Freezing up on observations!

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by mardi08, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Hi all, I just got observed today. I seem to freeze up everytime another adult is watching me. My lesson seemed so robotic and boring. I'm just not natural when it comes to teaching. Does it take time or experience getting in front of the class?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

It might take some time to get used to teaching in front of another adult. Something I have urged others to do is to teach the observation lesson BEFORE the observation and teach it again for the observation. Sometimes that can help!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

Any time you having someone watching you it can be very intimidating. I think that feeling a bit more comfortable with this takes time and experience. Just remember, they don't expect you to be perfect right now. They expect that you are going to be reflective after the lesson and tell how you will improve it next time. Also, with confidence comes that comfort... More observations will help and also making sure you are EXTREMELY comfortable with the lesson you have prepared.(BTW- I still get butterflies in my stomach when I am observed and this will be year 7).

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

I have my seniors the year before, too ... we know each other well by the end of their senior year. My admin came in for an observation during one of my senior classes in April or so. I thought it went okay, but I knew I wasn't myself. One of my more candid students told me afterward, "you didn't smile once when Mr. B was here, what's up with that?"

So, I'm not up for observations every semester anymore (I got tenure!) but the next time I do, I will have a smile plastered across my face!

Teaching in front of my coworkers was terrifying in the beginning, but with time and experience I don't view it any different than teaching my kiddos.

Give it time, the comfort will come.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

I think the nervousness comes from knowing you will be held accountable and have to reflect about everything you do during your lesson via a critique from your boss. There isn't s single teacher in my building who doesn't cringe at the thought of being observed. We all dread it. It doesn't seem fair that we should have this added stress to an already stressful job, huh?

7. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

Thanks! That is a great suggestion!

8. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

If you have a mentor teacher, it may be possible to have them bserve you teaching a lesson or part of a lesson before you're "officially" observed by an adminitrator. Your mentor will be able to give you some constructive feedback, and you will hopefully not be as nervous teaching with them in the room. Even if you're teaching a different lesson for the adminitrator, you will have had some experience being observed.