Freedoms being taken away in some Charter Schools?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Jul 24, 2014.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2014

What are the names of these schools? Where are they exactly? I've never heard of it. I wouldn't have a problem with this if it wasn't a government funded charter school. My first thought was it sort of sounds vaguely like an Amish community or another community like that, and if that's the education parents want for their children then so be it.

2. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

readingrules, this school system has K-5 Archway schools and 6-12 Prep schools. I am certain, based on your description, that we are speaking of the same organization.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 26, 2014

The schools are in Scottsdale, Arizona. There might be more in other parts of Arizona as I have heard they are looking to expand. They are elementary schools (K-5 to the best of my knowledge). All of my knowledge of these schools come from teachers or teachers-aides who have taught there (including one who still does), parents who had their students there, and from students who receive private tutoring from a friend of mine. The schools tend to have waiting lists and they market parents who want their children to be challenged (as far as I have heard). The person who runs it is a Christian (but I am not sure his specific church affiliation). That, of course, tells us very little. While I think that is enough to be fairly confident of what is going on, it is still second hand information.

My purpose in my post was to get people's opinions, so I can personally see if I am being overly concerned or if maybe I should lighten up about this. I don't want to publicly display schools on this site for schools I haven't seen first hand.

4. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

readingrules, I sent you a PM to confirm before I expound any more.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 26, 2014

Are you planning to apply to these schools? Do you have any reason to be personally concerned about them? If they are that bad eventually no parent would want their child in that school so I think they'd close at that point.

6. readingrules12

Jul 26, 2014

Yes, those are the ones. I am just familiar with the K-5 schools. I don't know anyone who is or was working in the 6-12 schools.

7. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

Okay. You are correct that we do not acknowledge popular culture. However, we do NOT state that all of the problems in the world are due to pop culture. The reason for our exclusion of pop culture is that we focus on the high culture of the West, and we believe that popular culture distract students (and teachers) from this focus.

For other people who are curious about the classical education we deliver, it includes studies in Latin, Greek, poetry, and drama, alongside more typical subjects. The curriculum is delivered in a largely Socratic style.

For the person who asked about technology, we do incorporate technology when appropriate. My students are taught on the use of a graphing calculator. The science teachers similarly instruct using technology. However, we do not believe that technology is the linchpin of a school.

If anyone has other questions, feel free to post them.

8. readingrules12

Jul 26, 2014

No, I would not apply to teach to these schools and have no relatives who would send their children to these schools.

These schools are getting to be incredibly popular and are the big buzz in the eastern and northern suburbs of Phoenix. Many private and public schools near these charter schools have felt a large drop in enrollment. I have even heard discussion that in order to compete with them, we need to be more like these schools. I don't want our school to become like these. This is a lot of my concern.

9. readingrules12

Jul 26, 2014

Thank you for clarifying.:)

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 26, 2014

My Upper School English teacher works with the 6th-8th graders each year on Shakespeare. They do a full length, full language production for our school community each spring. Last year it was Romeo and Juliet; A Midsummer's Night Dream was the year before.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2014

Fascinating stuff, MsRed! How do your students react to this structure? Do you find them more on-task and engaged than in a more traditional school setting?

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 26, 2014

I am curious as well! I'm on the website now.

ETA: I'm noticing use of the Core Knowledge Curriculum in elementary. There is a charter near me that does that. I started the interview process there but was hired by another school before the process was completed. I was intrigued by it. I also notice a LOT of classical children's literature, which is really cool.

13. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 27, 2014

Oh, certainly! The students thrive on it. They are not only engaged, but truly engrossed. Many a teacher has joined the organization because their child was enrolled and they were fascinated by the depth of conversation from the child. Even more teachers have joined the schools and then enrolled their children, because they are so impressed by their pupils.

These students, in their senior year, are responsible for writing, and defending in front of a panel, a senior thesis, informed by three Great Books, and it is the culmination of their time at our schools.

The children at these schools truly want to be there.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 27, 2014

Considering my school has a bit of an engagement issue, I'm fascinated by programs that work. I'll have to delve into what you're doing.