Friday Folders?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacher62604, Jul 30, 2005.

1. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone else do Friday Folders? And how do you do it? Thanks!

3. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

For each child I have a manilla folder where I collect all of their work, school announcements and my weekly newsletter. On Friday I staple their packet together with my newsletter on top. All of this goes into the Friday Folder. At the end of the day on Friday I hand the folders out and the kids take them home for the weekend. We read the newsletter together and they go through the pack to make sure everything is theirs. On the front of the folder I have a sheet that is stapled to it that says, "Friday Folder - Please return the folder empty on Monday. Enjoy your child's work!" They hand them back in on Monday morning into the completed work basket. I ususally have a helper on Friday that makes sure all of the papers are filed. Their names are in alphabetical order (by first name) on the manilla folders. I tried the assigning numbers to the kids but they didn't really latch onto it. I love it because you are only sending work home once a week. Also, in my beginning of the year parent packet I tell about the Friday folder and how it works so they know when they will see work from school.

4. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 30, 2005

That sounds good. Thanks so much. I was trying to figure out "exactly" how to do it. Thank You!

5. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

I do what "Newto2ndgrade" does. I used to just send the work home everyday but have found the kids and parents look forward to the Friday Folders. The parents know exactly when the newsletter/student work is coming home and actually pay more attention to it.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2005

I use one of those hanging file folder baskets to file student and office papers in and then stuff them in my folders on Thursdays. I have a parent comment/signature/behavior report that is attached to the folder (about 5 weeks per page) . File, stuff, send. That simple. Although I have had a hard time getting to find time or people to file papers....

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

We do Monday Folders schoolwide. Important papers go home on this day. We request at the beginning of the year that students bring 3 folders. One of them is used for Monday Folders. We have a sheet attatched to the folder that the parent/guardian is suppost to sign. Some teachers give a treat for bringing it back signed, some give a point in the gradebook.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 30, 2005

lve2tch,
    I also have trouble fitting in dealing with all the papers; I'd much rather be working on things to use in class. Teaching 4th, I have students who can file, but I am hesitant to let them file other students' graded work. I do let them file all of the papers from the office that need to go home.
    I buy enough folders for the class, all the SAME color, print out a colorful weekly folder sign, glue the sign on the folders, and laminate them. They usually last all year and very few students lose them.
    Missy

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2005

Our parish (K to 6th grade anyway) have blue folders ever Tuesday. The school provides blue pocket folders with a different colored card for each grade (I have no idea why they worry about the color there). All test papers for the week go home and the card is signed. We don't keep papers (I wish we did.) We are required that all tests finished that week go home w/i 5 school days and they are pretty strict on that. I have a slotted box with a slot for each child. As I grade papers either I, or a student put the papers in the box, that way when Tuesday rolls around I just take the whole stack out, count it, staple it, and stuff it in the folder.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

That's funny. Our K-1 school worries about color as well. They have blue plastic folders for Kindergarten, and white for 1st grade. Those folders are really nice though. They have the school name and logo printed on it.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2005

I have folders that I distribute every Monday to the families as well. Every single folder is red because I want all of them to be the same color. In there, I have my class newsletter as well as graded papers and whatever else is needed.

It drives me I-N-S-A-N-E whenever a child LOSES a folder, though.

12. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

I use a slotted box like ChristyF mentioned. You can get them at office supply stores. The cardboard ones cost less, but I got mine for under $30.. It is pressed wood on the outside with cardboard dividers. We send home a Tuesday folder. I usually get a parent volunteer to come in and stuff the folders for me. Some things I file as I get and some things I just stack up for the volunteer to do and some things I have the kids just put right in their box.

13. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 31, 2005

Wonderful Ideas! I just had a quick question though. Someone mentioned that they laminate the folders. How do you do that if they have pockets? Or do they not have pockets? Just wondering because it sounds like a great idea. :)

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 31, 2005

You can laminate folders with pockets, but not if they have fasteners. Open the folder and smooth it to lay fairly flat, set the laminator on a slow setting and laminate the folder. I then use an exacto knife to cut open the pockets. It has worked great for me and the folders really hold up for the entire year. The kids are always so excited to take them home for good in June! (I know, it's JUST a folder.)

15. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 31, 2005

I didn't even think about the exacto knife thing! That's great. Thanks! I know what I'll be doing. I appreciate it!

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 31, 2005

I do the same thing with 10" x 13" clasp envelopes. We use them to send guided reading books home.

17. divey

divey Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Our school also sends home folders on Monday, but something our grade level (2nd) has added, is a grade summary for the previous week. We have just made a template chart with spaces for each subject as well as behavior, completes work on time, and a space for parent's to sign. The chart I use has enough spaces for a nine week period, but some have one that works for a whole semester. We just staple this sheet to the inside of their folder, and there ya' have it! It takes time to fill out each one (although actually putting the grades on the folders doesn't take very long...maybe 15-30 minutes, but it's the procrastinating that'll get'cha! :D), but the parents really seem to appreciate knowing every week how their child did (grades AND behavior). We are able to keep on top of things this way, and there are "usually" no surprises come parent/teacher conference/report card time.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

We do a mid-six weeks review. I alternate, 1st 6 weeks is a detailed report on not just grades, but behavior, work, etc, then the 2nd is a more simple form for grades and AR. I althernate between these for the rest of the year.

19. lucy2529

lucy2529 Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I have never done this and it sounds great for the teacher and the parents. But does anyone find (especially Friday folder people) that the parents get overwhelemd by all of this as once and/or don't really look on a Friday because of the weekend. What do you do if there is some important announcement or something? This also may make me (a procrastinator!) put off all my grading until Thursday night and then have way too much to do. Let me know how your parents respond...this sounds good....but I feel I would have some saying...."You only do work on Fridays little Suzy" =)

20. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 1, 2005

I have never had a weekly folder because I want parents to get used to checking their child's folder daily. I tell my parents at Meet the Teacher night to always check their child's folder because important information is always coming in - field trip, emergency notes, etc. Additionally, I will procrastinate too!

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2005

At my son's school they have a folder that they bring home every day. THen they have a folder for all week papers. Plus they have a behavior folder that got sent home every Thursday. Too me that was too many folders. However it did keep me informed. I subbed there quite often and well it was a little overwhelming for someone who wasnt used to the routine of folder checks and depening on what day it was you had up to three folders to check in. I think (when and if I get a postion this year) we will use at least one folder. My only problem to the folders is that if the child forgets it or the parent doesn't sign it the student gets in trouble. Well, as a busy parent of 4 and trying to go to school I havent always been right on top of the signing folder thing. Fortunately my kid's teachers have always understood, but I know when I have subbed there have been kids physically upset and sick because they didnt get there folder sighned again for whatever reason. Its sad to see that part. Hopefully these rules will someday change at our school.

22. darzie

darzie Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Our school sends home Friday folders. In my class, I have a colorful milk-type crate that houses my hanging folders. I have my folders numbered 1 - 31... one for each student. On one side of the Friday folder, I label it WORK, and on the other side NOTES. The kids separate them in the proper categories when they take the papers out of their hanging folders on Fridays. The kids always put their numbers on their papers, therefore, the papers can easily be filed. I have a few kids who are my filers and they do it during their free time. It doesn't take them long, as they do it daily. I have a signature/comment sheet in the folder as well. Parents always sign that they've seen the papers. When the kids bring the folder in signed on Monday, they receive a sticker on their folder. You wouldn't think 5th graders would care about stickers, but they do! If I forget to put them on, they certainly remind me! Parents often greatly appreciate getting their papers home on one day of the week. That way they know when to expect them, and they aren't bombarded with papers all week long.

23. darzie

darzie Companion

Aug 1, 2005

I think it's important to mention that kids need immediate feedback on their work wheneve possible. I correct work daily and pass it out for the kids perusal. After corrections or explanations are made, the kids pass their papers back in and I place it in a filing basket for the filers to file. This avoids the kids jamming their papers in their backpacks or in their desks. Also, very few kids don't turn their folders back in. I have occasionally had to replace one, but very seldom.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2005

Have any of you used the Friday folders for Preschool? I notice the parents don't seem to like digging through their child's basket every night. I am wondering if it would better impress on them exactly what we do on a daily basis. Would you believe I had a parent ask me today if I teach them letters???!!! I felt like saying, "NO", we just sit and stare at one another all day and then we go home....

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

he..he..he.. You always have parents like that.

26. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

My school requires that we send a weekly folder home. I preferred Monday - could catch up on grading on the weekend if I need to, write newsletter on weekend, etc - but because most people did Friday Folders, I switched to Friday to make it easier for the parents. I occasionally have a family that has difficulty with Friday Folders due to custody issues and weekend visitation, so I just make special arrangements for them.

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2005

Who suggested laminating the folders? I did it yesterday and only ruined 1! Great idea.

28. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

Thanks!

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2005

:p All I know is, I am excited about the folders...isn't that funny how we get so excited about things like that?!

30. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 3, 2005

Yeah I am too. I think all teachers have to be a little "crazy" like that! :) LOL

[​IMG]