From 5th to Kinder

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by readysetscholar, May 29, 2015.

1. readysetscholar

readysetscholar New Member

May 29, 2015

Hello everyone! I am a second year teacher and I have loved my time in 5th grade. Recently I have accepted a position at a different school for Kindergarten. This school offers better opportunities, but my heart has always been in upper grades. I have no experience with Kinder.

Any advice on how to transition? What are the major differences? Thanks! Also, any Kinder teachers who love their grade and can convince me I will as well!! LOL Just nervous! :dizzy:

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 29, 2015

That is going to be a HUGE jump. 5th graders are pretty independent and the content is more demanding, where as Kindergarten is still very much learning basic life skills like tying shoes and going to the bathroom and recognizing letters. 5th graders also have a much longer attention span, while K involves changing subjects every 15 minutes or so because they literally cannot sit and focus much longer than that.

BUT. Kindergarteners are lots of fun, they're really cute, and you will have LOTS of hilarious stories to tell (because the younger kids are, the more hilarious things they say in my experience).

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 29, 2015

Are you all day K or half day?

If you can, I would recommend reading The Daily Five and see if that will work for you.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 29, 2015

I student taught kindergarten. I found it entertaining and tiring. My mentor teacher was really good at being dramatic and putting on a show to gain their attention. That was hard for me. You have to be "on" all the time - there is no downtime in a day and they will always want to talk to you or show you what they're doing. The kids were so darn cute. They also will come to you at a huge variety of levels - some will be beginning readers while others have never opened a book and know no letters.

As with any grade, classroom management is huge. Also, they eat up positivity.

I hope you enjoy it! Other users in this forum have said it is harder to move down grades than up.

6. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

May 29, 2015

It is fun and you will enjoy it. Remember, patience, patience, patience. The love learning and they will LOVE you! For many it is the first time being away from home! For the parents that can be hard. Be open-minded and understanding. Keep things simple. There will be a big change in curriculum and classroom management. You'll know by the end of the year whether or not you are cut out for it. Rest up! Be prepared to be tired. Changing any grade level can be a ton of work!

7. Kteacher11

Kteacher11 Rookie

Jun 7, 2015

I was hired for Kinder 5 years ago, the only elementary grade I hadn't student taught, and I panicked. Now I love it and cannot imagine teaching the upper grades. Here are a few random pieces of advice:

For many students in Kinder, it's their first year in school, so open communication with parents can go a long way toward a positive relationship.

I'm teach in a complicated building with many turns and hallways so I find myself making sure my entire line is behind me quite a lot and counting students. You have to make sure they're physically with you throughout the day.

Some helpful books are the Words Their Way Kinergarten specific book, Debbie Diller's Making the Most of Small Groups, Diller's Math Groups Book, and Bergen's Teaching Writing in Kindergarten.

Calendar time is a big deal in Kindergarten. A friend of mine just moved from 5th to 1st this year and she hasn't even thought of putting one on the wall/creating and electronic one.

Youtubes for 5 minutes that I love (I download them beforehand): Alphablocks, Story Bots, Pancake Manor.

Get familiar with your content and try to get a teacher on your team to go through your pacing guide with you. I'm sure you'll be with someone who will be glad to help you. Best of luck!

8. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jun 8, 2015

I love kindergarten! The first month is usually the hardest because they are so little and most are not used to being at school all day.

The best part is that everything about public schools are all new to kindergartners. First time eating in a cafeteria, first time playing on the playground. First time reading and writing, which is the best.

They love to learn! They love to please you! They are so sweet! Be very patient and go slow at the beginning.

9. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jun 8, 2015

One teacher that was on one of the forums a while back moved from kindergarten to 5th. She said that on the first day, she thought that all of her 5th graders were geniuses! :lol: