From 2nd to 3rd-5th departmentalized!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Chevygirl97, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 11, 2012

Hey guys!

It's been forever since I've even been on and boy have I had a time of it!! I went from 4 years at a Catholic school teaching 2nd grade to a Charter (no text books, project based, a no rule mentality :eek:) for a year also in 2nd. I am now returning to a different Catholic school...but the principal has it departmentalized (I'll be 3rd/4th/5th Math and SS and 4th homeroom) and she expects me to do text free and project based. Anyone have experience with departments? Any great places I can go (besides Pinterest and TPT ;)) for tips, tricks and ideas? I am a total primary teacher and I don't want to be too cutesy for these bunnies, but I am who I am...!:help: Am I overthinking? I mean, kids are kids, right?? :)

<3 Jen

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2012

I moved up from second to fourth. My anchor charts were different naturally, but the room decor, clean desk fairy, and all the other bells and whistles were the same.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2012

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 11, 2012

Learn more about note booking for math. I don't use a textbook in science and I haven't for the last 5 years. It does NOT mean I don't use text-- my students use plenty of text in books and online for research purposes, but we do a lot of focusing on hands on activities, examples, tech, and we use notebooks to put all our ideas, concepts, and vocabulary together. (In essence, the students are creating their own "textbook" as many professionals do in their jobs, while teaching them writing skills and note-taking skills)

You can do it, students will love it, and it can be A LOT more fun than using a textbook :)

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2012

Wow!! Three grade levels and two subjects each? How long is each block?

7. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 12, 2012

Apparently 2 hours each..I have been harassing the principal for a schedule and she said she wasn't planning on working on it until after summer school. Needless to say the crazy Type A mama of a two year old who needs to plan isn't taking that very well.

I came from a year of textbook free teaching however it was self contained and it was easier to teach in a cross-curricular way and make meaningful connections. I am disappointed in doing two subjects that seem (to me at least--at the moment) difficult to connect. I took this position because it is SO difficult to find a job let alone a teaching position in SoCal.