From 2nd to 6th...Then Back to 2nd!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, May 5, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 5, 2012

So...I applied for a transfer to a 2nd grade position at a school I previously taught at.

Anyway, I found out yesterday that I go the position.

I definitely don't regret making the jump to middle school this year, though. My learning curve went way up and I LOVED teaching my two favorite subjects: Language Arts and Social Studies.

I regret telling my current students that I'm going back to elementary, though. They were really, really bummed (many of them were my former 2nd graders). I did let them know, however, that they can come visit me anytime (most of them came from the elementary school that I'm returning to).

I really hope I made the right decision in taking the transfer. For some reason, I don't feel as happy as I thought I'd be. I guess my middle schoolers really grew on me. Everyone at my former school is happy that I'm returning, though!

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 6, 2012

Why did you want to leave?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2012

Congrats!

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 6, 2012

Do I remember correctly that you were recently pink slipped? I went from 2nd to 6th and like you, I loved it. I'm really sorry, but I know this will work out for you. Congrats on getting the job. :thumb:

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 6, 2012

I was pink slipped, but I received a "Letter of Recission" because the district decided to hire me back (I guess they magically found the funds from somewhere)! Anyway, I don't lose my seniority or anything.

The reason why I decided to apply for a 2nd grade position is because due to a change in numbers for next year, instead of teaching Language Arts and Social Studies, I'd be teaching a self-contained 6th grade class (the only self-contained middle school class in the district). Currently, all sixth graders have five teachers throughout the day. I can't imagine having the same group of middle schoolers for the entire day! Plus, it's going to be a "sheltered" class for students who are very low and in danger of going to alternative education.

When a 2nd grade spot opened up at my former school, I immediately jumped on it. Yes...2nd grade is self-contained, but I know the curriculum like the back of my hand!

I really hope I made the right decision!

7. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 6, 2012

Good luck. It seems like your district is flexible with placement so if it doesn't work out, you know you could always return!

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 6, 2012

I think change is always hard, but this seems like a good one. They'll seem like such babies to you after doing 6th. Congrats!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

Congratulations. Maybe in a few more weeks, once you've had time for it to really sink it, you'll begin to feel happier than you do right now.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 7, 2012

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 7, 2012

Congrats! I'm glad that they were happy to take you back!

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 7, 2012

I'm glad you got it! I hope things work out well for you.