Friday Folders

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Jul 11, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I've read that some teachers hand back work only on Fridays. Do you do this?

3. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

My school hands back work and important papers in a special bright folder that goes home on Thursdays only. Most parents won't check the folders over the weekend.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2009

I use legal sized manila folders (laminated and stapled on the sides) with their names on the tab. They stay in a file bin all week and all their checked/graded work goes in there with the school newsletter and report cards/progress reports. The folders come back on Monday with anything that needs to be signed in them.

5. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Love this idea!

6. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I was in 5th grade and I sent home work every other week last year, but since I am moving grades, I will be doing weekly, not sure what day.

7. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Oy, yeah I will also include a running sheet for parent signature.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

I do Friday Folders. It's a two pocket folder, everyone in the room has the same color. One pocket has a parent sign off sheet- 2 columns-one column for signature, one column for comments/questions. The other pocket gets packed with checked work from the week, school communications, etc. As I check work during the week, I put it in the Friday Folder bin. My mailbox helper picks up the work during snack time and files the work into individual mailboxes. On Fridays I hand out folders and the kids pack them up. I check for parent signatures/comments on Monday mornings during the kids' snack or specials.

9. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

We use Wednesday folders. It is a long white folder, and on the front of the folder are places for the parents to sign, date, and put any comments if needed. The students are to bring them back on Thursday.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

My school sends home important papers, advertisements and other 'stuff' on Wednesdays. The parents know to expect it then.

I send home graded work on Mondays. (This gives me the weekend to get caught up) On the front of the folder, I have a chart that has each class listed and a place to mark if anything was late but turned in last week, or if an assignment is missing. Parents initial the folder and return it by the following Monday.

I love having this record, so parents can't say they never see their child's work or didn't know they were missing work. It has saved me in many cases.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2009

I've always sent home work on Fridays only, both for 3rd grade and 5th grade. I didn't have them get signatures.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

I send home a daily folder with a behavior chart for the parents to sign. I send work as it is graded. I prefer to keep in daily contact with my families.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2009

I have a daily folder too with a behavior chart and ungraded class work in addition to the graded work on Fridays.

14. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

We use agendas for daily contact and homework assignments...my weekly folder will be for graded work only...

15. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I love hearing these ideas! We have agendas for daily communication and the students fill in the color they were on with a crayon (monthly color coded behavior chart).

After hearing your ideas, I'm thinking about starting a classwork folder that goes home on Monday's. The classwork will have any worksheets or graded work from the past week on the right side of the folder. Then, I'll have the parent sign/initial the paper on the left side once a week, it will have a space for questions/comments.

If the school sends a paper home that needs to go home that day, I will send it and make sure it's with the agenda book. What do you think? Parents will really be okay with getting work back once a week? Do any parents complain?

16. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

sophie1- Parents do not complain...my Principal, loves all the documentation, too. Also for any daily communication in agendas if it is important, I staple it too.

17. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 12, 2009

At my school k-2nd does Friday folders. We use them as a kind of weekly news letter. Its just a manilla folder on one side it tells what we are doing and their grades in each subject. The other side is reminders and or a teacher comment place. I also send the next weeks spelling words that gives them plenty of time to study before Wednesday's test. I almost always get them back on Monday and parents can send a note back if they have a question about anything (grades, behavior, snacks etc.)

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2009

My parents appreciate knowing where to look for papers and a way to see how the child is doing - it is much easier to tell with all the work in one place than seeing one paper per day come home. I haven't had any problems getting the folders back other than occasionally getting it on Tuesday instead of Monday. There is a note on the front that says: Please look at all the papers in this folder and review it with your child. Please help your child remember to return the folder with any signed notes on the next school day.

19. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks for the reply Tasha~ good to know!

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 12, 2009

Same here. My school supplies us with a special envelop that we send home on Thursdays. They would probably get lost over the weekend.

21. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 12, 2009

I send "signed papers" on Wednesdays since that's the night with no homework. They are to be returned the next day (or whenever the parents sign them). I keep a log in there for signatures and comments.

22. elysiansmiles

elysiansmiles Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

That's an interesting idea - I was sending papers home everyday but I may get a better response if parents are looking for them on only one day.

For those who have parents sign sheets - I love that idea! Do you do anything if the parents don't sign (call them or try to get them to sign?) I can forsee a problem with some parents not returning the paper signed.