French Revolution et al..

Discussion in 'High School' started by Historyteaching, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

Does anyone know of sites and or ideas for small activities and the like for the French Revolution and anything it encompasses such as Marie Antoinette, Napoleon, Reign of Terror.

I'm looking for things that could take any amount of time from 5 minutes up to about 30 minutes and anything inbetween. I know of journal work-open ended questions; but I'm trying to think of anything else. On a side note-i am showing clips of Les Miserables (sigh my FAVORITE) and a video from PBS on Marie.

Thanks in advanced (these are 10th graders, but i can always upscale or downscale to fit their needs):D

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2008

Try Googling "______ lesson plan".

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

Been there..done that..multiple times..reason why i was asking in the forum..but thank you

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2008

I once did a timeline of the french revolution in a graphic oraganizer shaped like the frech flag. Then the kids colored it (I will never get past how much fun high school kids have when you let them color!)

I also found some information on how the guillitine (sp) worked and went over that with the kids, they loved it! It also helped them remember the details of the reign of terror.

I found this experiential lesson plan on the net, it is timed for 90 mins but I think you can cut it down

http://www.learnnc.org/lessons/KevinHuntley5232002549

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

wldywall, I think the reason they like to do it so much is because it reminds them of funner times in school.

I'm just now getting interested in this myself. I would really like to see what others come up with.

7. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

Oh, I know about the coloring..the Friday before Easter, all my students took a chapter test (boy i timed that right!) and I gave out Easter coloring sheets to do after..some looked at me weird, but I tell ya, majority of girls and boys grabbed a couple and colored them..AND put them on my bulletin boards with a To Miss A..From (whomever) I said OMG I feel like a Kindergarten teacher! Thanks for the info I was actually trying to find things about the guillotine too

wldywall-I found that lesson earlier today and I am going to use it..but as a journal entry after I pass the goodies out to a few students. I'm going to have all of them write down how they felt when they didn't get a treat and how it connects to the different estates classes in France

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 4, 2008

Along the lines of the coloring pages, I have my students create a poster to rally the third estate. It must contain all the necessary historical facts; why revolution, what we want out of the revolution. My students almost always really crank up the creavtivity and blow me away when we do posters. My pre-revolution activity involves food (always a hit :)) - my students draw cards out of the regular deck of cards in which I have removed all the two of the aces and remove all diamond & club face cards. The king of hearts is Louis and the queen of hearts is Marie, the remaining face cards represents the nobles, the two aces represent the clergy, and the rest are peasants. King, queen, nobles and clergy get to sit in the desk with plenty of room, get 4 cookies each, 10 goldfish each, cushions, juice box and laptops to listen to music. The rest of the class are sectioned off in a taped off square on the floor. They must share 10 cookies, 10 goldfish, no juice box or computer. I give each peasant 4 fake coins. Then the king starts collecting taxes. The kids really enjoy and seem to really "get" what the revolution was about. I also do something similar with the reign of terror - they radomly draw cards to see who dies. It is very unfair and also seem to get what this time period is about.

9. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

oooo..if i wasn't doing the mini activity that I found I'd try that..I think I'll save it and if the one doesn't work this year..try it next year :) Thanks I'm glad i have this place to ask and bounce ideas off of

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2008

Sorry: I was on the way out the door but didn't want to leave you hanging.

(If you tried something as specific as "Marie Antoinette lesson plan" and it didn't do any good, that's definitely to be regretted.)

11. jbj913

jbj913 Rookie

Apr 4, 2008

Unfortunately, Spring Break got in the way of my French Revolution. But...
    An amazing video was done by the History Channel on the French Revolution. And on its website they have questions and a "lesson plan" to go with it.
    Here's what I did:
    Wrote terms for them to take notes on while watching the video. I pause every now and then to stress the important stuff. Then over break they will do an outline of the chapter on the French Rev. When they come back, they will have groups named after Louis XVI (the "materialists"), Marie-Antoinette (all girls), Robespierre (all the braniancs), Danton (all the boys), and Napoleon (the "leaders") Each group will answer study questions using the video notes, outlines, and textbook, and help each other out to all understand. Then I will take a day to go over the questions and lecture/discuss. Then the final day the groups will play a game by answering questions as their test. The winner gets the most As and I shall see who, based on the type of group, will earn their grade.
    *Note: I will not explain the group names as to not discriminate or label. They may pick up on it.

12. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 5, 2008

No worries! Yeah I tried that too..it caome up with stuff, but nothing that would fit, I'm trying for things..this time around..that is more active and hands on than "students will analyze..." and the like.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 5, 2008

Hm. Then perhaps "Marie Antoinette activity" or "Marie Antoinette simulation"?

14. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

I loooove teaching the French Revolution. We go over it thoroughly.... teaching the different sections... causes, etc. Guillotine stories; Pictorial study of Napoleon; comparisons of the committee of Public Safety to the dept. of homeland securtiy; human timelines; .....
    But, what comes after is what I like.... we then go over the concept of what a revolution is ... cause/effect type thing. Then the students have to use the enlightenment ideas (taught immediately before the FR) and the ideas from the FR and apply them to other revolutions/revolts throughout modern history. Ones to choose from: Algerian, russian, Chinese, Mexican, mau mau rebellion, haitian, south america under bolivar & san martin, iranian
    The students work in groups to find out causes, events during, leaders, outcomes, enlightenment ideas and relations to FR
    I love seeing their connections.

15. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 6, 2008

Being my first year-I go alot of times what is in the book without expanding too much more, mainly because I'm relearning alot of these things that I've forgotten or remember parts of it. next year I want to expand and do more (sucks for the students this year :( ) We have discussed what a revolution is and how it compares/contrasts to 'war'. We just got done talking enlightenment and American Revolution. I am going to do a little on Marie Antoinette one because she was 'kinda neat' and two the kids get a kick out of those that get their heads chopped off (go figure) I do want to include things on the guillotine (reign of terror) i'd like to do some type of activity for that too. We did a small comparsion between the AR and FR- i may go back to that and revisit after we learn about FR.

16. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

a fun/creepy idea for a review FR game:
    -divide the kids into groups of 3 or 4.
    -hand to each group member, numbers in red and blue (for flag colors) 1-14 or such. *tell them to keep their numbers secret from other groups, but make sure their group members know their individual numbers
    - Go around from group to group, asking review game style questions...
    - when a group gets a correct answer, they call out a number (ie. Blue 6).
    - Whichever number they call, that student that has the corresponding number "loses his head" and cannot guess answers anymore and has to put his head down).
    - I go around the room by groups, and the kicks missing head cannot help the group answer.
    - I keep track of numbers called on the overhead.
    - Last head up, wins

They love this game.

If you had a supply of black ribbon, you could have them tie it around their necks like the parties of the FR.