Friday folders???

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by mandy1221, Aug 2, 2002.

1. mandy1221

mandy1221 Rookie

Aug 2, 2002

I feel like I am posting like crazy today...I guess I am just realizing that it is already August AHHHHHHHHH. Anyway...a lot of teachers that I have spoken to suggest having Friday folders. That is keeping all of the students work (handouts, projects, etc) in a folder until the end of the week. Many people say that this process takes off the stress of having to correct papers by the next day. And that it is nice for the parents to get everything at once rather than miscellaneous papers throughout the week. Any thoughts on this?

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 3, 2002

I have always used Friday Folders (or whatever day you choose)... I think it's more convenient all around.

Parents always knew to expect it. Parents don't ever look in their child's backpack anyway, but if they know there is one particular day they'll find something, they're more apt to see it sooner. ;) Monday is a good day to send them home too since weekends are kind of hectic for families, but I always used Friday because it was the day I had my extra planning time and had the time to get them ready. Also, lunch money was due Monday, so it gave them a safe way to transport their lunch money envelope.

I have done it a couple of different ways...

I prefer this way: I got large 9x12 manilla clasp envelopes and wrote the kids' names in block letters. Then I let them color and decorate the envelope with markers. I used a "special delivery" graphic from a Mailbox book and put a note something like: "Please keep these papers and return any notes, lunch money, etc. in this envelope." I laminated the envelope, then used a razor blade to cut the opening. They last all year. If a child loses their envelope, I just staple their pages together and don't waste my time making a new one. :rolleyes:

Another way: Use a file folder (although papers fall out in backpack more easily) and staple a communication sheet in the front. I put a place for parents to sign each week and space for a note if needed. I added comments on occassion and parents could respond. The kids decorated a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper that had their name written in large letters. I also laminated these folders.

Another way used by the 4th grade teacher I student taught with: Use a large manilla envelope... put all the papers in the envelope. On the front of the envelope, place boxes, or a grid to write the date the envelope is sent home. In the box we wrote the number of papers being sent home so kids couldn't hide their papers with "bad" grades. The parent signed in the grid space to show they received the papers and when it the envelope was returned, we placed a sticker on that box. I hope this makes sense. :)

To keep papers organized until the day folders/envelopes go home, I use letter size cubbies to sort the papers. Then I just grab their stack of papers and place it in the folder/envelope. I usually send home a newsletter that day, too.

Let me know if I should explain anything else!

4. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 3, 2002

We sent home Thursday Folders. This way the kids could bring it back to us signed on Friday. I think it worked out great.

We used those 3 pronged folders, the kind that has the three tabs to hold paper and pockets on each side. I put a sheet in the front that had all of my behavioral objectives on the left side and the week # across the top. I would a check or an X to show whether the child had accomplished that objective this week. I put three blank sheets of paper in the back for parent/teacher notes. Any loose sheets being sent home were put in the pockets of the folder.

Nick

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 4, 2002

I used the same type of thing when i student taught in 5th grade, and was thinking of using this for my new job teaching first. I found it to be wonderful! It saved me from having to grade papers every night, and saved money, I only put a sticker on the top page of there packet, (rather than one on every worksheet they handed in)

I stored there work in an accordion filing folder. Each child had a slot and on Fridays, I pulled them, stapled the pile, and gave it to them to take home! the kids loved seeing what they did each week, and the parents liked knowing when to expect worksheets to come home! :)

6. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 5, 2002

At my school, everyone uses Home/School Communication folders (sent home on Monday). On the left side of the folder is a form that you date and sign and mark whether or not a conference is need for this child, parents do the same. On the left side you put in weekly paper, newsletter, etc. The office makes sure any important papers are given to us in time to send home in folders. The parents sign and return. It is a great way to document communication between parents and teachers.

7. KLaMonda

KLaMonda Rookie

Aug 5, 2002

I have a daily folder that goes home every day with homework and important papers, notes etc, as well as a manilla envelope with metal clasps that goes home on Fridays with the week's graded work. I have a hanging folder for each student, and they hang in a clear bin designed to hold them. After papers are graded, they go in a "to be filed" tray, sitting next to the clear bin, and when I get a chance throughout the week, I file them in the hanging folder for each child. On Friday, my para takes out the papers from each hanging folder, staples them, and they go home in the manilla envelope. I agree you should laminate the manilla envelope so it lasts all year, and I think it's a great idea for parents to sign it before it comes back to school on Monday so you know they looked at the work. I actually don't do it though because it's just another thing fo rparents to have to remember to do- if the work is gone from the folder, I just assume it's been looked at.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 5, 2002

I don't like sending folders home on Fridays. I have found that parents and students forget to get them signed and returned over the weekend. I think if you tried to send folders home more than once a week you would wear yourself out.

Please give me suggestions for students who do not return their folders????

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2002

Hi. I have always used Friday folders. I keep a file box with one pendaflex file per student. Students usually do the filing. The school newsletter goes out on Friday and that's on top. I staple the work together and place on each child's desk on Friday afternoons. This way, when absent students return, they can check their folders quickly, and they won't miss any notices, newsletters or work.

When students did not return their envelopes (9 x 12), I made them new ones and send a note home. This past year, though, I just sent the work stapled instead. This was 5th grade and I made the kids responsible for parental concerns.

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 5, 2002

I like Nick's idea of sending home on Thursday. I agree with you about getting things back over the weekend. I especially had trouble with the kids who stayed with a different parent on the weekends. They often left the folder there, and it would be long forgotten by the next time they visited.

For the kids who forget folders, you could provide some kind of small reward, or I have even heard of some teachers withholding recess if they don't bring it back.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

Nick, I like the idea of posting your behaviorial objectives. Would you share the details of your list? I would love to see it. fmostek@wwa.com

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

For the first time I will be teaching 5th grade in an elementary school rather than a middle school and perhaps Friday folders are the norm there. We saved papers in a portfolio for conferences. Do you still do that when you have Friday folders?

13. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 7, 2002

I think that providing a reward for students who brought back their folder would be fine--if it was important enough to you to want to purchase incentives. My school provides the folders--I may give one new one--after that I just staple papers and send home in backpack.

I would never withhold recess or anything else from a child that didn't return the folder. The child very well may be reminding parents to sign and return, the child can't be responsible for the parents actions. I'm a big proponent of rewards anyways, rather than punishments in situations like this.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 7, 2002

Our grade level (1st grade) sends home folders everyday. The folder consists of a weekly newsletter and homework for the week, (which only goes out on Monday), a reading log, a behavior manilla folder (inserted inside), any notes from the teacher or from the office, and any graded work (which is usually handed back on Monday). I know it sounds like a lot, but if the children take home this folder everyday, it serves as a communication link between the teacher and the parents. The parents love being able to go to one source to find out what their children are learning and how they are doing in school. I pass these folders out everyday, 15 minutes before school ends, and collect them the next morning in a plastic bin. During my conference time, I check folders to see if any parent has sent me a note or a request for a conference. It has worked out well, and it teaches the children to be responsible!
    Corinna

15. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 7, 2002

I have a question for Upsadaisy, and anyone who can help. She mentioned that her students file their own work. I am teaching 3rd grade for the first time this year, after three years in PreK, and I am intent on having the students file all their own work.

How does that system work for you? Is there one person each day whose job is to file all the papers, and when do they do so? (I used to have a child do this during free choice time, but I still worried that it violated confidentiality, meaning that the helper saw everyone's grades. Does that matter at the 3rd grade level?)

If each child files his or her own, when does this occur and how do you keep things running efficiently?

Thanks for your suggestions and for sharing your experiences!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 7, 2002

It is my first time here. I found it interesting. It gave me knowledge how to become effective teacher. The topic is so good. You can count on it making my worload not so hectic and messy. I fond of reading some thought from people around the world. By the way am SAMUEL SACAPANO JR. an English teacher enthusiast from Philippines. Friday folder is new to me.. I want to follow some basic activities in dealing with it. Thanks give me more knowledge pls..

17. ElemenTeri

ElemenTeri Guest

Aug 10, 2002

I guess I don't get it. You make a folder and put all the child's work in it from the week. How does this 'take off stress of having to correct papers by the next day'? When do the papers get corrected if they need to be sent home on Friday? I have never heard of Friday Folders so I am not sure I quite understand how they are used. Any details for a newbie?

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2002

Friday Folders eliminate the need to send papers home daily. Our entire school uses Friday Folders, so every parent knows to look for the folders. Before I correct papers, I put them in ABC order, the same as my gradebook. I keep their folders in the same order & then when I get a minute I put their work in their folders. I think the accordian file is a great idea & would make it really easy to put papers in their folders.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2002

AngelaS - I keep a file box with one file (pendaflex) per student. After I grade papers I just put them on top of the file. One child per week has the job of 'filer'. Either at the end of the day, or whenever that child has the time, he or she files papers. If they don't get to it, I slip them in. On Friday afternoons, I tuck in the school newsletter and staple the packets of papers. The 'filer' student gives them out in Friday afternoon homeroom. That's all there is to it.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 20, 2002

THE PROBLEM WITH SENDING HOME CORRECTED WORK AT THE END OF THE WEEK IS THAT STUDENTS NEED IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK! THEY'RE NOT GOING TO LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES IF THEY DON'T GET THEIR PAPERS BACK UNTIL THE WEEKEND. I COLLECT HOMEWORK FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, AND I HAVE IT GRADED BEFORE LUNCH SO THAT ANY PROBLEMS CAN BE ADDRESSED RIGHT AWAY. (ALL OF MY SPECIALS ARE IN THE MORNING, SO I USE THAT HALF HOUR TO GET THE HOMEWORK GRADED). ALL OF YOU WHO WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY TO SEND HOME PAPERS ARE DOING YOUR STUDENTS A DISSERVICE. IT MIGHT TAKE A LITTLE EXTRA TIME TO GRADE PAPERS DAILY, BUT WE SHOULD KEEP THE BEST INTERESTS OF OUR STUDENTS IN MIND.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 20, 2002

I go over all work with my students before filing. Sometimes (as in math), we even review before they turn in their homework. You are right about the need for feedback. It depends on the importance, though, and how the material was presented the first time. Usually I go over the instructions and do some sample problems when I am assigning the work.

22. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 21, 2002

I give papers back daily now, but last year it was a schoolwide policy to use Thursday folders. I think it is a bit harsh to say that we are doing the kids a disservice. Like someone else mentioned you can always review the work with the kids, and often times you will spend a week going over a particular skill anyway and the homework is really just practice for that skill.

If you are assessing your kids through observation all through out the day like you should be then you can provide feedback then. I agree that it is good to give the papers back to the kids asap, but I doubt it is really hurting them any to get papers back on Thursday or Friday.

Realistically most kids glance at the papers for a second or two and put it away anyway.

Nick

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2002

In my building Friday Folders are a SCHOOL POLICY!! That does not say that feedback is not given until Friday night (or Sunday night or never, depending on when the parent looks at the folder), it says that completed papers are sent home on Friday. Students need feedback from their teacher & that needs to be done BEFORE work goes in the Friday Folder.