frustrated and upset about interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacherfan, Jul 11, 2009.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 11, 2009

Last week I had an interview and after thinking about it, I am feeling more and more like I really didn't do well :(. I am so annoyed with myself, my mind went totally blank a few times (even though I "knew" the answers) and I don't think I sounded completely confident. Part of the problem was the principal I was interviewing with seemed bored (the other person, the HR director, was friendly). He just didn't seem like he was interested in being there at all. Another problem was that I didn't know what grade I was interviewing for as the person who set up the interview couldn't tell me. It wasn't until the end of the interview that they told me that it was for middle school. I wish I could do it over! Just feeling sad right now...

3. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I'm sure you are just being hard on yourself. I bet you did fine. DONT over-analyze it. Just stop thinking about it now. If its meant to be, it will be. That is extremely difficult to interview for an unknown grade level!! How are you even supposed to have targeted answers if you dont know the grade? And I bet the principal was interested, they are just extremely hard to read. I thought I bombed one of my interviews (first round) and ended up making it to the third. You just never know.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

:hugs: Sometimes when you think you did bad, you actually did better than you thought you did. Do you know when you might find out about the job? Crossing my fingers for you!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2009

Maybe the principal was bored because he already knew he wanted to hire you! ;)

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

I cant give you the advice of not worrying because I know I;d be doing the same thing you are! Do you know when you find out? The best thing to do right now is push it out of your mind as much as possible, I agree that you probably did alot better than you thought and you never know what the principal was thinking! Some just act like that and it doesnt mean you were doing a bad job! Hopefully, they dont make you wait too long so you can either celebrate or move on!

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

This definitely isn't fair to you. It also seems a bit unproductive on the part of the interviewers. I'm sure you did fine, though. :thumb:

8. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

I had an interview many years ago where I sat across from two administrators, dressed in suits, who the entire time during the interview kept straight faces, and did not respond to anything I said, aside from maybe a slight nod. They looked bored and totally uninterested in what I was saying.

I did get the job. But I sweated through the interview. Now I have come to believe that it was a test - how well can this candidate do under the pressure of receiving no positive feedback?

9. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I think it could have been a test too. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you did a great job!!

Good Luck!!

10. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks to everyone for your kind words! I know I shouldn't re-think the interview too much but there are so few jobs out there and so much competition, school districts can afford to be very choosy. Hopefully I hear something soon. They said they wanted to make a decision fairly quickly.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

It sounds cliche, but you are interviewing that school as much as they are interviewing you. Think about your interviews as a conversation.

I interviewed with a P who I thought totally hated me. The interview was very short, he didn't ask me any questions about teaching, and he seemed bored. A week later, I get an email saying I was one of the top 2 candidates for the job!

You never know...

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I would try not to trad too much into it and focus on things around you. Best Wishes to you.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

I'm sorry you didn't think your interview went well, but remember every interview is a learning experience and gets you closer to your job.

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I agree with ECL.
    I had an interview in April where the AP was nodding in agreement and smiling. But the P sat very straight-faced, hardly acknowledging most of what I said. I knew I was answering the questions well. I thought she just must not like me.

well the next day I got the call offering me the position. She was so happy and told how excited they were to have me. After that I went to observe there and the P walked out, nearly ran to me and gave me a great big hug and just kept telling me how happy they were to have me.

I am now convinced that she was testing me - to see if I would be thrown for a loop by her demeanor. It is hard to continue on when you don't feel someone agrees with you or is interested in what you are saying. I think they do that to see if you'll mess up - if you have canned answers, you'll toss them.

15. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

Well, I didn't get the job.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I'm sorry, that wasn't the right job then. It will come, take it as a learning experience for the next one. Best wishes.

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

I'm sorry, teacherfan.

18. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Worst case scenerio, you learned some more tips for future interviews.....sometimes it is so hard to read the interviewer! Good luck!

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

I know it's not easy but it really is a learning experience. That learning you will take with you next time and do even better. Good luck!

20. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Bored interviewers are the worst! A few weeks ago I drove to an interview 2 hours away knowing that there was "at least 1 position" open. So when I get there (after waiting 30 min. after my appointed time) the principal informed me that there was only 1 position and he had narrowed the paper applications down from 150 to 42 and would be interviewing all 42 that week (I was there on Monday). It was an hour long interview based on perceiver questions that was audiotaped and he yawned/squirmed/daydreamed the entire time. Part of me wanted to say, "Bueller... Bueller..." ;)

While it stinks that you devoted all of your time and energy to the interview, a.) maybe it went better than you thought and he had just heard what he was hoping to early on in the questions and b.) if nothing else, you've gotten a little more interview experience under your belt.

Good luck!

21. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

I am sorry too. There is something out there for you. I interviewed at different places before I got my job. :)
    Interviewing is hard and very stressful.

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 15, 2009

Sorry about that. I hope the next one is yours!:hugs:

23. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

This has been so difficult. I feel like my options are dwindling as the days go by. I don't know how much longer my family can survive with me just subbing.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. It is nice to come to this board and have fellow teacher support.

24. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I'm so sorry! Keep pushing on! It will happen.