Friends

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherintexas, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Where did you meet the majority of your friends?

1. High school/college

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Teaching jobs

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Church/other organizations

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Somewhere else

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2009

Another thread got me to thinking about my friends. I still keep in touch with friends from high school and college, but most of my friends are current and former co-workers.

Where did you meet your friends?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 6, 2009

I started a thread long ago about friends. :)

Anyway, the few I've had, I met them at school (way back in 8th grade & jr. college) & one was another juror like myself when I did jury duty on a 2 month case (that particular friendship was very short-lived).

(BFs I met at work.)

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 6, 2009

My four closest friends are people I've known for a long, long time. Two of them I met in 7th grade. Another I had known since elementary school but didn't become friends with until my junior/her senior year of high school. I met the fourth friend in college.

I do have several "work friends" that I hang out with sometimes. We go out to eat, go to the movies, or shop.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2009

I can't really pick just one category. I met my best friend in kindegarten. I have another close friend that I met at church. I live really far away now, but we still keep in contact and hang out when I'm back home. My friends I have now are people I met at work and through other friends.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2009

The person I consider my best friend is someone I've known since birth, but she moved far away and I haven't seen her in years. Fortunately, we email often and talk on the phone sometimes.

I have three other close friends. One is from college, and two are moms of my oldest daughter's friends. I talk to/see these women at least a couple of times a week each.

Then, I have an assortment of work friends and other school friends. I'm not as close with them, and I'll go a whole summer without seeing my work friends, and even longer without seeing my school friends (high school/college).

Kim

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I met my best friend on the monkey bars in first grade. I went to a residential high school, so you end up really close to people. Most of us still keep in touch. I'm also close to current and former students, and members of a community organization I joined. Some of them are my husband's college friends.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2009

I have friends from when I was a small child who do not live any where near me, but we keep in touch with email, birthday and holiday cards.

I have friends from college who I see rarely but we laugh and laugh when we are together.

I have one or two really good friends from when my husband was in the military. When I see them, it's like we are still at the Naval Base in Norfolk, sitting on my porch, drinking margaritas- time melts away with real good dear friends.

I have friends from work and who I've met through my kids' lives. Some are dear friends, some fall into the fun aquaintance kind of category....

My sisters and my mom are my friends as well as my family.

My husband is my best friend.

I am blessed.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2009

I'm actually with Ms. I on this one in that I don't really have friends. I'm friendly with people, including colleagues, but I don't go out with anyone. It sounds sad and pathetic, but it's not. It's a choice.

I became friends with a girl when we were doing our student teaching together, and I did enjoy talking to her because we had so much in common yet differences which were very interesting, but her life just became so dramatic. Our friendship basically fizzled when she was having an affair...I think that took up too much of her time and the details overtook our conversations...and honestly, it was just hard for me to take.

I like how peaceful my life is. Some would find it dull, but it's all a matter of opinion and preference. I have my family and my husband, and sometimes that's too much. :)

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I'm having issues with my high school friends, and I never made any really strong friendships in college. I keep in touch with some of the people through facebook, but would not call them up to just chat.

My mom and my husband are my best friends, although my former team teacher is a close 'second'. I call her maybe 2-3 times a week to chat. I miss her terribly and would give anything to team with her again.

I'm also pretty good friends with dh's friends around here that he went to high school/college with. They come to our annual parties and we try to have dinner with them every so often. I'm looking forward to having a set address that they can come visit and stay over at. I love love love hanging out with them and want to get to know them better.

I would consider my A-Z friends to be my closest friends right now in general! I have loved hanging out with TeacherShelly this summer (hugs!), and love reading about your lives and classrooms. Dh doesn't understand, but you guys are the ones I turn to now if I need love and support. I also just joined a forum for people who run the Disney races, so I'm hoping to meet some friends on there and actually MEET them at my races.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2009

I have a great group of friends from home there are five of us. This past year has been a rough year full of heartache, deaths, new beginnings, big moves and changes for all of us. Its sad that some of my friends are not friends with eachother anymore but I think thats normal as time goes on. I still talk with all of them.

I met my other best friend in college. I miss her terribly and we email / talk often. I will be the Maid of Honor in her wedding this june and am so happy for them. Her and her fiance are wonderful people and I truly love both of them :)

I also have a GREAT family who I love to chat and hang out with when I can.

I have a great friend where I am currently living and have met some nice teachers at school.

12. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 6, 2009

Majority of my close friends I have known via high school and church and we all have been friends for over 10 years.

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 7, 2009

The friends that I still have now, 1 is from elementary school, 1 from high school and then the rest are from jobs I had after high school.

14. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 7, 2009

I voted Somewhere else because I have friends from all the other choices plus some. My longest known friend, I met at church.

15. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

My closest friend is a neighbour. We met when she moved in eleven years ago - our kids are the best of friends now.

I met another friend through my son. When he was in kindergarten he became friends with another boy who then was on the same soccer team. Both families became friends and are still very close nine years later.

We are also friends with a few other families that we met through the kids. It's so nice when the whole family has someone to visit with.

My oldest friend worked with me during high school.

I also have a few friends that I met when I ran a play group when my kids were little.

I also have a few work friends.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 8, 2009

My friends are kind of from a hodge podge of places-high school (esp. now that I'm reconnecting with people on FB,) college, a few from school, others from other jobs, friends I met through my sister, etc. It seems I'm on the fringes of a few different circles.