from pa to georgia

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by PAescapee, Mar 29, 2009.

1. PAescapee

PAescapee New Member

Mar 29, 2009

hey everyone. i have a dilemma and hope someone can help me out. i live in pennsylvania and was originally going to school for secondary math. about halfway through i switched majors to business. i will be graduating in may and would like to move to georgia to teach. here are my questions. how difficult is it to gain employment and get certified to teach in georgia? i value diversity and want to live in a part of the state that is diverse and also family-oriented as far as activites for my two small sons (ages 9 and %) to participate in. also, with a business degree, would it be easier to get a job teaching business education than it would be to teach math (which is my true love)? any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

Mar 29, 2009

You'll need to take additional courses, mostly education and some math courses, to get certified for secondary math before most districts will consider you. Maybe if you were enrolled in a post-bachelors cert program then some districts could hire you on an emergency basis but it varies from state to state. Why didn't you stick with secondary math? Will you have a minor in math?

4. PAescapee

PAescapee New Member

Mar 30, 2009

thanks for your reply. i'm not really sure why i switched majors, i just thought business would give me more/better options, and i like accounting/finance. i don't have a minor in math, just a bunch of math electives, lol...do you know any specifics to my questions concerning the state of georgia only?

5. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

Mar 30, 2009

teachgeorgia.org should have all the info you are looking for.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2009

Years ago I lived in an Atlanta suburb....... Atlanta was "diverse" to me. I curious as to what parts of Georgia would be diverse today...... sooooooo Georgia teachers help this PA teacher....:)

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Mar 30, 2009

Take a look at teachgeorgia.org, but note many of the systems are on a hiring freeze and the positions listed are for 2008-2009 year. It may give you an idea of what is out there though. You may have to link over to individual county websites to see exactly what is out there for grabs.

Atlanta public schools can be very diverse. Fulton Co schools also span a huge section and have many different neighborhoods and cultures. Many of the outer suburbs are growing by leaps and bounds due to people wanting to love out of the perimeter. Good luck with your search.

8. palla

palla Companion

Apr 1, 2009

A good bit of Atlanta Metro is in a hiring freeze, and many counties aren't planning to hire for 09-10. At least one county just laid off teachers, so there is going to be an increased supply (more than your college grads and career changers).

If you move to Georgia, you will have to take the GACE content exam and the GACE basic skills exam (unless you are exempt). You can apply for schools then, but depending on your background, many school districts won't hire unless you have completed an alternative certification program. Some will allow a one year supervised practium. I think math is high-needs, so if you have teaching experience, you may qualify for the OYSP. Again, it varies by district.

I would suggest you call the districts you are interested in and ask. They can give you the specifics for their district and tell you what the chances are that they will be hiring. I have had positive experiences when calling to get information. Just be polite and let them know you are trying to gather information for next year. I know one HR rep for one district said if you are looking at elementary ed, there isn't much of a chance, but if you are looking at high school, there is a slight chance we might have an opening in 09-10 depending on your field and how enrollment turns out.