Frustrated and Discouraged =(

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by sweet81, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sweet81

sweet81 Rookie

Jan 16, 2007

Hi,
    I'm from NY and I got my Master's Degree in Elementary Ed. I moved to FL about 2 years ago. I have been flying back and forth to take the CST Elem Ed Test. This is the 2nd time I took it and failed by 5 points. I don't know what the problem is. When is enough enough?? My friends and family keep telling me "don't give up" because of all the hard work I put into 5 years of school to get my MA...but I just don't think they really understand. I want to teach soooo bad. The CST exam is the last one I have to take before I get my NY License and I can't seem to figure out why it's taking me so long. I don't really know what I'm asking for here...but I guess I just wanted to put my thoughts out there and see if anyone had any advice or something. Currently, I am working Full time for a really good company...not teaching related..but it's not where my heart is..I want to be in a classroom. I want my License!! Do you think I should keep fighting for my license in ny and take the CST test again??
    I'm soo upset...my body is numb at this point. I don't know what to do..what to think...how to feel... Why does it have to be this hard?? =(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2007

WEll, this is no consolation, but so many things we value ARE hard.

Now, to practicalities. I know nothing of the CST exam-- I received permanent cert before it came in. (One of the priveledges of being OLD!) But if you failed by 5 points, then you ARE capable of doing this.. the 3rd time is bound to be the charm

In the meantime, have you considered private/religious schools? You technically don't need certification to work there. So why not apply all over, and see what happens?

Hang in there; it WILL all work out for you!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 16, 2007

Don't give up! I took a test five times in Maine before I finally passed the stupid thing. I finally used ear plugs so I wouldn't get distracted. Best of luck. Don't give up!

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2007

Try looking into getting a study guide from the public library to get yourself more comfortable with the questions and/or essay topics. I did, and I have to say that I passed all 3 tests the first time. I think it has something to do with me using the study guide and writing sample essays. The book gives you clues of words to look for in the question and also gets your mind going towards answering the questions the way they want you to answer them. Not neccessarily how YOU would answer them. I hope this makes sense. Good luck to you-I know how stressful this all can be.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2007

I refused to fail the first time, so for my exams in Michigan I bought a guide online. Then I took out all of my old textbooks (I knew I was saving them for something) and I wrote notes, extensive notes on every single line in that book. I did this for a few hours a night for months. Research shows if you write it down you will remember it better. So, maybe you need to try a different study method. Mine worked for me and may not work for you, BUT try something different.....and no, don't give up. Just take it again, next time it is available. THE VERY NEXT TIME.

If you fail again, or if you remember now, brainstorm write down every question you remember from the test, EVERY one, and keep it around where you can jot down stuff as you remember. Then be sure you know that stuff backward and forwards.

Good Luck

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 16, 2007

I took the CSET English 4 times before I passed it. I even got tutoring. Is it possible that you could get Florida certification instead? Terry G.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2007

I was also thinking about the Florida cert first? I have a friend who took the TEXES English exam 3 or 4 times before she passed. Hang in there, dont get discouraged. Good luck in the future!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2007

Are there any performance indicators or diagnostics on your score reports? I know that the tests that NES runs in California all have information that can help test takers get a rough sense of what went wrong - which content domain needs more study, what kind of response needs more shoring up with big ideas vs. technical terms vs. evidence, and the like. If you haven't carefully examined everything that came with your written score report, this might be a good time to do so.

You might also try looking at some of the threads in the Examinations for Teachers forum. Most are on different tests - but teacher tests tend to have elements in common, and there just might be something there that will help you.

10. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jan 19, 2007

Are you trying to teach in Florida or NY?

That NY CST exam is terrible! What subject are you testing for?

I took the social studies CST and it was nothing more than a test on test-taking skills.

You'd be better off getting a guide on multiple choice test-taking than you would a guide on history.

--Adam

11. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

Dont get discouraged, i agree you have to see the sample tests they have them on the board of ed site. There is a certain format that they want you to follow when writing the essays and a certain amount of examples for the essay. The multiple choice on that thing is ridiculous, some of the questions i had were really odd. I passed it the first time about 2 years ago by like 5 points, and i was surprised i even passed the thing.