From My Laptop to Yours - Figurative Language

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Been There, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 2, 2018

I just started my second attempt at retirement today! My first attempt was three years ago. Anyway, to celebrate this momentous occasion, I thought I would share a multimedia lesson from my digital archives. Depending on the response, I may continue posting other lessons for others to use.

Although this lesson on Figurative Language was developed for 4th and 5th graders, I've also used it with those in the lower grades (2nd and 3rd). Suffice it to say, this teacher-led activity should involve group/class discussion of each slide to promote critical thinking - teacher's comments limited to mainly asking reflective questions. I've shown it to the same students several times (at their request) for reinforcement and found that they eventually used the figures of speech in their own conversations in class. Best viewed on a laptop or projected on-screen with speakers on - download presentation to your computer first. Second graders who had been non-readers were able to read the sentences effortlessly after a couple of days.

Suggestions for extension: Encourage students to review the lesson individually or in small groups. Have them think of a situation in which different idioms or metaphors might be used. Have them write a sentence using the different figures of speech.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 3, 2018

This might work incredibly well with my English Language Learners who are still learning figurative language as well as idioms.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 3, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. Students in all categories (take your pick) responded amazingly well to this engaging presentation. I believe students at the elementary, middle and high school levels can benefit from it. My second graders had no difficulty completing the matching exercise in the final review. Happy to share.