From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Sammie, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Sammie

Sammie Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

I jsut finished reading this book as a possibility for a read-aloud. Have any of you read this to fourth graders? If so, did they enjoy it? Some of it seems a little outdated and I'm not sure if the kids will like it. Any opinions?

3. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

This Newbery award winning novel is in our fifth grade reading and language arts curriculum. The children love it, but that could also be due to their understanding the different elements of it (differences in money and technology, art history, etc.). I wouldn't suggest this as a read aloud unless you plan on doing some background lessons throughout its being read.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

This is one of my favorite books EVER. However, I would introduce the historical background first. It was written in the 1960s, which does state a lot about differences between now and then. It can be an outstanding book for introducing mysteries and the skill of comparison and contrast.

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Sep 2, 2007

I agree with the above posters. My kids love it and how today differs from then.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 2, 2007

I loved the book but I don't think it has aged as well as some others.

7. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I also remember reading this in 5th grade. I loved it and still do. I agree though, that there should be discussion about the differences in the book. I don't think it is different than introducing any other literature that isn't contemporary.

8. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

I loved it as a kid, and read it as a read-aloud last year. About half-way through, I thought that maybe it was too dated as we had to stop and explain/discuss several things. When the book was over, though, the kids really enjoyed it and said I should continue to read it. (I always poll the kids as to whether the book is a keeper in the read-aloud list.)
    Oh - my kids are from rural Colorado and most have never been to a museum, so it was REALLY different for them.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

Could anyone, just to help, point out some of the differences, just to kind of make a little guide for us to start on? :) I may eventually go for this book, too.

10. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Sep 3, 2007

The price of things have changed such as the price of a subway ticket. (In the book it's called a train.) Also, the price of food. The kids take 28 dollars and some change with them when they leave, and they are able to live a week on that. Today, there would be no way. Also, forensics has changed. The whole point of the book is that the kids want to find out who sculpted an angel statue. Many believe it was Michalangelo, but they want proof. I know this is a bit jumbles, but I was typing as I was thinking. If anyone is interested, I have resources I have pulled together and borrowed to make my own teaching unit for this book.

11. kdfourth

kdfourth New Member

Sep 4, 2007

I would like to have a copy of your teaching unit if you still have it.