From pre-k to third grade in a matter of days - help!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by emmakate218, Sep 8, 2008.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

Hey y'all! I just found out today that because of the needs of the district and blah blah blah, I've been reassigned to teach third grade at a different school than I'm at now. I student taught in third grade so I have some experience, but with so many things reeling in my head with the shock of this news, I was wanting to get some advice from third grade teachers. Tell me anything you think a new third grade teacher should know. I don't even know if the classes are self-contained or departmentalized! I was told late this afternoon so didn't have time to get many details. Any advice?

3. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 9, 2008

Hi,
    I am in the exact same boat! I have been teaching kindergarten for a few years and now I am being transferred to another school to teach third. I don't have a clue! I have never been in a third grade room, so I'm looking forward to what others have to say about third grade. HELP!
    Good luck emmakate,
    Jamie

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2008

Great to see that someone else in the same boat! It's my first year teaching, but I did student teach in third grade this past March through May. I'm pretty sure my first day with my new class is this Monday. What about you?

5. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 11, 2008

Hi,
    I'm still not sure. We are waiting to hear from the school committee. My principal is trying to put forth other proposals in hopes she can keep all staff. We'll see...

Good luck! Will you have time to prepare your room?

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

That stinks that you both have to change schools and go to 3rd grade YUCK!

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

Hey now Jaime 3rd grade isn't so bad. I am starting my 2nd year teaching it here. (Taught a 3rd / 4th split back in Kentucky). Third graders are more independent for the most part but still love their teacher (at least most of them do).

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2008

I finally found out more info today. Since there are five teachers that have been reassigned to this school, the school is going to do orientations for us, which is very awesome. Tomorrow and Monday are half orientation/half classroom workdays. Tuesday is a day in which we do a full-day observation of a fellow grade level teacher. They didn't specify what Wednesday would be for so I'm guessing it's the first day with the new classes! Which is perfect because Wednesday is "Constitution Day" and it'll be a great activity to talk about our classroom rules and learn about the constitution at the same time.

9. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Sep 27, 2008

I was kind of in the same boat but at the same school. I was told that I was teaching Kindergarten this year. I was SOOO happy because I love the babies. However, they wanted me in an FCAT testing grade and moved me to third after I had purchased everything I needed for K. Anyways, I have been in 3rd for almost 7 weeks and LOVE IT! The kids are great ..and I say this even working at an Urban school. They are still at the age where they love the teacher. They want to do anything to make us happy. But, at the same time, they are way more independent. You still have to model everything and be very consistent on rituals and routines but I am having a great time. I am really happy to be in 3rd grade even though I cried for weeks when I found out! :) Hope this helps!

10. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 27, 2008

Thank you Sabrena,

It's nice to know you felt the same way at the beginning. It turns out that a colleague of mine will be transferring instead.

But I could be in Third (or fourth, fifth, first...) next year, who knows! It's good to hear that you are loving it now.

Thanks,
    Jamie

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 27, 2008

OH yeah thanks for telling me brat(MissB)! I had to find out from DF's mom!

12. toteach70

toteach70 Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

At least you are moving up and not down...I feel it's way harder when you're not use to "holding hands!" I was lost from 4th to 2nd. Just teach them basically like you would any child. Teach them routines, procedures, and keep your thumb on them. 3rd is a hard year due to the change in hormones, the change from primary to elementary, the change in the curriculum, etc. If you have access to Harry Wong's first years of teaching, he has a lot of advice that works great with these guys. I know the feeling of having to change. Went from 3rd to middle school this year. Love the kids outside of class, but they are the biggest group of unmotivated people! L-A-Z-Y, they are! Good luck and hang in there! (It makes you wonder what the districts are thinking!!!!)

13. Beatifulchaos

Beatifulchaos Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

3rd grade is fun. I went from 1st to 2nd to 3rd within 6 years.
    3rd graders are at that "age" to get your humor and banter. They are still loving though, and think that their teacher is the coolest thing since "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody". :)

Make sure that their reading is up to par. If it is not then take the time to go back and reteach them their sounds. It may be a little more work, but they will continue to struggle throughout the rest of their academic career and beyond without that foundation.

If your state teaches its state history in 3rd grade then EMPHASIZE that. History is a GREAT way to teach ELA and writing, and to really get the kids interested. They love learning about where they came from at this age. Most of them have little prior knowledge on historical facts.

Don't reinvent the wheel or stress yourself out. Teach to YOUR kids, and don't try to do EVERYTHING that research "says you should". Remember a lot of that "so called" research is flawed.

You will really like 3rd grade.

Oh and be tough. This is an age where the "smart mouth" monster likes to rear his ugly head. Don't allow it or it will turn into a huge problem. They will still love you even if you are tough on them. In fact, I believe they will love you even more!