Friendly Opposition????

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cxxkie, Oct 21, 2009.

1. cxxkie

cxxkie New Member

Oct 21, 2009

Has anyone heard of "Friendly Opposition?" One person who visited my centre, said One of my children has/is/uses Friendly Opposition. He does listen, does understand, but seems like he doesn't want to do what is asked. Ex. Tidy up toys, put snack bag away, etc. He does not hit, he only sits down or lays down, looks away...sometimes takes a lot of persuasion for him to do what is asked.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 21, 2009

Isn't all oppositon unfriendly?

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 21, 2009

I would check to see if there isn't any reason behind this child's friendly opposition. Maybe this child isn't used to having to do things at home, maybe this child is in a lot of pain from an undiagnosed disease. I would look into some possible reasons why and go from there.

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Oct 22, 2009

I have a new friend that is the same way. I give many verbal warnings, visual cues, first/then board with reinforcer. NOTHING! We basically have to sit him out and then he complies.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 23, 2009

Is this like passive aggressiveness?

7. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 23, 2009

I think it's unwillingness to do whatever the student is told but rather than lashing out or resisting physically or verbally, the student just doesn't do whatever is being asked. OP, please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2009

I have waited to comment on this thinking here is another new term I haven't learned but really, I have never heard of this. I googled it and came up with nothing so, although I understand the idea, I wonder where that person got the term or they just made it up.

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 23, 2009

I've never heard of friendly opposition either, but I have 3 children in my class with similar behaviors. I tend to agree with Blindteacher. There may be an undiagnosed problem. Today, an Occupational Therapist was in the class observing one my students. He appears to have auditory processing problems. He hears the prompt and understands it, but his brain does not tell his body what to do.

Here's an example: When prompted to sit down on the rug (as we do at the same time every day), he walks to the rug and stands there. He looks around and watches everyone sitting, but remains standing. The OT says the boy hears the prompt and understands it , but his brain is not sending the message for his body to sit. If asked, "What are you supposed to be doing?", the boy will answer, "Sit on the mat." Sometimes he becomes uncomfortable when is not following a prompt starts another behavior- a marching type motion today, hand in mouth, etc.

This boy has similar responses to most prompts all day long. He also has difficulty initiating activities. My child appears to be oppositional, but isn't. He just cannot process oral prompts.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

I had a girl like that last year Dzenna. I wonder how she's doing in Kindergarten.

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 23, 2009

Grammy- Its a lot of work and sometimes frustrating to have a child like this in the classroom. I have 2 in my afternoon class! I'm having a rough year. How did your girl do socially?

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

Dzenna, my whole class was difficult last year and she about drove me insane. Socially? She did o.k. with interacting. Her problems were following through on things she was asked to do. Example- I would tell all the kids it was time to wash up for lunch and they would head for the sink. She wouldn't know what to do until I repeated it using her name. She would then go to the sink and stand there for a while looking around or gazing into the mirror at herself until I told her again. She was like that about everything. If she went in to use the bathroom, she would stand in there and just gaze about until I went in and told her to get on the toilet. She had her hearing tested and was fine. She finally got glasses, but that didn't change her behavior. Very strange, cute as a button, happy all day long (even if she got in trouble,) and sweet.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 23, 2009

I think I will enter the realm of insanity this year. Every other year, I have 1 maybe 2 (pee pee, poo poo) accidents a year. I have not gone more than 2 days without an accident!

Then I have my sensory children.... With the 2 in the afternoon class, each child needs his own "special invitation" with their name to do anything! Sit down, wash their hands, throw trash in the can, clean up, sit down, etc. They do okay socially, though.

My morning child is the same, but is doing horrible socially. He plays with no one. There is no parallel play. This week he lay on the grass during play time while the others all played together. I think he must hate school. He does not play with others, he cannot initiate an activity, and he is easily distracted and always last to finish anything. I have to prompt over and over him all day long. I am so worried for him.

I am so thankful for my OT. She is helping me work with all three, answers my questions and guides me. It is so much work, though!

Its going to be a long year. :(

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2009

Oh I know how it goes! I have a co-teacher in the next room and we share the bathroom in my room! There's days when it's so terrible with pee and poop that we just break down and laugh hysterically!!! We would lose our minds if we didn't. I do have a good group this year though.
    Then there's the kids when you tell them to put their coats and hats on, the same kid will ask everyday if we're going outside (as he's putting his coat and hat on!) NO WE'RE JUST WEARING OUR COATS INSIDE TODAY!!!!

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 24, 2009

I found an OSHA poster thats says "____ Accident Free Days". We posted it in a back room and keep record. So for we've only had 2.
    I think we'll have a party if we hit 5.

16. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Oct 25, 2009

:rofl:That is hilarious!! I need to get one of those for my classroom for spilt milk!