Freedom Writers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by deedee, Jan 12, 2007.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2007

If you havent seen this movie, you really need to! I thought the movie was a fantastic testimony to teachers and the efect they can have on thier students.

3. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

I've been really interested in seeing this movie. I think i'll go tomorrow night!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

It's my plan for my day off on Monday.

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jan 21, 2007

My family has seen it, none of whom are teachers, and are on my case to go see it, as I am the only teacher in the family! They said it made them think twice about my job - hopefully, in a good way!

6. kburen

kburen Cohort

Jan 22, 2007

I'm waiting to NetFlix it but can't wait! She (Erin...the teacher) came to my county last year and was our motivational speaker for the "kick off" for the new school year. She bought the book with her (also awesome, check it out!) so we all bought books and got her autograph. We were THRILLED when we found out her story was going to be a movie.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2007

I dont know if I want to see this...kinda sounds like dangerous minds...but with more of a foucs on writing.....Has anyone seen it....thoughts comments?

8. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 22, 2007

I can't wait to see this. I saw a 20/20 or dateline report on the actual teacher and the class that published the book that inspired the film, it looks to be a real inspiration. I wouldn't pigeon-hole it by saying it sounds like dangerous minds. it's based on a true story so I don't think it's just someone trying to rip a familiar movie storyline.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2007

It is a little Dangerous Minds like..but I thought far more realistic and really touching. I think I am going to go get the book for one of my spring break books!

10. kburen

kburen Cohort

Jan 25, 2007

Just thought that I would share this with you. The guy at the school board office who got Erin to come speak with us last year got an email from her with the link and he passed it on to us:

http://www.amctheatres.com/promos/freedomwriters/

Teachers can go see the movie for free for a week at AMC theatres. Too bad we don't have one anywhere near us :(

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jan 27, 2007

Thanks for the info on the free tickets - I am going to post this in my Teacher's Room!

12. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2007

I saw this movie tonight and thought it was great! I really think it is a must see for all of us. Very touching, emotional and motivational!

13. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 5, 2007

Didn't like the movie at all. The concept of this movie has been shown time and time again. It's true reality...well...it isn't one.

14. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

I saw the movie over the weekend. I felt that the movie had a positive message about the difference one person can make if they are really willing to face obstacles and don't give up. Due to the violence & language which was part of the situation she faced, it is rated PG 13 with good reason. I think most teachers would really enjoy it & I don't regret spending the money. (There are no AMC theaters close enough for me to get the free ticket.)

15. smile24

smile24 New Member

Feb 7, 2007

I saw this movie and loved it. It was refreshing and encouraging!

16. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I absolutely loved this movie! YES, it was similar to DANGEROUS MINDS, which I could also relate to in some ways.

In interviews with Ms. Gruwell (the real life teacher), she did admit that deep down, her students DID want to learn but they just didn't know how to go about it.

I also like how Ms. Gruwell seems completely humble. There was no reason for her students and colleagues to think that she was overly financially privileged; she pretty much worked her way through college, as she mentions in her latest book, TEACH WITH YOUR HEART.