond frustrating. It is a major turn-off. :(

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2008

I know how you are feeling, because I'm feeling the same way. I have my Bachelor's in education, have started my Masters in Curriculum&Instruction, have subbed, and have 2 years teaching experience (kinder and 2nd grade), and I am having a hard time getting a job as well. The teacher shortage is a myth unless your in math, science, or sped (and even this is saturated in most areas). Teachers are not retiring at the rate predicted because of the economy and colleges are cranking out teachers as fast as they were before so we have several teachers applying for a low number of teaching positions.

I know its tough and frustrating, but if you truly want to teach, I would keep at it. I have often thought about what else I would want to do if I couldn't get a teaching job, but I can't see myself doing anything else. So I do what I must to get a job.

4. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I totally feel for you on this. This is how I feel too. I am 2 classes from my Masters in Special Ed. and after teaching for 6 years and taking 2 off to go back to school full time and help with an ailing parent, I can't find a job. I am now looking out of state out of desperation. I too know people with only a BA who get great jobs out of college. I tried changing careers once and it was a disaster. Because of all my education, I was considered over-qualified for most entry-level jobs. I was considered under-qualified for others because my only realy work experience was in teaching.
    So, I went back to school to get my masters and finish my credential and now am in debt for financial aid and now....no job.
    It is unreal when I stop and think about it.
    I've reached out for advice or thoughts from others who may have gone through this, and am now exploring my options.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help, but just know you aren't the only one out there struggling with this. I'm in CA and it is bad out here. Where are you at and what is your certification in?

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

It took me 4 years to get a teaching job and that was with a private school (I didn't want to move). After 6 years of experience there, I couldn't even get an interview in the public or catholic school district. I actually moved out of the country to teach in a public school and I had no problem finding a job in a public school district when I moved back...go figure. I am happy that I did not find a job in the public school district b/c I grew up a lot having to move out of the country to a state where I did not know anyone to teach.

6. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I am from New York, and have three certifications- Early Childhood Ed., Childhood Ed., and Literacy. You would think I'd be able to get a job, but where I live there are several Teacher's colleges.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

New York is a tough place to find a job, there are many teachers on this board who are also looking. I was looking to teach there too! Good luck!!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 30, 2008

I am currently licensed to teach in NY--- at a school from Long Island, but I never thought it would be a good idea to try looking for a job there. I know that there are too many teachers out there, so without too many connections I know I would have never found a job there. I came out of it with some good recommendations and a science license, which helped me find a job in the state I've always lived: New Jersey!

If you truly want to be a teacher, don't give up. You might not find a job as easily as some of us have, but that doesn't mean you're a bad educator... it just means that either they knew people or there was a person that they felt fit the spot better.

I wish you the best---if there seriously no job around for you where you live, you might want to consider moving and going to a place that needs teachers (which I know is much easier said then done).

9. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

It would be so much easier if I cvould move, but with one child a senior in high school, and another a sophomore, and a husband with an established business, it isn't going to happen. I'm thinking that age may be hurting me too. I am almost forty. Anyone else think this could be true?

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 31, 2008

Oh geez, no you're still young Hun when it comes to teaching! My Supervisor just changed jobs and she's older than you--- idk how much older, but she is.

I can see why you wouldn't want to move when your kids need to stay in the school that they're in (that's very sweet of you btw).

Do you have places that do tutoring around you? Alot of those businesses have been popping up around NJ from what I've seen. So many you could make some money through that.

Also, I know if you contact school and say you'll do tutoring, they'll usually let kids know about it.

11. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 31, 2008

I am certified in special Ed and English. I took the CSET to get certified in Science. I am certified in biology and Earth Science and now I am trying to get certified in chemistry. I work as a special education assistant and I woked as a sped teacher in the past. I live in Southern California. What are my chances of finding a job? I am 53 years old.

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

Special Ed folks.... especially those in SPEECH.

If you would consider re-locating...CONSIDER the Chicagoland suburbs. When I look for a job...that's all I seem to find open. If i had ANY leaning that way, I'd grab classes in it myself.