Friending Students (e.g. Facebook)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2009

3. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 11, 2009

This is a great post to bring into the forum. The article was interesting and had a lot of valid points. It was also nice to see how others commented at the end.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2009

Thanks, Petite.
    I hope other AtoZers take the time to read the blog post.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 11, 2009

Here's an interesting one-I just got friended by a school board member!

(isn't lexicon interesting-'friended' is now a "word"?!)

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2009

Wow, kcjo ...

Yes, I love following additions to our lexicon ... when I told my grandfather that I googled my (at the time) boyfriend (now DH) before our first real date my grandfather's eyes got really big. I had to explain what googled meant. Blush

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 11, 2009

:rofl:

So now I have to decide what to do with the request...she doesn't have a lot of friends yet, so she probably knows and is looking for who she requested...so if I ignore, is that snubbing? If I accept, well...then what? I keep my FB very PG, but still. This is a person I have known my whole life, the mom of one of my classmates, so she's not friending because of school...hmm...

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2009

I dunno. Since you know her beyond a school board member, it is probably okay, don't you think? Just remember that she is THERE!:)

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 11, 2009

I know. I'm usually pretty good, and if I do mention something...um...unmentionable...I speak in code!

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 11, 2009

:lol:

11. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jun 11, 2009

While I certainly understand all the potential benefits of friending students on Facebook, I just can't bring myself to friend current students in my classes right now. I feel like I am with them for a substantial amount of time outside of school as it is, and I like that decompress time.

I do give out my cell phone number for them to text if necessary. My primary reason for not friending them is the reporting issue. I also wouldn't want to find out, through pictures, if they're doing inappropriate things, as it would likely affect my professional relationship with them at school.

We currently have a teacher that always asks the kids on Monday how their weekends went. The kids often go into great detail in class and he presses them for information. Then they write in their journals about it, often very detailed information that "won't be shared outside this class." Needless to say, many parents and faculty are very suspicious of this person. I agree with the blogger who made the comment about being "too interested" in students- it's met with suspicion and it's a fine line to walk.

I do get super-excited though, when I think of how many opportunities I could have in utilizing facebook in my classroom, such as creating a historical figure with friends, videos, maps of where he's been, etc. It would also be a great networking resource for all kinds of events that we do throughout the school year.

Is there a happy medium on this?

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2009

:rofl:

13. JennM

JennM Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

I agree with everyone that FB has huge potential as an educational tool. At the same time, however, I am also scared of having FB conversations get out of hand with students. Can you remember a time when you texted or messaged your peers and they took your sentiment the wrong way, because they aren't there to see your expression or hear your tone? This may sound silly to some, but I guess I have had way too many misunderstandings over FB and other isolated situations to implement FB in my classroom practices.

14. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jun 11, 2009

For me, the issue is academic. We are not allowed by "district policy" to have contact with students through technological means; IMs, chats, forums, Text, etc. We've had our district lawyer come and lecture us on this point twice in two years, the same exact lecture. And even though it might not be written down, the tone and strenuous nature of those meetings would lead anyone to believe its the policy of the district.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2009

I don't use FB or MySpace. I tried 2 different times with FB and just didn't find it useful or entertaining. I do use Twitter to follow some of the "biggies" in the education world. I get great info there. There is all kinds of talk about how to use Twitter in the classroom, but you will run into the same online issues.

So far, for me, it is easier to not go beyond email with students. Some students have my cell. (This is very common at my school). Until I got some direction from admin, I wouldn't go further.

16. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

My students get my school emial and I encourage them to use it to ask questions about work or to let me know how they're doing over the summer, but I would not friend a student on Face Book. I just don't think it's a good practice. I have some friends who are wonderful people, but they make have a drink occasionally and if one of them posts something about having a drink, I worry about what my impressionable students may think about me.

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I do not have a FB or MySpace because with my children being the same age as my students, they know enough about my personal life already. I do not give out my phone number but it would not be too hard for them to find it and they have. I do not have a problem with them calling with a question about a test or homework. I also often travel with students in Beta. I always give out my cell number to them in case of any emergency.

18. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Jun 11, 2009

I have FB but it's heavily private and I don't come up in searches. I would never add students to it. I just removed a bunch of people my own age from my "friends" on it because them being on my FB just caused drama. Ugh.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 11, 2009

I've told a couple of my students that they are allowed to FB friend me once they graduate. It's been a great incentive to some of my more reluctant learners. On my end, I look forward to seeing their pictures because I have no idea what my students look like!