Friend was nonrenewed today

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Feb 1, 2013.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

My best friend from work was told she's being nonrenewed today:(. My team is so dissapointed. She is a first year teacher and the admin said she just wasn't improving "fast enough" for what we need for our school and that with us being in turnaround status they don't have time to give her more support. We eat lunch together every day and spend time in each other's rooms before and after school. It won't be the same without her. I also worry about her being able to get another job with a non-renewal. I think she's going to take the resignation option, but applications still ask if you've "resigned in leui of non renewal." Admin is always telling us we need to look "happy to be at work." It was very hard to look happy to be at work today!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

:(

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

:(

And what is the point in resigning if you have to share that you chose that instead of being let go? I don't get it.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

I wouldn't resign without first talking to the union and a job service agency. These days it's so common to be laid off due to economic reasons that it might appear better for a job seeker to be let go than to have resigned voluntarily. I think I'd want some feedback from the union or a job service agency just so that I'd make sure to make the best decision possible.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 1, 2013

Sorry about your friend. It happened to me too. I was nonrenewed & the union president said it's best to resign. I've since returned to school in a different field I'd always been interested in & got a job right away, since it's such a high-demand field.

7. miamibeet

miamibeet Rookie

Feb 1, 2013

So she was non renewed meaning she won't be coming back next school year? It looks like admin had it in for her, 'wasn't improving' implicates she was probably on some sort of professional development plan. If this is the case then they intended to get rid of her all along. The plan was just a cover to hide their ill intentions from the beginning. What a crock. I am sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully she will be able to get something else very soon.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

She was a new teacher, so I just figured they wanted to see the new wear off faster than it was.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

I was told by the union that if I chose to resign, then that is my choice and I don't have to answer that I resigned in order to avoid non-renewal. And in my case, my principal was an absolute jerk so I definitely refused to have my records tainted by him!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

I was told that you don't by my union.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

One of our other teammates is a union rep and she told her to take the resignation. My union rep teammate was also saying that apparently you get an 800 dollar bonus if you resign by march 1st instead of waiting until the end of the year. The district put this in there so they could start recruiting at the beginning of the hiring season (early spring here). The other problem is that if she goes anywhere around here at all, they're going to know my district's reputation. I don't believed they've ever had to RIF or cut anything due to budget, because it's a tough place to work and enough people leave voluntarily. It's a district of about 7,000 students and they hired over 200 teachers this past school year. Along with the several being nonrenwed, there are many teachers in my building resigning by choice as well. So if she puts that she was nonrenewed on applications other districts are going to know it was for performance and not for budget. I'll have to ask about not having to check the "in leui of termination" on her applications.

Basically admin said that they can see that she's growing and taking all of their corrections but with the dire situation our school is in (we're taken over by the state if we don't improve in the next year) they just need experienced teachers that can hit the ground running. My question is why would you hire a first year teacher in the first place if that was your intention all along...

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

It definiely is tricky to explain why you resigned.... I completely lucked out that when I resigned, I was still able to find a teaching job in another school district. I had the connections made already. But, in your friends case, well, that's going to be tricky.... One reason why schools "push" teachers to resign is so that they don't have to pay unemployment. But if you go through the non-reelection process, you will always have to mark that you were non-reelcted. I chose to resign because I didn't want that blemish on my record (and it wasn't fair, I was a hard-working teacher who happened to have a principal start working for our school who was a complete jerk!!! ahem, enough of my rant...), and it worked out for me. It stinks that there is so much pressure that new teachers have to be the best right away. :(

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

I don't agree that they necessarily "had it in for her" all along. If she was struggling, she should have been given a plan and direction, as admin did. Letting go a teacher who is not performing to expectations, is not ill will.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

Well that's really too bad. I am so sorry to hear that. Hopefully she will be able to find another position soon, but I know your team will miss her which is going to be the difficulty on your end. Hugs!

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 2, 2013

Sorry to hear that. Will she be working the rest of the year, or when will she leave? Just thinking it would be really hard to keep working until June knowing that you're not wanted.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

I think you work normally until June.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

I am so sorry to hear of this happening to your friend. :(

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

She is staying the rest of the year. Financially she doesn't have another choice. Our admin is extremely overbearing and it's exhausting trying to fiure out exactly what they want, so the one positive is now she can actually just teach the rest of the year and not worry about jumping through all of their hooops. The teacher she student taught under is going to recommend her for a part time position at her school, and hopefully there will be another part time position open in the district so she could work full time, so at least she has some connections in another district. She is also bilingual which is highly sought after around here.

19. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 2, 2013

Being non-renewed seems to mean different things, depending on where you are located. In my former district it was really bad and a teacher that was non renewed mostly had to go to a private school for a couple of years.

Here, its crazy. Last year in my building 21 teachers left. 14 were non-renewed. Of those 14 teachers, 1 went back to grad school and got a job in a school in another town. 1 went to work in the town I live in (this district is the highest rated district in the state) one went to Jackson, and the others still work for the same district...but in a different school. They were non-renewed first year teachers for not meeting expectations, but they were allowed to put their name in for openings and interviews. All found jobs.

I hope your friend finds something soon. That must be really hard on her, and I think it stinks that she's having to go through this. What is the policy on references? In my district, if the P won't give you a letter of recommendation, I'm told that they will just verify employment...nothing else....can't say anyting negative.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

How so?

21. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

She has a good relationship with the AP so she should get something good from her. We just don't trust the P. She might give her an okay letter, but then say negative things when people call. The P comes off as very abrasive even when (I think/hope) she's not meaning to be. Even if they had a better relationship, if it were me I still wouldn't use her as a reference. We were thinking it was better to just use the AP for the "supervisor" reference and leave the P out of it all together. Like you said if she's not listed as a reference, all she can say if someone calls is that she worked here.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

I don't think it's true that they expect first-year teachers to perform miracles. I think that they expect first-year teachers to be effective. It's not always easy, and it doesn't always happen, but it isn't an unreasonable expectation.

We hear lots of complaints about how first-year teachers aren't able to get jobs because they lack experience. When they do get jobs, people complain that the jobs they get are too difficult for first-year teachers. Honestly, it seems like a no-win situation.

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

The problem with this teacher is that they gave her tons of "support" but I honestly think that was part of the problem. The P would come in and say one thing, and the next day the AP would come in and say something completely different. They assigned her a "mentor" who was kind of teaching her to do things the way the school used to run (under the previous admin who was WAY different) and when she followed her advice the P didn't like it. An instructional coach told her to change her centers around and when she redid them under the guidance of the coach, the P essentially said they were horrible and gave her a really poor score for them on her evaluation. She was also supposedly given the "gifted/high" class, but whoever tried to track the students last year didn't really seperate them out. She had 3 gifted students, but the other students weren't the "high" kids at all, so when the gifted coordinator gave her advice about how to teach whole group it would often leave the other students behind. Then their was the literacy coordinator who came in kind of in a "coach" role and said different things than all of the abov people. She wants to keep doing her best and "prove them wrong" but honestly I think if she would just ignore them all and quit stressing about which thing is the "right" thing to do for that day depending on who she happens to be talking to, her classroom would be so much better.

I had the same problem with the conflicting opions at the beginning of the year and you just never know who to trust or what they're looking for. They really backed off of me when they saw how good my MAPs data was in November or so (ridiculous, but lucky for me) and have barely been in my classroom at all since then. I think I've gotten one walkthrough since November while this teacher has gotten at least 2-3 a week.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 4, 2013

So your Admin is a **** show.

Not surprised!

I survived the same situation...non-renewal and everything. I did not explicitly tell my new P that I was non-renewed, however I was honest about leaving "due to administration." I explained the inconsistency in (or lack of) feedback, few resources, high staff turnover. I wanted a relationship with a kind and supportive Admin that would play on my strengths and help me improve my weaknesses.

I had 5 interviews and 2 job offers, so it can work out! Best of luck to the both of you.

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

26. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 4, 2013

I had a teacher come into my classroom at lunch today discussing a similar situation. Basically almost everybody who hasn't been around for 5 or more years at our school is laid off every summer and rehired. This teacher was worried because of a letter the principal sent to everyone regarding low enrollment and removal of NCLB funding, and how we may have to lose .40 of a teacher. Perhaps I should be worried seeing as I have the lowest seniority, but I'm not really letting it get to me. I am wondering if I should apply for jobs this summer though just in case.