Fresh ideas for making items for classroom use.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MOM1TEACHER2, Jun 26, 2009.

1. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

With trying to tighten my personal budget, and of course preschool budget being cut, I am looking for new ideas for recycling items for the classroom and classroom use. Now that it is summer, and we are in between sports, I have some time to do some crafting for school!
    I have starting collecting those snacks that come in a cup. Thinking of turning those into little drums and shakers. My swifter mop box, I think will make a nice planting tray.

Would love to hear from all of youI for more ideas! Please!

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

Also plastic water bottles make great shakers by adding some rocks.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

Free paint stirring sticks from Home Depot or wherever can be decorated to make pointers and sticks for "reading the room"

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 26, 2009

I've saved a lot of those crystal light/walmart GV drink mix tubes with lids. I thought about making shakers out of them.

They would also make good pencil holders.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

Jan Brett has printables on her website where you can print out masks for some of the characters in her books. I've laminated and mounted some of these masks on to those paint stirrers and used them over and over again with my kids. They love to act out the stories that way and the cash outlay is minimal.

Packing peanuts seem to be something I always have lots of. I've used them for painting instead of brushes. The kids loved it.

7. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

pringle cans make a good candle craft for Christmas.
    Mrs.Butterworth bottles can turn into Angels for Christmas.
    Of course, almost any kind of container, cap, or scoops from laundry boxes can be used in the sensory tables,

8. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

Pointers with their own names on them, each child could decorate them to keep at school until the end of the year!
    My kids always fight over the pointer I use!
    I love it when I get help with ideas, thanks my friends!

9. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 27, 2009

Those Gerber Graduate meal trays or lunchable trays are awesome for putting paint in that the kids can use. I make a lot of file folder games for the kids by printing stuff off and coloring them myself. I teach the younger ones so we have a lot of color matching and shape matching games. www.makinglearningfun.com
    This website has a lot of print outs to make games and learning activities.

10. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I save everything. Paper towel tubes, food boxes, old CD's, laundry soap bottles, milk jugs, juice jugs, any kind of paper I can find. I love junk.

Food boxes are the best. You can use them to do grocery store or you can use the fronts and backs to make book covers. You can use any size box. Just cut of the front and back. Cut white paper to fit inside and staple or use brads to hold together. The kids love them!

11. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

We save all the lids off milk containers, soda bottles, water bottles and make hands on letter matching or number matching activities.

12. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

Me too! I have a big ol' box of stuff like this that I use for art projects. I even have a giant ziplock bag of colorful plastic bottle caps. You name it, I save it.

I bought a wonderful book by Jane Bull called Make It! It's full of wonderful and COLORFUL art projects you can make from recycled items. We made the paper bowls as Christmas gifts last year and I plan on doing it again next Christmas. They were so cool!

Anyway - aside from art projects, I like to recycle mini muffin trays and clear plastic containers with lids for math centers. The muffin trays make great sorters and the containers are great vessels for storing countable items. :)

13. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I am recycling cardboard by cutting lots of it into assorted large shapes. The children can paint and assemble them into a relief sculpture, use them as sturdy bases for collage, or incorporate them into the block area.

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

I use the gerber plastic containers with covers to organize samll objects for storage in my classroom supplies and teacher supplies bins--they are great for holding batteries, push pins, googly eyes, beads, etc. I cleaned ut my file abinet today and all the papers I didn't want that didn't hold personal info and were blank on one side went into the art area for drawing and coloring on, I used the plastic lids form the chef boy r dee heat ups to cut out shapes for sorting and stacking and tracing. I go through a ton of the crystal light tubs so I use them for glue and when we are done with the project i thro them away

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

We used the shapnel from tiny toys - like barbie props- to fill the tiny gerber boxes with items for each letter of the alphabet.

P has a penguin, purse (told ya---barbie) and so on.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Some great ideas here. I really like the tiny toys idea that WaProvider suggested. I plan to use that.

17. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I plan on covering a couple of the Chrystal Light tins ( cause I drink a ton of that in the summer) and making them a "take home" type thing. Example we are learning about blue ~ they take the tin home and inside is instructions to fill the container with : blue items.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Mrs Shelia that is cute. I like that idea. I don't drink that---but I am sure I drink something that would work.

19. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 10, 2009

I like that idea too Mrs. Shiela - we don't drink Crystal Lite either, but I'll be figuring out something for it! I'm moving to PreK from Preschool in the fall, so I'm definitely gathering new ideas for a new classroom. I'm really excited to move with my kids from this past school year because I really had a fantastic class!

20. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

MissJennifer-- I too am moving from preschool to pre-K---I'm already looking for ways to advance my curriculum and kep them motivated. Best of luck!

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

How about Country Time Limeade for the Crystal Light containers

22. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 11, 2009

I was going to suggest that mrachelle! Those or the koolaid ones.

23. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 12, 2009

oh those would be great - i think in my new school year letter home, im going to mention those kinds of things that i would love to have donated!

24. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

empty soda bottles and light cooking oil with water added make great discovery bottles --jsut add different types of things to different bottles-- blue paint to one makes a wave bottle, beads, glitter, marbles etc added to one is agreat way to observe cause and effect and diensity. Glitter by itself in just water has a great calming effect. Just put some glue (I use a hot glue stick) on the inside of the cover and put it on tight to seal it so it doesn't leak.

25. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 12, 2009

I love making discovery bottles. I made a "rainbow" of them this last year and my kids LOVE them! I have them in my summer camp room for extra color right now, and even the elementary kids love them! :)

26. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

I save all the trays from frozen meals. They are great for holding tiny items for crafts and as a way to hold paint for sponge projects.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 12, 2009

corn syrup makes a slow bottle.

after making sure the bottle is locked shut----lamp oil and food colored water makes the color mixing bottle.

29. Kase

Kase Companion

Jul 13, 2009

Oh yeah those glitter bottles even calm me! HAHA

30. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

my assistant took a bunch of the crystal light tubes and used them with a ball form the playground to make a bowling game