Friend backing out of paid event...can't get refund...what to do?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by missjessica, Aug 10, 2011.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

I think all of you on this site give great advice on so many issues and scenarios, I thought I'd ask you about this:

I organized a river rafting trip for a group of friends from college. Three of my friends are going, plus my friend's girlfriend. I paid for the whole thing and they each wrote me checks to pay me back (except the girlfriend never paid me because she lives somewhere else and didn't have my address).
    Just a week away from the trip he tells me they broke up and that she won't be going. The company doesn't allow refunds so I have been trying to find someone to go but there is a big music festival in San Francisco this weekend and almost ALL of my friends are going to that.

If I can't find someone (which at this point I won't), is he responsible for paying me the $60 his ex-girlfriend owed me?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

I think HE needs to find a replacement. If he doesn't find anyone, he needs to cough up the money.

4. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 10, 2011

QUOTE=Caesar753;1500899]I think HE needs to find a replacement. If he doesn't find anyone, he needs to cough up the money.[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat: She's his responsibility and if he can't find a replacement, then he definitely owes you the money.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 11, 2011

Yup, I agree, it's on him to find a replacement or pay you the $60. This person was only part of the original group attending because of him.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 11, 2011

I agree wtih the rest. He's responsible. Either he finds someone to go with you, or he should pay.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 11, 2011

I agree with the others. You shouldn't be stuck with her cost.

8. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Ok good. I let him know a few times but he didn't respond (by email). I will tell him after our rafting day ends. I thought I maybe was being too harsh.

9. Harper

Harper Companion

Aug 11, 2011

Can you tell him now so he can try to find another friend to go? Granted, Outside Lands is tough to beat, but maybe he knows someone?

10. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Oh, I told him about 5 times. I let him know as soon as he told me that the girlfriend wasn't going anymore. I thought I was being too harsh and that he wasn't going to find someone. That's why I asked all of you :)

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2011

There are ways it could have been arranged so that she owes you instead of him, but from the sound of it he owes you (since it seems the communication was going through him, so he effectively ordered two tickets).

If it's any consolation to him, he could try to get her to pay the money if he can't reasonably find a replacement. However, he may not want to do so.

12. Harper

Harper Companion

Aug 11, 2011

Five times! Wow, you deinetely did your part! He absolutely owes you the money! Have fun!