Frustrated at myself..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherhoosier, May 20, 2014.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

May 20, 2014

Must get a little vent out on here..nothing bad or anything, or just a little frustrated at myself.

We are winding down (5 days left!) and my teaching partner (who I love and has taught and helped me in so many ways) traded our last nine weeks writing prompts. Looking at hers versus mine, I am getting a little down about my kids' writing progress this year..I know, I know..I shouldn't compare since academically I have a lower class than her (over half of mine came in below grade level and I am retaining six kids), but I am thinking, wow, did I miss something in teaching writing?

Writing is so developmental, but I had a low group of writers last year, so I wonder what I can do better. Maybe I just need some more time to fine tune things (my teaching partner has been doing this 20 plus years compared to my two).

Next year, I know I need to get a plan to further develop my writing lessons and hopefully our literacy coordinator can help ..

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

May 20, 2014

I don't know details, but some teachers do a lot more revising/editing with their students. I worked with someone who basically rewrote it and the students copied it.(I am not implying this is the case, but it may be in some instances.) Writing is a process and I think it is difficult for some students to "get it all together".Hang in there!:)

4. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

May 21, 2014

At the end of every year I beat myself up for what I don't think I did well enough with my students. This self reflection is what makes you a better teacher.

Another thing to consider.....Every group is different. My class this year LOVES math and hates writing. Test wise they excelled in math and only did okay in writing. My previous class hated math but loved writing. They complained about stopping writing to go to lunch! Obviously, they did very well on writing tests, but not so well on math tests.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 21, 2014

Writing is completely developmental and you can't make kids do things they aren't ready for. The key is to expose kids to concepts and then work 1-1 to support their development. They will surprise you sometimes with what they have learned.

I've never done writing prompts in grade 1. I just give them blank pieces of paper and 15 minutes to write every day. I do mini lessons when I notice things in their writing and I work 1-1 with students to add to their pieces and work on mechanics.

I expect everyone to use the word wall to spell sight words otherwise they sound out words on their own. We have weekly word wall tests so they remember the word wall is there and they practice using it.

I start this on the 1st Monday of grade 1 and there are always a few tears the first time, but at this point in the year we are cruising.

Do you have a writing sample from the first day/week of grade 1? Pull those out and stand back in awe of their progress. It's always important to remember where you started.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 21, 2014

I am very frustrated with how I did this year also. I did not have enough time to develop my curriculum well enough. I feel that I could have done such a better job. I will finish strong and hopefully be a lot more prepared next year!

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 21, 2014

:yeahthat: I absolutely love this one teacher at my school and she's a great teacher BUT I know she coaches the kids a little during our DRA assessments (they make a really big deal about the scores at our school). Her scores are always higher than most of us.

Even knowing that I still get caught up in comparing myself to others sometimes. I think that's why we have to do SLO'S now...not just to hold teachers accountable, but so we can see progress more than just achievement. for instance, my teammates kids are almost all on grade level or above. I felt bad at first, then I looked at our data. Most of her kids started out on or above grade level. ALL of my kids were very low. I had like 70% go from DRA level 1s and 2s to 8s, 10s, 12s and 14s. Sure, that's still below grade level but it's a lot harder (imho) to go from a 2 to a 10 than to start as a 10 and become a 16, 20, or 24.

But I digress. Don't feel bad!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 21, 2014

Sigh.

Writing was always my least favorite subject to teach. I felt as though I improved over the years, though.

Take what you've learned this year (as far as scores are concerned) and use it as fuel for improvement next school year.

Please don't beat yourself up about it.

9. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 21, 2014

Definitely let it go....(I'll avoid singing it :) )

I love teaching my kids writing, but I haven't always. I stumbled across the 4-square writing method by watching videos on line to find something different to teaching writing. I needed to improve in this area big time because I wanted more for my students to develop in how to write what they're thinking.

This year has been the best year as far as teaching writing in my 5 years. It wasn't the best year because it was my first year using this method. But after going through the process and teaching my own high school daughters how to use it for their homework (they have to write a paper in EVERY subject in high school because of the CCSS), I've learned more about myself as a teacher...and you will too! :)