Frustrated. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Meepers, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I need to figure out what I am doing wrong here or what I COULD be doing. I'm going to rant here a bit... bare with me...

I have been job hunting for three years to get an English teaching job. I've subbed for 4 school districts one school year and temporarily taught at an alternative school for another whole year (they couldn't offer me a contract because of position cuts within the system and instead REPLACED me "by law"). I recently worked for a national summer program that did college preparatory work with students, from all around the United States, interested in legal careers. I look at my resume and think, "Wow, I got a good chunk of experience that someone will want to hire me!" I thought this year I would have enough experience to take on a full-time teaching job since I walked out with a LOT of references. I had no beef from the people I previously worked with and everyone loved me.

I was "hired" by the assistant principal from my former high school back in May. However, HR turned around and said I couldn't be hired because they were STILL placing teachers who had their jobs cut within the county. The assistant principal apologized profusely and PROMISED when another position opens, I have it. Another position finally opens a few weeks ago and when I contacted the person who made the promise to me, I found out that the assistant principal got promoted and couldn't hire me. :eek: My name got passed on to the person who does the hiring, but no call backs saying they were interested. I tried contacting the other person who does hire, but NONE of my calls, e-mails, personal visits were answered back! I have been trying for a couple of weeks, but learned that I am dodged and swept under the rug by the other person... so NO JOB.

Well... it's August now and that usually means it's harder to get a teaching job unless a teacher calls out at the last minute (doesn't always happen). I have gained a few other interviews here and there since I pushed for them. I have made follow-up calls, made personal appearances at schools by dropping off resumes and asking to meet principals, and strongly emphasized my background experience as to why I would be an excellent candidate. I even went to a job temp agency and did a mock interview to make sure that I was hitting all the right points to persuade someone to hire me, and was told that I was fantastic! The person who did the mock interview used to hire teachers for a school system and said she didn't see any flaws while I was being interviewed. That's good enough, right?

Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere with this. I'm still NOT hired and it's almost too late to hire any teachers at this point. The excuse I hear from follow-ups is that someone with more experience gets the position! :mad: Every time I hear that, I'm thinking, "My alternative school experience of being able to handle rough challenges and manage a classroom on the spot isn't enough?!" I've dealt with a number of issues from those students that would make a lot of teachers leave the school. Heck, even the veteran teachers are trying to get out since it gets a little chaotic there at times. I've stayed with those students every day without taking one leave day (and that's says a lot about how brave I am), yet I'm told that I don't have "enough experience" when they are interviewing the external candidates and are no longer taking teacher transfers?!

My recent interview was yesterday... the other candidate before me was scheduled an interview a half an hour before mine... and she was in with the principals for an HOUR, overlapping my scheduled interview, while I was given only 20 minutes. I walked in feeling discouraged like I didn't have a shot at all even though I tried not to think negatively. My nervousness hit so high when I sensed someone else got the job based on the length of their interview. My other interview before that, the other candidate before me was being shown around the school building before I was asked to come back to the office and interview (the offer was closed)! I drove to those schools for an interview when they were an hour and a half drive for me.

I am at the point that I feel incredibly discouraged and that no matter what I do, I will not have a teaching job. The state I reside in will not give me the time or day for an interview ... for whatever reason because that's Pennsylvania for you and their school systems are almost impossible to get into. Yet when I get Maryland interviews, a few principals admitted that they shied away from my application because I live out of state. :eek: It makes me feel, "Great, so is that the reason why principals have been dodging my application?!" It's not like I live that far and I can relocate once I am given a job!!!!! People do this when they get hired all the time!!! I've started stressing during interviews that I have places to live and can move immediately if they hire me.

I am certified and went through 5 years of college at a Maryland institution. It's been three years now and I'm not seeing any results. :banghead: It's getting harder to afford my bills and I have been applying to other school systems other than Pennsylvania and Maryland. This just keeps getting ludicrous! I'm almost thinking about going back to school for IT certifications for a job in the federal government, wait and apply for overseas teaching (which I don't want to after hearing horror stories of people being stuck in a foreign country and laid off without warning... IT HAPPENED TO MY EX), or enlist in the Air Force even though I am incredibly passionate for teaching. My alternative experience hasn't taken that away!

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. It's coming to a point in my life that getting a teaching job seems so far fetched and it's so hard not to get upset about my situation.

Any :help: or suggestions are welcomed. I'm out of options and ideas at this point.

3. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Have you asked any of the P's you interviewed with for specific feedback after your interview. Perhaps that might be the first step to take to find out what you need to improve.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

Do not give up! If this is what you want you need to keep fighting for it! I just read someone on the forum here stated, there is a perfect school for you out there and I think that is true, but you will never find it if you give up! Good luck! keep your chin up! take a day off rejuvenate, but then get back up and start working!

5. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I have. They say I am a fantastic candidate, but someone with MORE EXPERIENCE gets it. Well dang... how do I get the experience if I am not given the chance? My subbing and national summer program isn't just enough for these snobby employers!

Yea... but I have been searching for YEARS and my bills keep on stacking and stacking up. I cannot keep waiting and live like this. It's why I'm thinking military or spicing up on IT certifications to apply for government positions since teaching isn't getting me anywhere. :(

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

MOVE!

I know, at first it sounds really ridiculous, but if you are flexible, this might be best option. There are tons of Northern Virginia vacancies!

I had just signed a lease in a small town, but had gone through months of job searching with no luck. It was October, and I felt like I spent everyday trying not to cry about not teaching. One day I just decided to try my luck and email every single principal in Fairfax county and Prince William county with a job opening within my certification areas. I immediately got several responses- one withing 10 minutes, which later became MY school :) This was in OCTOBER! I responded to the principal and set up an interview for the next day. I did everything on a whim, and drove hours to make the interview, but I'm glad I did it. I received the job offer about 10 minutes after leaving!

It was definitely tough to uproot my life and move... but I wanted to be somewhere with a teaching job. Teaching makes me happy, and when I wasn't doing it, I was miserable.

And by the way, I'm sorry that the original job offer didn't work out :hugs: It's messed up that they would do that.

PW county:
    https://jobs.pwcs.edu/Jobs/

Fairfax county:
    https://hrnet.fcps.edu/vl/Vacancy

7. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Aug 3, 2010

:yeahthat:

I live in MD and decided to give Va a shot! I got my job in June and I am moving next week! UVAgrl928 is a great contact!

Don't give up... but broaden your search! Good luck!

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

Not sure if this will help you, but I got this email today. I am pasting the text here:
    Join Johnston County Public School System for their first Online Job Expo. This event will be held between August 3rd and 5th, 2010.

Administrators will be online to chat and interact with you about available opportunities with their school system. The event is FREE to attend. Wake County Public School System looks forward to seeing you starting on August 3rd.

To participate, all you have to do is visit www.educationjobfairs.com and click on the event title under "Current Events". This event is held online so all you need to do is access the event page as per above. The event is free and there is no need to login. Click here of features and benefits of participating in an online event like this one.

Don’t miss on this great opportunity to interact and connect with the professionals from Johnston County Public School System about available and exciting teaching opportunities within their District.

Hope it helps, I have not a clue as to the location of this school system, but having read your post, I thought it couldn't hurt.

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

My only suggestion for you would be to MOVE! I just graduated from college this past May and I sat in classes to hear my advisors, professors, and guest speakers to tell my classmates and I that we have about a slim to none chance to get a job in IL because of the economy. I was depressed. I just spend a large sum on money to get a college degree to have people tell me I am not going to get a job?! We had a job fair and I decided to go talk to every candiate out of state. I had nothing really holding me back. I applied all over the county and still in my state. It ended up my boyfriend got a job in IL about 3 hours where we were living so I decided to go with him and move there. That day he got an offer, I got two interviews one for Nebraska and Colorado. I feel like opporunities are out there, you just have to look hard for them. I would go to www.k12jobspot.com and just start applying to every state and every position you are qualified to teach on there. it is time consuming but I did get calls this way. What better way to get a dream job and a new place to live then move away? You went to college to be a teacher and unfortantly right now with the economy you have to make decisions to further yourself. Good luck.

10. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I'd apply for Virginia and I would love to live there, but unfortunately I am not qualified to teach in that state. They have the highest PRAXIS test scores and I had to take both PRAXIS tests several times to pass for Maryland standards. I am a horrible test taker.

As for moving, I have applied up and down the east coast with very little luck. My financial situation is getting harder for me to move around and with budget cuts school systems are not paying teachers to relocate.

I'll keep looking on www.k12jobspot.com though. Thanks. :unsure:

11. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

Have you tried Delaware? It was very easy for me to get a DE license, due to state reciprocity with MD.

12. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

Good luck Meepers. I would also try to look up what states are easy to get licensesed with a MD license.

13. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

As for Delaware, I recently applied for it. However, by the time I get certified it will be too late to apply for schools in DE. The one thing I LOVE about their Department of Ed. is that getting the certification is free! :)

The problem I noticed with getting a teaching job is that you got a three month window out of the whole year for school systems to pick their desired candidates and hire. If you don't get it, you're basically screwed for another year. Some people do get hired in winter, but it rarely happens and budget cuts are making schools hire long term subs that cheaper to afford and aren't given benefits. That's what blows my mind about getting a teaching job and the pressure is on with a lot of new prospect teachers! I walk into interviews feeling very nervous knowing that factor and hoping I pleased the almighty principals who gives the final judgment.

I looked at k12jobspot today, but I found a couple of states are NOW doing away with PRAXIS scores altogether! I'm not kidding. They are resorting to their own teaching certification tests to be "qualified." These test must be taken at THEIR testing center, but it's a pain to do that when you live several hours or states away. It's also a shame since a lot of prospect teachers paid hundreds of dollars taking the PRAXIS test to qualify for other states teaching/administrator standards outside of a state they reside. I looked into the Teacher National Certification so I can literally teach anywhere in the US, but I need three years of teaching experience; they don't count substitute teaching!

Look, I am really sorry for being negative here. I hate being like this too and could really use some help like many people here. I am trying to see and find the lighter end of the tunnel through this economy. After a third year of no success and being stuck in the same old situation again, it gets incredibly irritating. I've started applying for government entry-level jobs now even though it's definitely not what I want to do with my life. I'm incredibly passionate for teaching and working with adolescents (I mean, I put up with juvenile delinquents and STILL want to teach) feel very discouraged that I have to turn to another route for my own financial survival :(