Friday Interview...hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Jul 21, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

I checked my messages and see that I was called for an interview on Friday.

Yippee!! ... well hold off...there are GOOD points, and bad points to it.

Good- It's a JOB! For goodness sake...what could be wrong with THAT???

Bad- It's for an instructional aide position

Good- Instructional aides are stepping stones...to REAL jobs. and all you NEED is a opening. You KNOW you are a better teacher than is demonstrated by the lack of interviews and no offers.

Bad- It's only July. That's cutting out options for greater opportunities WAY early. I know that it would take the heavens parting for me to break a contract /burn my bridges...and to limit myself so early! Oooooooo

Good- Limit? Perhaps...but last year you thought the big opportunity would come , and it didn't. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And ANYWAY..look at this schools "report card" score percentages in the 90s. Higher than the district average, and well above the state average. NICE neighborhood. AND it's the district you did your student teaching in...THEY are the ones calling for interviews the most, you ARE on their preferred hire list-so THAT'S good (AND a vote of confidence), and mostly...don't pi$$ them off by turning down an opportunity. Talk gets around and who knows how many other lost opportunities would be connected to turning this down.

Bad- Oh the openings that I might miss. Yes...the two in the bush are looking SO tempting. I'm doing walk-ins tomorrow...what IF?

Good- Next year...you would be eligible for the internal openings..and this district is ONLY internal openings-unless you are in VERY tough to find positions (how many dual language Japanese/English applicants ARE there?)

Bad- Do you realize that an instructional aide gets only about 1/2 what a teacher gets? HALF!!!! Would you settle for half THIS early??
    You are the ONLY breadwinner in the house...and you would go for a job that pays like NOTHING??

Good- 1/2 is SURELY more than nothing! You went the sub route...you complained you weren't called enough to make it worth it!! (And you cry at night about having to leave the field of education ALTOGETHER...this gives you the opportunity to ..grow.)

My daughter is yelling at me. I swear she is such an old soul. And at times I feel like SHE is the adult and I am only a bud. "Mom, don't DO this to yourself. Don't say that there are rainbows out there somewhere that you won't take the ONLY opening for a temporary umbrella salesman! TAKE IT! HAVE the positive...work towards the dream step by step!"

Sheeesh...who RAISED this kid??? :p

What do you think about at LEAST going for the interview. At worse, I see what an aide interview is like...and best?... well, Let's see how it goes.

But what do YOU think? Would you go? Would you accept?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

This was me last year at the same time. I took the aide position. The P was cool and said before I even accepted that he knew my goal was to be a FT teacher and to just let him know if one came up before school started. Sooooo, I am in, but there haven't been any internal openings. Looks like another year as an aide.

But, when I first started out teaching, I was an aide. I was hired in that building as a teacher when they had their first open position.

So, what I am saying is.....take the aide position. It may take longer than we expect, but it is a great beginning.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009

Would I go? Most definitely, crazy not to.

As far as accepting or not, well, you sure make good arguments for both sides! One thing to consider though, let's say it's offered and you say yes, there's no contract to sign. So should something else come along, you wouldn't be breaking a contract. I can't imagine if you say to them a month from now that you got a teaching position that they wouldn't understand you taking it and leaving them. And hey, I'm sure they'll be able to make another person happy by offering the job you are now leaving open.

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I would go. Who knows it's only Tuesday and a lot can happen between now and then. What if a teacher job opens, you already have an interview for an aide...that's one foot in the door. They may interview you and say "Hey! she'd make a great teacher."
    I'm feeling like it's the end of July and I don't have anything--It's encouraging to read your "...it's only July. That's cutting out options for greater opportunities WAY early."
    **love your daughter's saying by the way.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2009

I would go to the interview and then if you're offered the position I would decide if I wanted to take it or not. Good luck!

7. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I agree with Jessica and tb. Just take one day at a time, who knows something may come up before Fri.!

8. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I would take the interview, and see what happened after that. You might really not like it, or you might have another offer before they get back to you- or you might take it and have a great year in that position. As for the contract, I would think that since they know you, they would expect that you would be looking for a proper teaching job as well, so if you were able to find something, they would not be too upset if you were to approach them and tell them that a FT teaching job had been offered to you. And maybe it would get you the leg up in that school district if openings were to come up. Good Luck!

9. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I would go. It doesn't mean you have to take it but if nothing else comes up and it's offered then at least you are making some money. I know on another post that I declined to interview for an aide position but that is because after paying chilcare I would only be making about $200 a month. To me, that's not worth it. I'd rather sub when my husband is off of work during the week and not put my 8 month old in daycare. So, go for it McKenna!! It can't hurt anything to go, right?

10. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 21, 2009

Go for it. Think about the fact that you will also have benefits (insurance, retirement, etc...). Plus, you won't have to do report cards or conferences! :D

The aides who do a rocking job in my district almost always get hired. You WILL have to go way above and beyond, so be prepared that it won't be easy. We had two aides in my building go for teaching jobs this year. The slacker didn't get hired, even after interviewing at multiple schools. The other one got hired with just one interview (as opposed to the normal four stages). She showed up early every day, created things for students, and made a difference.

As long as you do what you know is best for students, it will get noticed. Most of the principals that I have met have truly wanted to help aides with certification get into teaching positions.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2009

First - McKenna, I LOVE reading your posts :) and you raised your daughter to be the wonderful, supportive young lady she obiviously is!!

I think you have gotten great advice from the previous posters. Give it a shot, and not this makes a difference but I do think contracts for aides are slightly different then teaching contracts maybe not as binding

Good Luck . . . keep coming with those wonderful posts

12. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I would go to the interview and take the job if offered. In fact, I'm hoping to get an assistant position if I don't get a full-time position. Like you said, in this particular district, even assistants get first dibs on open positions for the next year. I'm willing to work for a year on a lower pay scale to have in pay off in the long run.

I'm single and live alone though; I know things aren't as simple for you. I don't know your situation but if you're making aide pay is there any way you'd be able to get assistance from the government or keep your part-time job? I know it's not ideal but it wouldn't be forever.

Good luck with your decision.

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I would, without a doubt, go to the interview and see how it pans out. Being an IA for a year might be worth getting a shoe-in position next year in a great district! Those are hard to come-by.

good luck