From Organizationally Challenged to Miss Organized

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 16, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

Y'all would be so proud of me. After reading all the posts on organizing this summer I was inspired to really dig into my classroom. I've thrown away bags after bags of stuff I don't use, given some to new teachers and after too many trips to the Container Store :whistle: I think the rest will look neater this year. 6 hours straight yesterday going through my closets and cabinets!

At the end of the year last year I was joking about how disorganized I am (first step is admitting you have a problem, right?) and the group of teachers was surprised-except for on one who said-just look at the corners of her room where stuff is piled up. :blush: You think people don't really notice, but they do.

Anyway this year I am going to be better!

3. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Yay to you!

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

That's great! I love organizing. You'll really see a difference this year. Now, stay with it!

5. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Woohoo! If you stay organized, it will make your days so much less stressful!

I love getting into my classroom and getting everything organized. I'm dangerous with a label maker! ;)

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

I did the same exact thing! My room looks amazing compared to the other years! :hugs:

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

Great job, it's a time thing too and a MIND thing. LOL

I threw away one hundred pounds of junk this summer! When I walk in the room I just feel better.

8. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I've really been inspired to organize this year too! It doesn't hurt that my new suitemate is super organized.

I got rid of my teacher's desk (thanks to a thread on here:)), bought uniform plastic bins and got rid of tons of stuff.

Congrats on organizing. I hope we both can stay organized this year. Good luck!

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

Thanks you guys! :wub: Yeah, I know staying organized is going to be the super-hard part. I was talking to my mom (she always comes and reads to the kids in December) and she said she couldn't wait to see what I'd done. I told her I'm not sure it will still look like this then :whistle: but I'm really, really going to try.

I can actually see what Big books I have in my closet-so I know I will use them more. I have room to store some things so everything won't have to be out. I found stuff in boxes that I don't even remember putting in there - why I wasn't using them this whole time I don't know. I kept going to my neighboring teacher -look what I found, what is wrong with me?!

But it will be better now - I vow to stay organized this year. 3 staff kids in my class, many visitors from our administration already planned, I better! :D

10. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

:lol: Don't you love that?

As I was sorting through my stuff, I had one simple rule: If I hadn't used it in 2 years it was going to another teacher or in the garbage. Who knew throwing stuff away could be so cathartic?

11. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

good luck!

I'm also trying to stay organized. I definitely need some help in that area too though! LOL

12. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 16, 2009

Kudos to you kindercowgirl!

Hopefully I can stay organized this year. ;) Tomorrow I plan on going through the closets and cupboard to shed some more junk.

13. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

Good for you!!! I'm the anal.. I mean organized one on our grade level... I think of it as the second.. while the rest of my grade level thinks of me as the first :) That's okay, at least I know where everything is!!!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

People couldn't believe how much stuff I had stashed in my cupboards when I cleaned out. I just said that's why when you need safety pins, yarn, construction paper you come to me.

15. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

YEY! Me too!

I'm with you all. I've moved rooms for the last 2 years. I started cleaning out my new room the first week of Aug, there was so much stuff in there. It's a beautiful room! After reading the original post here, I had to laugh. I drug my hubby to the Container Store!!! My Favorite store! We bought stuff for my new classroom of course. Can't wait to get my stuff unpacked now!:rolleyes:

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

Definitely!

I cleaned out my closets and cabinets at the end of the school year last year and found stuff that I hadn't used in the past 3 years! Out it went. I recycled SO much stuff....I felt bad and swore to myself that I'd really work on cutting down the paper usage (which I think I'm already fairly good at).

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

My goal is to get organized this year. I'm a huge mess!

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

Do you have a plan for getting and staying organized?

19. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 18, 2009

I worked hard this past May/June to organize things in my classroom, then during the summer I worked on stuff I'd brought home. I feel very good about this.

One thing I did was to get more of those cardboard poster storage boxes so I could store posters by subject rather than just smushing them all in to one or two. Next, I wrote what sort of posters were in each box. So, for example, I can now easily see that in my "language arts" box I have a poster on writing good beginnings, one on suffixes and prefixes, specific grammar ones, etc. I found that there were so many posters I forget to use because I forget I have them.

I also have finished switching over from files to binders. I know the typical teacher has overflowing file cabinets, but it just doesn't work for me. It's not just by subject areas, it's also for my record keeping. Today I finished my "first day of school" binder (in a skinny 1/2 inch binder) and I can easily see every single handout/activity idea I've collected the past few years when I sit down to plan out my first day.