Frustrated and Drowning :(

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by CreativeTeachR, Nov 13, 2013.

1. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Nov 13, 2013

Quick background info- I have been teaching this age group for about 4 years now. I started my career in a day care center, went to a catholic school got fired for being a lesbian and ended up in a school readiness program last year. I left that program in June and found a new job in August for this school year (where I am now!)... When I got hired they did not lay down what the hell I was in for!!! I REALLY wish they would because its like a bad nightmare you can't wake up from!

Why your probably asking!!! This is why!

Its a head start, special ed and community program!!! All three groups mixed in one class... Now that may not sound like a lot but I have 30 kids (15 in am and 15 in pm) and I am responsible for head start- paperwork beyond paperwork, home visits 2x a year, and following their horrible curriculum! No one seems to be able to get into the gray area of this collaborative. I am not employed by head start, but I have them observing me and evaluating me and telling me what to do and what i can't do! I only have 7 head start kids!!!

Special Ed- I have about 9 IEP kids in my class. This is my first year teaching special ed! I've never done PPT's or IEP's until now. My mentor for the year is a 4-5 grade teacher and has never taught pre-k. So frustrated because I don't get enough support and the administrators don't even understand what we do in class! I have ASD kids with no support they hardly get the services on their IEP's. I know that education is going towards mainstream, but there is that gray area in between. :blush: Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a special ed teacher...

Community- these kids are the peers for my other kids and I feel as though they are getting swept under the rug. All these kids are in my AM class and I have three really tough IEP kids that just shift the whole classroom environment. I know we can't create the perfect class, but what i am saying is that the curriculum that we are doing is not preparing them for Kindergarten and the parents are calling and complaining and than I get the thick end of the stick!

I've been "in trouble" twice already!!! A parent emailed my AP and P last week because she was so upset that head start made me take down my weather frog because we don't dress frogs in the "real world"! These kids are 3-5 and the head start director is so frustrating because she doesn't like anything cute!!! :confused:

I've been wanting to vent in here for two months, and I guess tonight is just my over boiling night because I had no where else to vent!!! This job is making me physically ill now! I get in school at 7:30 and I don't leave till almost 6 every night! and it is as though no matter what I do its never good enough or they are never happy! Needless to say I will be looking for a new job yet again!! I've been in three different jobs in the last year... not good for my resume, but I can not continue to work for a school district that is so disorganized and with no support for their teachers!

Thank you for reading :help:

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 14, 2013

First, I am sorry you are having so much trouble. As a former Ed Manager for HS, I can see why. Having 3 sets of children is a big responsibility. I would be glad to help. I do need a few details.
    1. Do you have an assistant?
    2. What curriculum are you using?

As to the cutesy stuff--Head Start does not allow cutesy stuff. All items in the classroom must be reality based or created by the children.

Your age group is too wide. Setting up a room for aged 3 to 5 is difficult. It can be done, but dividing up the kids would be better. Is that possible?

4. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Nov 22, 2013

Wow, I am so sorry you are going through this! Headstart positions aren't easy jobs especially if you are a lead. I've always been told is that you put past employment that you benefited from on it and stayed well over the probation trial (which is generally 90 days, 6 months, or 12 months, it depends on your definition). I left three jobs myself this year and I kept one of them off of my resume because I was still within the probation trial and I honestly didn't learn or benefit from it.

I'd only use the ones were you left on decent/good terms on your resumé. In addition, potential employers can now only ask past employers for verification of your employment by law. I don't even think they can ask if you would be a suitable employee anymore. That is what your references are for.

5. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Nov 26, 2013

Well, you certainly sound frustrated. As a Head Start Teacher I would like to help with that aspect. If you have questions for what is more Head Start appropriate, I would be happy to make suggestions if you would like to hear them. You are welcome to message me if you like. Regarding the dress up frog. Well, nitpicking about the frog (from their end) could be frustrating, I agree. I'm not sure what your frog looks like. But could you use a doll? a felt cut out of a child? something more along the lines of what they consider relevant but also doing something that you would like to do? Head Start can be a bit of dance. If there is anything I can help you with, I'd be willing to help.

Venting is not bad. It's necessary sometimes. But can you make some changes that might feel comfortable for you but also match their curriculum?